DVDVR Message Board

Podcast Potpourri (aka Not Austin, AOW, Talk Is Jericho....)

Rev Ray

10 hours ago, MORELOCK said:

he's the host of a podcast that should be concerned about whether or not his show is entertaining.

Thing is, that's apparently what he believes is entertaining and what the audience wants.  So back to my wrestling analogy, he's just getting all his shit in.  It's gone from a passable podcast to a collection of tropes.

Cyrus and Storm are also the best at weaving the commercials in.  I find that the best part of E&C are the interviews, and I do like the Dreamer segments. It does have a lot of chaff, though. But I think that comes from it being more personal than the rest of 'em. I've tried Prichard once, but got sick of him within minutes. I'm generally not a fan of any of Conrad's podcasts.

Was wondering the same thing. What an odd pairing. Mooney is probably good at the general approach, I'm guessing, after having been a news anchor for so long. 

Though I haven't listened yet, based on his Twitter and his appearance on the E&C show, he reminds me of Schiavone. In that, he realizes he can harken back to his former job and people will eat it up. Stepping away is a really good thing for some of the genuine people. 

-----

edit

Okay so, 20 mins in on the newest episode, I've gotta say it's not bad. We'll see how it pans out. 

----- 

double edit 

The show was pretty good. They're getting their feet wet, and Mooney is a good host. Had a few mess ups (mostly just dates and all), but he's a good host. I hope it pans out. 

Speaking of new shows, how is JJ Dillon's?

On 8/10/2017 at 1:11 AM, Ace said:

Cyrus and Storm are also the best at weaving the commercials in.  I find that the best part of E&C are the interviews, and I do like the Dreamer segments. It does have a lot of chaff, though. But I think that comes from it being more personal than the rest of 'em. I've tried Prichard once, but got sick of him within minutes. I'm generally not a fan of any of Conrad's podcasts.

On 8/10/2017 at 11:24 PM, Ace said:

Killing the Town this week takes a couple minutes to bury the FUCK out of Disco Inferno this week. Also, according to Cyrus, EVIL wasn't KO'd by Omega.

They obviously spend time integrating the commercials into what they are talking about so even if the commercials themselves are irritating I still find myself getting "tricked" into listening to at least part of them. If not, the 15 second skip button does the trick. And it seems like they sincerely don't like Disco and it's funny how every time Konnan is on, he buries Disco too. And I like their themed good match/bad match thing more than the ECW recaps.

Right now I'm limiting myself to the 6:05, BTS, Killing the Town and the two Cornette shows plus shorter culture and history related shows.

KANE is going to be on JR's podcast this week.  I don't believe he's ever done a long form interview like this.  Should be good as there's a LOT of career turns there to dig into. (Full disclosure: I'm selective chooser of Ross episodes but I don't mind his goofy non-sequiturs.)

I loved the Tony podcast early on, but I agree that Conrad's shitty comedy is starting to get unbearable. He's forced that Barbarian jerking Tommy Young off joke into the show ten times already and I'm not an hour through the Hog Wild episode. I'm ready for them to get back to 80's/early 90's Crockett/WCW as I think this is the third or fourth Nitro era show in a row. I'm almost ready to tap out on this one like I did for Something To Wrestle With. I might start up the Lance Storm/Don Callis podcast soon.

• Like 2

On 8/9/2017 at 11:13 AM, nofuture said:

If you listen to Prichard's podcast, take a shot every-time Conrad says "The rumor and innuendo is...".  You'll be dead half way through. 

So I just started listening to "Something To Wrestle" due to Prichard being on and discussing a lot of subjects I'm interested in, and who is this Conrad guy? He's annoying as hell. Has half of his facts wrong, gets upset way too easily, and his voice is just annoying. I'd stop listening sooner if it weren't for the vast knowledge that Bruce has.

He's just a big time fan who had the money and good fortune to get into the podcast biz with Ric Flair and then Pritchard and Schiavone. I cut him slack considering he's not really a presenter or historian but he and Bruce rely on their bits too much. They were funny for the first few episodes, now they're just annoyingly ingrained into the show's structure. (I'm a number of episodes behind though so maybe it gets better?)

