DVDVR Message Board

THE GOOD NEWS THREAD!

Burgundy LaRue

Wissahickon-Creek.jpg

This is a photo from Wissahickon Park, the aforementioned park that I can enter from two block away from my current house. It's over 1,800 acres in size with over 50 miles of trails. It's pretty much my favorite place on earth. I've lived right next to the park in some form for the past eight years of my life and I think I've explored 30 percent of it. It's that gigantic!

• Like 1

I thought we had a thread on random things, but hell if I can find it, so this goes here, because it made me laugh, and therefore does not belong in the fuck you thread. :)

Walking to the bus stop this morning, and there's a young woman rollerblading around the neighbourhood in cut-off jean shorts and a bra. Not a sports bra, but a regular, frilly bra. All I could think of was the Seinfeld episode where Sue Ellen Mishcke was walking around the neighbourhood in a bra and sports coat, causing car accidents. Made me laugh, and thankfully I did not hear any crashes before I got on the bus!

Debated whether this'd go here or in TV, but LeVar Burton this morning launched a Kickstarter campaign to revive Reading Rainbow, hoping to raise $1 million by July 2nd. As of right now, he's at $732K, and it's going up every time you reload the page.

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm in the camp that says "this isn't about nostalgia this is about continuing the work the original show did in the digital age."  The fact that it's a concept we ourselves grew up with is a bonus.  And if some Trekkie with fuck-you money gets to pose with Geordi's visor for a good cause, what's the problem with that?

• Like 1

A double shot of good news! My best buddy's book just came out, (Ana Kai Tangata by Scott Nicolay) and it it's a wonderful package and anyone interested in mind-blowing weird fiction should order a copy stat! The other thing is a former employer (McGraw-Hill) wants me to take an early lump sum payment to close out a retirement account that I had completely forgotten existed. I worked for them in my late twenties and thirties so whatever piddling amount I put in has now grown to $25K! Of course, after taxes, penalties and all that shit I'll see about $18K, but that's more than enough to get another vehicle, (the Durango is acting weirder and weirder and I can't wait to get rid of it before something really spendy breaks down).

Even better, I can get my teeth yanked and pay for those bolted in dentures that I've spoken of (total cost about $6K, but we'll see what happens when I offer $5K in cash... Actually it might be cheaper to charter a puddle-jumper to El Paso and go across the border to the US dentists that have a huge practice in Juarez; either way, I will have fully functional teeth again. Should even be a bunch left over to get the Mrs. something nice, pay for one of those ridiculous cat trees, and still have enough to blow a couple of grand on books... Seems to me that there's a $300 Jack McDevitt volume I need to complete the collection and now that Bentley Little's horror novels are out in a nice matched set at like $50 each... Yep, $2K ought to do it... ;-)

• Like 1

Web series launch successful.

Check out http://stripclubtheseries.com/ everybody.

In addition to general PA work just to help wherever I could, I played the fighting robot in episode 2.  You also see cameos by part of my lucha mask collection.

I assure you people that this is actually good and I'm not bullshitting you.

Here's my bio from the about page, they let me write it myself:

Casey Nielsen Production Assistant

Half man, half machine, and all American, Casey Nielsen brought his extensive pro wrestling knowledge to the set of Strip Club, where Reid Ackerman learned that when you square off with Casey, anything goes. Beat him if you can, survive if he lets you.

Casey is also a pretty awesome screenwriter, a Conan enthusiast, and shook the hands of the mighty John Landis, John Carpenter, and Hulk Hogan. He is a huge fan of horror comics, with Tomb of Dracula being his favorite series of all time.

• Like 2

Awesome news this weekend. We moved into a new home. No more shitty low income housing for my family. One thing I love about this country is how someone like me(disabled since childhood) can get on a program and it leads to this house.

We applied for this voucher program almost 8 years ago and gave up on the thought that it could happen: the voucher program is the state provides you with a set amount of money and you have to find a home that rents for that much and you will pay your rent adjusted to your income. The landlords love it since they are guaranteed most of what they ask for on the 1st of the month since the state sends them the check.

This is a blessing and my family hasn't been happier. 

Spoilered pic(due to size) of our home. 

10259266_802878303055686_559455557583404

• Like 7

Finally got my laptop sent away for repairs.  The kiddo accidentally closed the thing with a pen between the leaves back in September, and there was a huge crack in the LED.  So now I finally got a third-check-of-the-month to spend on the screen replacement.

Though I think once I can swing it I'll get a monitor to hook it up to and just run it as a desktop just in case.

Man, I wish *I* had an assistant.  What kind of job?

Audio Visual Tech for a museum.

Basically I'm getting him so he can come in on weekend days where I would normally have to for like three hours just to get our auditorium set up and play a movie so I can actually have some days off.  I've been doing 6 day work weeks for over a year so I'm pretty stoked about it.

I actually have Dental Insurance now.  For the first time in well over a decade.

I...  I'm actually bordering on being overcome with emotion over something that simple.

I actually have Dental Insurance now.  For the first time in well over a decade.

I...  I'm actually bordering on being overcome with emotion over something that simple.

Your emotions will go south when you find you need a root canal and 7 cavities filled like I did after that same scenario.

I was in the same dental boat as you guys. Went for the first time in EIGHT YEARS in April...and had no cavities or need for any other work. Sure, the cleaning took roughly 40 minutes, and the sound that the instruments made on my teeth was driving me crazy, and the plaque and tartar buildup on my teeth was absurd...but no cavities! The cleaning actually helped me moderately with gum sensitivity and canker sores too (so far), so I'm thrilled about it.

• Like 2

I have the same situation but I probably haven't been to a dentist in 12 years.  Just finally got the insurance last year but I'm still too freaked out to actually go and see what the damage it.