DVDVR Message Board

[WWE NETWORK] What Are You Watching?

RIPPA

Have been slowly been watching every show in order and it seems like the true split between Territory era WWF and "modern day" era WWF is at Wrestlemania 3. Maybe it is because WM3 feels like the first modern day PPV format.

Am I completely off base with this statement?

Nah, WM was basically a glorified MSG show, WM 2 was a slight mis-step, overreaching to try to be something new, and by WM 3 they had the confidence and production know-how to make it seem more in line with what we're used to these days.

I do have to say, watching WrestleMania for the first time in years, the atmosphere with the entryway being full of people all the time was a nice change from the wide gulfs of space they have now.

Have been slowly been watching every show in order and it seems like the true split between Territory era WWF and "modern day" era WWF is at Wrestlemania 3. Maybe it is because WM3 feels like the first modern day PPV format.

Am I completely off base with this statement?

I'd have to agree. Also, the 1987 roster was leaps and bounds better than 1985 and still much better than 1986.

Watching Clash of Champions: Dixie Dynamite from 1991. I remember watching this with my buddy David at 11 years old and losing our shit during Scotty/Flair.

Unfortunate moment- Joey Maggs comes out to wrestle Sid... I say out loud "this guy is dead..." then realize, yeah, he actually is

If World Class aint the stiffest promotion in North America ever. Almost everyone throws brutal strikes they lay it in. Just watched a 6 man elimination match with Andre,Gordy and Bundy it was insane.

If I could go back in time and choose which territory to grow up on exclusively it would be WCCW

Watching ECW Hardcore TV 1/10/1995 and the debut of Raven, WWE dropped the ball with Raven's way to poppy entrance music.

I always hated "Keep Them Separated" as Raven's ECW music. The guy had a grunge-meets-Bodhi From Point Break gimmick. The Offspring were total Warped Tour punk rock poser material. I guess later on in WCW it was revealed Raven was a rich kid so that would make some sense but it didn't at the time. Don't even get me started on when he wore Skid Row shirts. Stevie? Yeah, he could have rocked that as one of his belly shirts. But the dark, brooding Raven?

He used to rock a Dinosaur Jr. shirt. "Feel The Pain" was RIGHT THERE! Or if you want a more up-tempo song, they could have gone with "Freak Scene."

I would have loved to see a video package recapping the Stevie/Francine/Beulah angle to Dinosaur's cover of "Just Like Heaven."

I would do anything to hear the WWE Network's version of Dinosaur Jr. songs.

Watching ECW Hardcore TV 1/10/1995 and the debut of Raven, WWE dropped the ball with Raven's way to poppy entrance music.

I always hated "Keep Them Separated" as Raven's ECW music. The guy had a grunge-meets-Bodhi From Point Break gimmick. The Offspring were total Warped Tour punk rock poser material. I guess later on in WCW it was revealed Raven was a rich kid so that would make some sense but it didn't at the time. Don't even get me started on when he wore Skid Row shirts. Stevie? Yeah, he could have rocked that as one of his belly shirts. But the dark, brooding Raven?

He used to rock a Dinosaur Jr. shirt. "Feel The Pain" was RIGHT THERE! Or if you want a more up-tempo song, they could have gone with "Freak Scene."

I would have loved to see a video package recapping the Stevie/Francine/Beulah angle to Dinosaur's cover of "Just Like Heaven."

I would do anything to hear the WWE Network's version of Dinosaur Jr. songs.

He should've just used Come As You Are as his theme. The knock-off version he used in WCW was actually pretty good and I'm bummed that it's overdubbed with his WWF theme.

I've somehow fucked both my knees up so I'm laid up and going through all the Clashes with my time off. Is 80s NWA the greatest thing ever or what? You sometimes forget just how good it really is. Arn and Tully vs. Windham and Luger is such a great tag match; the southern formula played to absolute perfection.

• Like 1

I've somehow fucked both my knees up so I'm laid up and going through all the Clashes with my time off. Is 80s NWA the greatest thing ever or what? You sometimes forget just how good it really is. Arn and Tully vs. Windham and Luger is such a great tag match; the southern formula played to absolute perfection.

