DVDVR Message Board

March 2014 Football thread.

The Natural

Let's not pussyfoot around the obvious. United has a large worldwide fanbase, much of whom are some combination of optimistic and ignorant.

Many of the guys wearing United gear are just declaring: "Hello, Community College creative writing class girl.  I'm a worldly guy who knows about stuff like French Hip Hop and African art and other things your dad has never heard of.  I'll be trying to fuck you later after introducing you to Korean beer and "explaining" Captain Beefheart to you and showing you pictures of that week I spent in Brazil where I totally crashed on a strangers couch once!!!! 

I'm trying to convince you that fucking me is a good substitute for ever actually going anywhere yourself and I'm pretty sure this stupid fucking shirt will help my fucking-you efforts by 16% or so!"

[Patrick Stewart Commercial voice-over]You've earned it, business pro, you've earned it![Patrick Steward Commercial voice-over]

• Like 4

I didn't get to see El Classico til late last night via this or that on the internet. I enjoyed the first half more than the second half. First half was great football with two sides really going for it. Second half was ugly, at times a bit of a farce, with dives, undeserved PKs for both sides, a red that should not have been a red, Busquets raking Pepe's head with his studs, but lots of drama and fight and fire from both sides. It was like lots of El Classicos to be honest. Los Blancos made some dumb defensive mistakes and the ref was bad both ways. There is at least one more El Classico for certain left this season coming up on April 19th for the Copa del Rey final.

The way La Liga looks at the top is pretty nuts though after this game. Atletico is on top w/ 70pts, Real are in 2nd w/70pts and Barcelona are in 3rd w/69pts. Atleti have the top spot via the win over Los Blancos earlier in the season despite being tied on points. So many things can and probably will decide this season over the next nine games are left (I think it's nine games at least?). There is a scenario though where Real & Atleti could be tied going into the final day, a day that Barcelona face Atletico. If Barca & Atletico tied or Barcelona won then Real Madrid could win the league provided they win that day. If Real Madrid win that day, in this hypothetical scenario, and Atletico beat Barcelona then Atletico would win the league. If Real Madrid lose or tie that day then Barcelona could win the league by beating Atletico in this scenario. So there is a potential insane last day scenario that could play out in La Liga but I think one, two or all three of the teams will drop some points before that last day and things will probably not be that dramatic on the last day of the season. The last time I saw La Liga this close with more than just Real & Barca up for winning it was the 2006-2007 season, which was an amazing season. 

Busquets is so weird. I mean, he's obviously a highly valuable player yet if you asked me what his two best skills were I'd say "fouling people" and "falling down". And yet if he was offered to any other club, how many could turn him down with a straight face?

That's true. He does a good job of getting the ball to that ridiculous attacking midfield, which makes their job easier.

Maybe he's one of those guys that makes things look easier than they are and it tricks people into thinking he's not trying that hard.

I think they are saying the shot was going to miss the net, even if THE OX didn't handball it. It's still a penalty for a handball in the box, but not a sending off, because the ball was going to miss the net, and the red card offense is for stopping a shot that's going in (like Luis Suarez did in the World Cup).

That's true. He does a good job of getting the ball to that ridiculous attacking midfield, which makes their job easier.

Maybe he's one of those guys that makes things look easier than they are and it tricks people into thinking he's not trying that hard.

He also does an excellent job winning the ball, and not conceding it back to the opposition.  He does use the "dark arts" of getting fouled and diving to protect the ball, but he does his job and rarely gives away posession.  And like Randy said, he's a good passer with a high completion %, and he advances the ball where it needs to go.  He can also slot into the backline and rotate back like when Pique comes forward.  Plus he's one of the tallest players on his team of midgets, so he's crucial for ball winning in the box w headers and such.

Fuck this shit, I'm out.

If its any consolation and you revisit the thread, Arsenal are currently one down at home to Swansea. I'm not watching the Manchester derby, listening to commentary on BBC Radio 5 Live.

Man it has been a pretty dominant first fifteen for City.  The defending for United today has been sloppier than I've seen since I've been watching the premier league.  Is there really that much of a separation between United and City this year or is it just a cold start?

It looks like it was just a slow start as United have done a much better job of clearing and getting their formation together and attacking.  Much more entertaining game.

Its that much of a seperation.  United are listless, and they've pretty much sandbagged Moyes from the start.  But he's also let them do it, and made no adjustments to fix it or hold anyone accountable for fucking around.

EDIT: OH, and everything you need to know about Moyes selection.  Finally lines them up in something other than a 4-4-1-1, and 4 fucking players are out of position!!!!!!  WITH THE FUCKING PROPER POSITION PLAYERS ON THE FUCKING BENCH!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1