DVDVR Message Board

THE GOOD NEWS THREAD!

Burgundy LaRue

I'm buying a house next week. It's a nice one. Called my Landlady to tell her I was moving out, the first thing she said was Congratulations, the second thing she said was Thanks for being such a great tenant.

Bit wierder, but at my work, when you've got to report a fault, rather than phoning whatever company it is that deals with it, you just phone this one call centre who then sorts out who to send out to fix it. When you get through to them, the first thing you hear is your call may be recorded for training purposes.

Apparently if you get a job there, the first call you hear in training is one I did a couple of years ago - to show how a good call goes. Then they go through here's someone angry and abusive, here's someone with a terrible phone line, here's someone who can barely speak English, here's someone so stupid you wonder how they ever figured out how to use a phone call... and then at the end they play another nice one that goes smoothly. Which is me again.

I am the nicest person in the company, it seems.

• Like 4

I thought we were going to have to get a cash advance to pay for our patio to be put back together, because the guy doesn't take credit cards, but it turns out somehow we've got enough money to cover it.

• Like 1

Got called back for three one acts of several at this festival in September. Got cast in the one I wanted, so I've got a show lined up after the one I'm in closes. I'M WORKING MOTHER FUCKERS.

• Like 4

Got the keys to the new house this morning, three hours before I was expecting them. Might have to start packing and order a removal van and stuff soon (I've got two weeks before I have to move out of the flat).

• Like 1

Tonight is our opening night for the production of "The Producers" at the local Community Dinner Theatre! I'm playing a wino, Mr. Marks, A Gay Indian, Jason Green, and Judge Maxwell. Five costume changes and I'm doing set and scene changes. It's gonna kick ass, we got it nailed.

"Watch out Europe, we're going on tour...."

• Like 1

So, this is a pretty great story I get to tell.

June 15th, I walked out of the radio job I'd had for just short of 15 years. The boss and I had been fighting about the same subject off and on for months and I finally had all I was going to take from the man. Two pay raises in the above mentioned 15 years didn't endear me to the man either but the last fight was the straw that broke the camel's back. I had no plan when I walked. I had a little money in savings so I knew we wouldn't starve and lose the house....yet. At that point, I figured I had just walked my way out of a business that some people would kill to get into. I figured I was done in radio.

That evening, as I'm "rage walking" to let off some steam while listening to Slayer on repeat, I get a text from another radio guy in the market. He asks me if something opened up at the group he worked for if I'd be interested. Knowing that food costs money and that my kids will want to continue eating, I said yes. Now, with that said, it should be known that in my market, I'm the fire-breathing rock jock and my ratings were HUGE. I am so branded as such that renaming me and putting me on a different format would have been awkward at best and there were no other rock stations in the market with any local slots open. With this in mind I think to myself "well, country radio, here I come."

Fast forward to that Monday morning. I get a call from my friend again who has just met with his boss. They lay out a plan. Shifting one of their properties from it's current home, an 80,000 watt fm signal over to am where it would be a better fit as it's a talk format. In it's place, launch a brand new rock station with me as morning guy and the face of the station. He basically said "we want you here and we'll create a station just for you." After a lunch meeting that week, I was hired on making five grand more a year with a third of the responsibilities I had at my previous place of business. I had to keep it all a secret until today when the trades broke the news. During the last month while I kept my mouth shut, the former station replaced me with a syndicated show and the listeners revolted...LOUDLY. It actually reminded me of the Daniel Bryan situation. The former place of work pushed the hell out of their show and every time they did it on social media, my on-air name was thrown at them. It's gotten so bad that they had to lock down their facebook page completely so no one can comment on anything. Now, I am tasked with beating the shit out of the station I helped create. I am happy to do this.

I haven't shared this to brag. I just wanted to share a victory that left me pretty humbled. The out pouring of love from the listeners and the enthusiastic recruitment and welcome I got from my new place of employment has been one of the most amazing experiences of my life.

• Like 9

Ramsey:

I knew that you would land on your feet, but this is just tremendous! Make the bastards that you used to work for feel like Mr. Carlson on Thanksgiving Day.

• Like 1

And for my good news... Today marks 30 years of wedded bliss for me and Mrs. OSJ. We're not going to Vegas to renew our vows with an Elvis impersonator or any of the cool stuff that we'd talked about. Being broke and on oxygen 24/7 puts a damper on such things. We're just going to sit home, enjoy the eight cats and our granddaughter*, and perhaps make some salt & pepper shrimp and some brownies for dinner. Yeah, we're boring as fuck, I know...