23 hours ago, brocklock said:

I loved the Tony podcast early on, but I agree that Conrad's shitty comedy is starting to get unbearable. He's forced that Barbarian jerking Tommy Young off joke into the show ten times already and I'm not an hour through the Hog Wild episode. I'm ready for them to get back to 80's/early 90's Crockett/WCW as I think this is the third or fourth Nitro era show in a row. I'm almost ready to tap out on this one like I did for Something To Wrestle With. I might start up the Lance Storm/Don Callis podcast soon.

At least you don't have to worry about Lance Storm trying comedy.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Godfrey said:

He's just a big time fan who had the money and good fortune to get into the podcast biz with Ric Flair and then Pritchard and Schiavone. I cut him slack considering he's not really a presenter or historian but he and Bruce rely on their bits too much. They were funny for the first few episodes, now they're just annoyingly ingrained into the show's structure. (I'm a number of episodes behind though so maybe it gets better?)

Read this thread back a few pages ;)  It gets worse, not better.  I stopped listening due to the show's increasing over-reliance on shtick and Prichard and Thompson "working their gimmicks."  

54 minutes ago, Godfrey said:

I cut him slack considering he's not really a presenter or historian

Why does this keep getting rolled out? If he didn't want people to critique his performance, he should have used his surplus of money to hire someone less shitty and obnoxious to do his job.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, MORELOCK said:

Why does this keep getting rolled out? If he didn't want people to critique his performance, he should have used his surplus of money to hire someone less shitty and obnoxious to do his job.

I was thinking some sort of broadcasting lessons but it sounds like he gets worse as time goes on instead of better so I'll probably come around to this eventually.

6 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Read this thread back a few pages ;)  It gets worse, not better.  I stopped listening due to the show's increasing over-reliance on shtick and Prichard and Thompson "working their gimmicks."  

I've heard about 6 episodes now, and it sure doesn't. I can already predict awkward silences, f-bombs, "rumors and innuendo" etc.

• Like 1

While I enjoy the topics and information, I've fallen asleep during the last month or two's episodes. Granted, it's late when I listen, but I find it difficult to hear the same sayings over and over. Which is inconvenient because I then have to go back and listen again. Honestly, Conrad is turning into a Michael Cole-esque host. 

Look, I know he's trying hard and I'm sure he means well. But, he's starting to fall into JR "...my boy..." Barnett mode. 

Its only been a year with Prichard, half that or whatever for Tony. Maybe they'll work out the kinks. I actually found Conrad to be very good when Flair had a show. He reigned him in quite well. I just think that as with anything that becomes popular, you get the catchphrases too much. 

I'll still listen as I like the shows, but yeah, they need to pump the brakes on some things or it'll be too far into the ground. They generate revenue, so it won't die, but for the sake of being serious, they've gotta cool it with some stuff. 

I haven't heard all of the What Happened When episodes, but my impression is that Conrad gets the spot(joke) in and then is pretty good at moving RIGHT back to the content quickly. I guess, if anything, my biggest frustration with him is that he's not in our circle. In as, he's operating off of the more Scott Keith-ian notions of ten+ years ago instead of some of the things that have been revised (Malenko's potential in ring issues, Luger being underrated, etc). Sometimes, it's just historical stuff they couldn't know. It's hard to know just how successful and how GOOD some of the Coal Miner's Glove matches in Mid-South were, for instance. If you don't watch mid-90s AAA with a 2017 eye it's hard to know exactly how good a heel Psicosis could be ATTITUDE wise. I don't fault him for that stuff as much (I fault a guy like Mauro much more because it's his job and because of his cred). It's funny, some of the times I'm much closer to Tony's feeling on things than Conrad's, but the it's all been way more refined with years of thinking about this stuff.

On 8/2/2017 at 7:42 PM, Matt D said:

Tony just seems honestly touched that people are supporting him and his daughter's wedding after he had years of ill feelings.

I don't support Tony Schiavone marrying his daughter.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4