DVDVR Message Board

THE GOOD NEWS THREAD!

Burgundy LaRue

Took the car to get the gas line/valve checked because it didn't want to fill up even after trying three stations.  After getting the gentle 'this is how you pump gas' tutorial from the service station guy, he takes a look and sees nothing wrong. I've pumped gas long enough to know how to do it, but I have no clue what caused three pumps to act that way.  Maybe something's up in that particular area.  All three stations are in a mile of each other.

In any case, no gas leaks.  So I'm not risking being burned to smithereens from my exploding car.  Yay.

I quit my job just over two weeks ago (oh praise Crom, a change was needed) and since then, I have had loads of voice-over work coming in. Not enough to replace a full time job, mind you, but enough to nudge me closer to doing nothing but voice over and remaining an independent studio. I have steady work in the U.S. and Europe now.

• Like 4

So I accidentally started a band*, and made a shopping list for the thing I wanted to do (I don't want to spell it out because I've never seen anyone do it & couldn't make it show up on google so I don't want it to exist on the internet otherwise). My plan was to get it all by late fall, maybe. Well, a bunch of lucky breaks hit all at once (money I didn't expect, craigslist sales happening), and I'll have everything I need by next weekend.

*like, a friend and I were joking about having a band and then we had a really good idea

10455358_10100124585806267_7469734583184

Found the only baseball mitt I've ever owned when cleaning up a closet preparing for our move. The Mike Flanagan model!

I had the Frank White.  Because of that I was weirdly possessive about his career and paid attention to the Royals for no other reason.

I quit my job just over two weeks ago (oh praise Crom, a change was needed) and since then, I have had loads of voice-over work coming in. Not enough to replace a full time job, mind you, but enough to nudge me closer to doing nothing but voice over and remaining an independent studio. I have steady work in the U.S. and Europe now.

As someone who has dreamed of being a professional voiceover artist, this makes me smile.  A lot.

• Like 1

I've been bitching a storm in the GD thread, so I wanted to come over here to give some better news and warn those of you with family dealing with this sort of thing.  Please bear with me, this will be long.

Apparently, my mother cut the underside of her big right toe. She goes a week without saying anything.  She finally mentions something, and the two of us spend a few days trying to do home health stuff.  Dad comes home this past Wednesday with his off-on bum knee, and Mom's foot/ankle were badly swollen.  The big toe looks a mess.  He takes her to the family doctor, who quickly gets her into his lab for bloodwork.  Tells Dad it's Type 2 diabetes and she'll likely lose the big toe.  Her blood sugar is over 300 and coupled with the toe, it's a quick hospital admission for Mom

It takes them over a day to get antibiotics started.  Which I found odd.  I get not giving her any the first 12 or so hours.  She was apparently dehydrated and they had to get her blood sugar down some.  Makes sense.  But her blood sugar dropped 60 points and she's peeing all over the place.  She's coming along fine.  But no antibiotics.  Didn't seem right to me and Mom was clearly worried. So I called risk management.  Called  the corporate office first, who was supposed to send word to our local branch.  Don't think the old crow did.  So I call our hospital's general switchboard to get the in-house risk management and explained the situation.  Called again and left a message when no one called me back in two hours.  Finally get a call from a case manager.  The doctor has finally seen Mom and antibiotics have started. 

So Rule #1 is to not be afraid of going Rambo on folks when they clearly are fucking around your loved ones and their health.  Get risk management on the line and start complaining ASAP.

So Mom's pretty calm when I call before I leave work at 5PM Thursday.  I stop a couple of places on the way home and get in at 6.  Phone's blinking like crazy from Mom's calling.

As I mentioned in the GD thread, the first surgeon wanted to take off Mom's leg below the right knee.  Just whack it off.  She quickly told him no.  And he was a jerk in general to boot, too.  So she's crying and I'm seriously thinking of doing something illegal that would have gotten me a 10-year bid.  At least.  But she didn't give consent and after talking to Daddy, realized all three of us were on the same page.  Go in early Friday and talk to another surgeon will will be on call then.

The second surgeon got off to a good start by arriving at a decent hour. Pretty punctual guy.  He tells us the big toe has to go, which we knew.  He also mentions taking the second toe because he's thinking the infection had spread a bit. Mom was stalling, so he non-verbally enlists my help.  After taking a look with the surgeon and understanding why he thought what he did,  I agreed with his plan. Mom says OK.  Consent papers are eventually signed for two toes.

During the consultation, we mentioned what the first surgeon said about the entire lower leg.  The second surgeon gives us a strange look and flatly says "I wouldn't have 100% recommended that." 

The second guy was professional--polite but not prone to bullshitting patients, best I can tell.  Says if he had seen a messed-up leg, he would basically straight up tell us it's coming off, no matter what we thought.  Mom's leg was never a problem, and the color/severe swelling in her ankle/foot had gone down with the insulin and antibiotics.  No signs of infections.

All this leads me to think the first surgeon is an old hack that's been doing it for 40 years (according to what he told Mom) and just assumes the best course of action is just to saw off every limb in sight.  The fucker.

