DVDVR Message Board

[WWE NETWORK] What Are You Watching?

RIPPA

Trying to catch up on 1993 RAW shows and I would guess that was a complete coincidence that they showed a shot of Francine in the crowd.   This is a good 2 years before her debut in ECW

Like someone mentioned, it is cool to see jobbers that you would remember much later like Tony Devito and Mike Bucci and Rambling Rich Meyers who must have worked in the Maryland indies for about 25 years

Watching Slamboree '95. Solie and Heenan really had good chemistry together. Also love the surprise Solie induction into the Hall of Fame, and Dusty with a young Cody.

• Like 1

Trying to catch up on 1993 RAW shows and I would guess that was a complete coincidence that they showed a shot of Francine in the crowd.   This is a good 2 years before her debut in ECW

Like someone mentioned, it is cool to see jobbers that you would remember much later like Tony Devito and Mike Bucci and Rambling Rich Meyers who must have worked in the Maryland indies for about 25 years

These early Raws are a real curiosity for someone who hasn't seen them all in full. A great mix of good wrestling, Vince's desperation for "entertainment" (that fucking awful Rob Bartlett dude) and ridiculous gimmicks mixed in with some early charity stuff. Undertaker and Paul Bearer cutting promos on hunger, for instance, is a great bit. "Nobody should starve to death" You said it, Taker. I'm only 4 or 5 in but I'm really looking forward to see how long it takes them to find a look and feel for the show. 

COTC Dixie Dynamite!

Mostly mediocre wrestling, though Flair and Scott Steiner is pretty good, but the nostalgia is a trip. I'm fairly certain this is the first Clash I ever saw. JR and Dusty on commentary and they essentially ignore each other all night long.

Paul Heyman jobbing an arm wrestling match to Missy Hyatt because tits is also a highlight.

Inspired by the latest DVDVR, I've been watching some Attitude Era Mark Henry and I want to pimp his match with Viscera from No Way Out 2000. Both guys leave their feet a bit too easily for me but Henry takes two bumps into the stairs that are so awesome. A bit like Cena's stair bumps put Henry manages to move the stairs further and with more force. Mae Young gets involved too. Makes me remember how much I hate Attitude Era crowds though. Yeah, they're loud but chanting "Boring" right after a guy has just brained himself on the steps? Come on, now.

• Like 1

Was watching the Network yesterday and during one of the "in between" segments they aired a promo touting that they now have all the Clashes up as well as 100 new episodes of ECW Hardcore TV. I think those are the types of commercials they need to be airing on RAW and SD to show non-subscribers exactly what is available on The Network. I bet putting something out there on RAW saying all past Clash of the Champions shows are available On Demand would grab them a bunch new subscribers. I don't think they advertise exactly WHAT the Network really is and what is available good enough for those who haven't subscribed yet. All they really push on RAW in regards to the Network are RAW/SD Pre/Post Shows, Main Event, and the occasional specials, like for Warrior Week or the NXT Live Specials. Put together a few more clip packages showing that WCCW or old RAW episodes or Nitros (when they start airing them) are up and when they're up. Pushing the On Demand content is really where they'll get their subscribers who are on the fence still, I think.

• Like 1

It would be nice but I can't imagine people who watch RAW or Smackdown would see that ECW February 1995 is up on the network and go "Holy shit I have to buy the network".  Maybe if it was something that has been completely ignored by the WWE like Memphis or Mid South  

The only gaps in the ECW group is the 1993 stuff.  I don't see anything missed in 1994 and 1995

Now World Class has some serious gaps and probably why there hasn't been much updates to it

Yeah, right at the beginning. If they're not planning on filling them or they don't have good tapes or what not, then just let us know. 

Just re-watched Wrestlemania V. No matter how many times I watch these shows, I always notice new things:

Rockin' Robin with the most atrocious version of 'America the Beautiful' you will ever hear. Did somebody no-show? Why did this happen?

During the Bushwhackers/Rougeaus match, when Raymond picks up Butch for a scoop slam, Butch clearly gives a couple of quick tugs on Raymond's junk. Not sure if that was a rib, but I can't imagine Raymond was too pleased.

The ring apron banners are clearly the same Wrestlemania IV banners with the roman numeral 'one' removed. That's some nice cost-cutting.

Sean Mooney is incredibly nervous when interviewing Donald Trump. Trump, sitting in the first row, shows absolutely no emotion for four hours. Nice job putting himself over. Douche.

I've been cherry picking various matches. Today I watched Angle vs. Austin from Summerslam 2001. That was a fun brawl with Austin in full heel mode and Jim Ross screaming anything he can think of to convince us to hate "THAT SONUVABITCH STEVE AUSTIN." This reminded me how much I think blood can add to a match AND how much I miss good commentary in the WWE.

Watching some '88 and '89 WCW PPVs: Jim Ross keeps mentioning that Sting was trained in California by Red Bastien. Did he mean to say Rick Bassman? Was that a Freudian slip?

The post-match brawl for Funk-Flair at the '89 Bash is about the greatest I've ever seen: gets Muta and Sting over and perfectly sets up the Halloween Havoc main event.

For the past couple weeks, I've been watching ECW tv on the network. I have gotten to July 1994 which is around the Funks vs Public Enemy feud time. It seems some of these episodes have been edited as some are 40+ minutes long and others are barely 30 minutes long. I'm loving the Sandman vs Tommy Cairo feud. PAY ME TOMMY that Sandman keeps saying on interviews is funny. The guy that replaced Joey Styles for a couple months is awful though. Was that Jay Sully doing a bad impersonation of Joey?

Tonight I picked a random show and it turned up No Mercy 2006. Going in I didn't remember much of this show but it turned out to be really good. Started out with a good Matt Hardy vs Gregory Helms match. It took place in North Carolina so Hardy was over. I enjoyed the London Kendrick vs KC James and Idol Stevens match. I can't believe that Idol Stevens is the same guy as Damien Sandow. This show also had nude William Regal and Miz getting a lap dance from both Layla and Big Dick Johnson. The only two bad matches were Rey Jr/Chavo and MVP's debut vs Cham Pain. JBL saved that match by just bashing MVP merciless. The three big matches were very good. Taker/Kennedy surprised me at how good it was. I used to be a big Kennedy fan but didn't remember him being a competent wrestler. He held his own vs taker. Regal/Benoit was just as brutal as I remember. Benoit chopping Regal in his open sore was just wow. The fatal 4 way between Batista/Lashley/Finlay/KING BOOKAH was better than I thought it would be. God I loved the King Bookah gimmick. The entrance, the turning into Booker T and back again and the pouting. Good PPV overall.

Went and started Clash I. I've seen Flair vs Sting but nothing else on the card prior to tonight. The opener with Rotunda and Garin was, umm, something. Midnights vs Fantastics was rocking. The heel fans cheering for Cornette with their signs were fantastic. If Johnny Sorrow were in Greensboro, I imagine him having a blast with those guys.

The Texas Barbed Wire match was a bit bland, but Uncle Ivan does his best to make it interesting. And damn, Anderson/Blanchard vs. Windham/Luger was fantastic.

I'm assuming the different times in the ECW TV eps is them editing out all the shilling they'd do for their VHS of shows. Take out all the commercials for "The night Kimona Wananalaya danced atop the ECW Arena" and such and your 60 minute show is now 35-40 mins

So many Main Event commercials on Clash I was kind of cool to see.

One other observation about Clash I: Dr. Death at this point is not a very good promo. He flubs his lines several times and jumps back and forth a lot. Does he get better over time cutting promos?