*Grand niece actually, but the Navajos have no word for aunt, uncle, niece, or nephew. So in this case, the kid has six grandmothers and three grandpas on her father's side of the family. I've no clue about her mom's side of the family. We revel in our position of being the favorite grandparents. ;-)

• Like 4

I know this isn't a life or death thing but after cutting cable this past spring we got cable back today and it RULES. I finally have sports and am in the process of a baseball OD session. The icing on top of the cake is that since we did not eliminate cable in the spring (only cutting down to one box and an extremely basic family plan) our DVR season recordings are saved and I do not have to find and reset these recordings again. They in effect laid dormant since were not subscribed to the channels over the spring and summer. Life is good!

My free 1 year Sirius trial ends next month. I've been on the fence about renewing or not. One the one hand, at $180 a year, it's a little pricey. On the other, I love being able to listen to footy talk in my car. Plus I hate the local music stations here, so having a ton of genres on my dial is amazing.

So, my mind was made up for me today when Sirius sent me a special offer giving me $100 off for the next year. Woo!

• Like 1

My free 1 year Sirius trial ends next month. I've been on the fence about renewing or not. One the one hand, at $180 a year, it's a little pricey. On the other, I love being able to listen to footy talk in my car. Plus I hate the local music stations here, so having a ton of genres on my dial is amazing.

So, my mind was made up for me today when Sirius sent me a special offer giving me $100 off for the next year. Woo!

Of all the things I miss about being in the States, I think I might miss my satellite radio the most.

I submitted a complete draft of my dissertation to my thesis advisor today. It's approximately 100,000 words in length, or 310 pages, minus the works cited, which has about 400 entries. It represents, to a certain extent, the culmination of about four years of writing and research. Sadly, this doesn't mean it's "finished," since I'll inevitably have to revise it to include the concerns of my second and third readers, and I'll eventually have to defend it against a panel of scholars; however, I'm pretty fucking pleased anyway.

Plus, I found $10 on the ground while walking the dog.

• Like 3

My walking thing continues to get better as I finally broke the ten mile mark in a week. According to map my walk, I did 11.7 miles over 4 days of walking. (3 straight/1 off/1Back on). Considering I started this thing at the end of June with no miles in total (occasionally I'd do a maybe a mile unintentionally), I have to say this whole walking thing feels good mentally at least.

Physically my knees and feet are killing me, but its nothing I can't live with.

Just saw more good news. I've done 48.45 miles so far this summer. I might just break 100 before the fall yet.

• Like 2

Got back from vacation on Friday.  Seven days, over 4500 miles on the train, ballgames at Wrigley, Camden Yards, and Fenway, sightseeing in Washington and New Orleans on top of it.  My neck still hurts from sleeping in coach all week long, but it was definitely worth it.  I visited some unforgettable places and met some unforgettable people (it's hard not to when you're on the train).  Great times.

• Like 1

And, after nearly a month and a half, I'm back on the air at a brand new rock station and I am tasked with kicking my old employers ass. Yes, it's a good Monday!

• Like 4

I was supposed to be in trial today.  My client was charged with two counts of sexual assault on a child.  It would be a knockdown, drag out for weeks type thing.  My client was facing up to 40 years in prison and having to register as a sex offender for life. 

Instead, last week I negotiated a deal.  My client pleads to a misdemeanor, non-registerable offense (essentially, interference with child custody) deferred, and will be off supervision in a year, and will be completely off his record in three. 

Yesterday in line to see GotG, I met Peter Stein and his lovely other half, Cindy. 

I am posting it in this thread to report... he does own a shirt that is not a soccer jersey.

Huzzah

• Like 1

You can almost always get a deal from them.  In fact if you maybe wait a month and call back and say you just can't swing the cost, you can probably get it for even a bit less than that.

I've had it in my car for years now.  Honestly, I think it's getting a bit less adventurous.  It seems like more and more of their stations are just playing the most obvious stuff and as soon as I see the artist name pop up, I know what song I'm about to hear.  They still don't have an old-school punk station and the closest thing they have to a real punk station and the classical side of things has gotten pathetic.  It's down to one station mixing pops and classical. 

That said, on long trips it's a lifesaver. 

• Like 1