So Mom goes to surgery.  They call her room at around 2:30 PM, says she's coming out of sedation and things went well.  They bring her into the room 30 minutes later.  The surgical nurse/assistant who brings her in says "Dr. So-and-So tried to call the room earlier, but no one answered (Daddy and I were sitting in the hall and I had only returned a few minutes before Recovery called).  He only took the greater (big) toe.  He left the second toe."

EXCUSE ME?

So we go from a hack job to a guy who had full permission to take two digits but didn't do so.  I can't imagine any case where he would purposely leave an infected toe on the foot, especially when he had consent to cut.  Take the toe, and not a peep could or would have come from us.  He didn't hold on to it just to satisify Mom.  She had already given up on it.  And he's not going to risk a lawsuit by leaving a bad toe that could become an immediate problem for his patient.  There clearly was not enough there to warrant removal.

I just don't get how two doctors could differ on something that serious.

So here we are.  Mom will be in the hospital for a few days and while I'm not saying she's fully out of the woods, I can see some positivity.  She's feeling pretty good and already able to get to the bathroom with assistance.  They'll look at her foot this weekend for healing signs.  The antibiotics are coming when they should and they've given her morphine so she can sleep tonight.  The second surgeon said the good circulation throughout her legs would help Mom heal faster.

I'm trying to be cautious because one amputation can lead to others, but at least this way, we have options.  And Mom has her leg. If Mom's blood sugar continues to drop and the wound shows healing, I don't see why we can't prevent more hospital visits for a long time.

So stand up for your family because some of these doctors ain't worth shit.

Still contemplating filing a complaint on Dr. Hacksaw.

• Like 1

He's HERE.

22 inches.

10.4 lbs.

BEAST. INCARNATE.

Bpuha1gCQAASi_-.jpg

Belated Congratulations, Jae! But what I really want to know is when this spunky young fellow will be lifted into the heavens a la Simba in the Lion King by a professional wrestler like your first child was lifted into the air by El Generico at a CHIKARA show, and which wrestler will do the honors?

Bonus points if it's this "Sami Zayn" fellow.

• Like 1

Mom's appetite is getting better and after a short spike due to not having lunch yet, her blood sugar was below 200 at the last check I saw today.  The general doctor on call has her on a shot/pill combo insulin regimen, and decided to switch her to a traditional meal plan instead of the modified one for diabetics--I'm guessing he's testing her tolerance levels.  She's getting out of bed to with the help of a walker to reach the bathroom.  Her right leg was a bit warm at first but when I was getting ready to leave for the night, I touched the leg and it felt cooler.  Her white blood cell count is going down, and the wound appears to be draining OK.

The good surgeon will look at her foot Monday to see if the healing is going well. Still a long way to go, but I'm feeling a little better.

• Like 2

Hang in there man! I can tell you that one of the hardest parts of getting older myself (41 last week) was watching my parents age and show me how mortal they actually are. When you start to get a victory in that arena, take it and run because they are sweet. I'm happy for ya, man.

Congrats to you, Chester.

Mother seems to be doing better.  Her blood sugar is in the 100s.  Her blood pressure is sketchy, but not too bad. Her overall appetite is solid.   She has a low-grade tempature, though I think it's the antiobiotics doing their work.

The surgeon will be in tomorrow morning to look at the wound and determine when she can come home.  The next couple of days will be spent cleaning and moving furinture so home health care can come check her bandages.

• Like 1

Sucks that the G'd thread got closed, I had some more about the ex I needed to vent, but, there is good news to come from it.  I had a friend who recommend I apply for work where she has her second job at, delivering newspapers, which I did and I got the job.  The route ends in my neighborhood, so as soon as I'm done, I'm home.  And the extra money I'll be bringing in will help pay off my debt that she caused (I had helped the ex get a place after she got evicted from her other place, and lo and behold she gets evicted again, but since I co-signed I'm partially responsible, so I'm just gonna pay that off to get that monkey off my back), and then the other debts that I have.  Its only a couple of hours a day, so I can do that and get some sleep.  It's not glamarous, but its good news in a time when I could use some, and I'm honestly excited about it since it won't be a pain on my feet either.

Happy Good music at your grocery store day, everyone!

Some of you may have noticed, depending on where you live maybe? that today is that day every month that the music at your local grocery store suddenly switches from shitty 90s adult contemporary to swing, big band, and some weird  60s jams and you suddenly feel cool doing your shopping.

You might have heard that once and thought, "Nice.  I'm glad they made the switch!" only to have it switch back immediately the next day.

Why?  Because first week of the month means social security checks come and most places then offer senior discounts on the first Tuesday.  And so for 24 beautiful hours, your local grocery store suddenly sounds hep because OLD PEOPLE HAVE BETTER TASTE THAN THE REST OF THEM!

Now, to take advantage of this, you'll want to wait until after 7:00 to do your shopping, because earlier than that and the aisles are clogged with unbelievably elderly people who wait and wait to do their shopping on this day.  Man, some of them get dolled up too.  I saw an old lady today who still had like a weirdly hot old lady physiqiue and was wearing a pink sun dress with her hair all done up like she was shopping for Don Draper.  That was her "on the prowl" outfit.

I won't lie.  I thought about it.