It has to be one of the best sub-10 minute matches of all-time. It's kind of amazing they were able to pack so much action into about 9 minutes and it never feels like dudes just trying to "get their stuff in". It's all very organic.

It has to be one of the best sub-10 minute matches of all-time. It's kind of amazing they were able to pack so much action into about 9 minutes and it never feels like dudes just trying to "get their stuff in". It's all very organic.

Masters at work, dude. Masters at work.

• Like 1

OK, watching a RAW from pril of 1994. First of all, Randy Savage is extra-salty this week about being stuck on commentary. Plus, his abuse of Jerry Lawler on commentary is the best.

On top of that, I think I see D'Lo Brown helping carry Jerry Lawler out on his throne, which is a nice Easter Egg.

They're setting up for Perfect/Luger, which didn't go well the first time around, but I don't recall it happening. It's interesting to see how many guys are getting shot down the card that were a big deal in 1993: Luger and Tatanka are the big ones in particular. 

I saw the whole Clash where Macho woke Hulk up with the elbow.  That match was chaos.  I love how they were building towards Vader being a good challenger for the Hulkster but Hulk basically no-sold his finisher.  It did get me to watch Superbrawl 95 with Sting/Macho v. Quake/Big Bubba, and Hogan/Vader.  They were both pretty decent but I liked the former better.  Hogan was Hogan and basically said fuck Vader and no-sold twice.  At least Vader was protected for the re-match, which if I recall was where Hogan actually beat Flair in a strap match.  Hogan really emasculated the whole damn roster when he came in.  Poor Macho, as well, getting the Punk treatment to Hogan's Cena.

Rewatched Survivor Series 95:

- The women's match was stiff as hell, pretty unique in WWE/F women's matches history.

- I LOVE the Wildcard match and concept and think it would be perfect for a gimmick PPV, it makes for a very fun and unique match. Bulldog celebrating in the end with Ahmed and HBK was funny.

- Diesel and Bret had an excellent match, one of Nash's top 3 matches ever IMO. Great work all around.

• Like 1

I saw the whole Clash where Macho woke Hulk up with the elbow.  That match was chaos.  I love how they were building towards Vader being a good challenger for the Hulkster but Hulk basically no-sold his finisher.  It did get me to watch Superbrawl 95 with Sting/Macho v. Quake/Big Bubba, and Hogan/Vader.  They were both pretty decent but I liked the former better.  Hogan was Hogan and basically said fuck Vader and no-sold twice.  At least Vader was protected for the re-match, which if I recall was where Hogan actually beat Flair in a strap match.  Hogan really emasculated the whole damn roster when he came in.  Poor Macho, as well, getting the Punk treatment to Hogan's Cena.

Punk got to beat Cena

• Like 1

That's the biggest problem with Hogan's WCW run. Not only did he go over everyone, but he almost never even let anyone get heat during their feud. At least in the WWF, Hogan was willing to get decimated in his feud leading up to the match where he'd go over and even that got tiresome. It's no wonder the WCW crowd never really got behind him.

Punk got to beat Cena

Plus he didn't win the title only b/c another guy pulled someone else out of a battle royal and under the bottom rope no less.

The Brutus reveal as the masked man was the worst example. Hogan knocked him out and then took off his mask.

Minor crime.  I don't think that reveal would have gone over well no matter how they did it or what the angle was.  By that point, Brutus was a shell of himself and shouldn't have been that far up the card.  I've always assumed the company's sole interest in him was as a foH (friend of Hogan).

Agree with the basic point though.  Hogan's babyface WCW run was horrid largely because the heels were never allowed to get over on him, even for the segment (the cronyism was also an issue).

One thing that strikes me about watching the M.O.M. vs. Quebecers match on an April 1994 RAW is Mo bumping around like a madman at points. He took a fairly sick bump over the top rope that ended up with him cracking his head on the guard rail. These two teams also had a pretty good match at WM X. I've never seen the title switches these two teams had when they were touring in England around this time, but they might be worth seeking out. I'm surprised at how much I enjoy Men on a Mission when they're wrestling competitive tag matches.