DVDVR Message Board

[WWE NETWORK] What Are You Watching?

RIPPA

I wasn't around for the attitude era and I quit watching from 2009-2012 so I have been mostly balancing historic shows with catching up on what I missed from '09 to '12, which is apparently not much.

Cena and Bryan from Summerslam last year is sooooo good. My MOTY for 2013. Cena as the big dog constantly swatting down the little dog, who just wont give up, is fantastic. That knee to finish is brrrrrrutal. He kills Cena with it.

Even the Orton cash in is great. Knowing the ultimate payoff of it, regardless of how they got there, makes it even better.

• Like 2

Cena and Bryan from Summerslam last year is sooooo good. My MOTY for 2013. Cena as the big dog constantly swatting down the little dog, who just wont give up, is fantastic. That knee to finish is brrrrrrutal. He kills Cena with it.

Even the Orton cash in is great. Knowing the ultimate payoff of it, regardless of how they got there, makes it even better.

Summerslam is easily one of the best PPVs of all time imo. Cena/Bryan and Punk/Lesnar are arguably the two best matches of that year and Del Rio/Christian had a great match for the WHC too.

That first knee to Cena is still unmatched, it was simply perfect.

Just watched the Villains Countdown, i loved Bryan's opening line about Punk, it went something like:

"CM Punk is a great villain because he is, at his core, an asshole"

• Like 1

I still like Lesnar/Punk alittle more than Bryan/Cena. That match was bonkers.

That match is fantastic too. What puts Cena/Bryan over it for me is that I was more invested in that storyline and I liked those two guys more. Cena/Bryan feels like Warrior/Hogan and I'm a sucker for epic face vs face matches. You can't really go wrong either way.

I liked Cena-Bryan more than Punk-Lesnar simply because I thought Punk wouldn't win but I thought Bryan could. Lesnar losing to Punk would have damaged his allure big time, Cena could lose to Bryan and still be Cena. I was emotionally invested in the outcome, Bryan winning the big one.

CLASH OF THE CHAMPIONS 19

Doc/Gordy vs. The Steiners --

COTC 19 is my favorite random event ever in wrestling. This is under the Bill Watts reign. This show is the first round of the NWA Tag Team Tournament, bringing in teams from around the globe to compete for the honor of these prestigious titles. Do not confuse this, however, with the WCW Tag Team Titles, as they're currently held by The Steiner Brothers.

The whole show is great. There are some really terrific matchups (Pillman/Lyger vs. Benoit/Beef) and random weirdness (late-period Freebirds vs. Silver King/Texano). But the surprise main event rules.

Doc/Gordy made an initial appearance in this, completely decimating The O'Days, a father-son team from Australia. It's seriously one of the great destruction of jobbers of all-time. The Steiners were set to take on The Invaders from Puerto Rico, but a "car accident" prevented that from happening. (Doc/Gordy gloat about this in a way to insinuate they're responsible for near vehicular homicide.) The Cowboy, though, likes action and knows the fans want action. So he sets up round two.

This feels INTENSE right from the start and it just gets better and better throughout. It starts with each team trying to outdo the other in amateur-style stuff, with a stiff forearm or the like being thrown in for good measure. But it's clear that all four of these dudes -- and ESPECIALLY Rick -- just want to fist-fight. It gets real when Doc slaps Rick in the face while in the corner, prompting the Dogface to double leg Doc down and just pepper him with stiff shots. The referee somehow maintains control but it eventually just breaks down. Rick loses his cool in this and forgets who the legal man is (Scottie), which leaves his younger brother vulnerable on the floor. Doc hits a football tackle to Scott's knee. Rick's temper once again gets the best of him, as the ref is forcing him out, letting Doc chop-block Scottie as he was about to hit Gordy with a Belly-To-Belly. Scottie collapses and gets pinned after a cheapshop to the knee. Awesome.

This match just flat-out rules. It's four big, tough dudes. What I love about it is that both teams have so many great signature spots and moves and we DON'T see them -- there are no Frankensteiner's or Tilt-A-Whirls from the Steiners. That just makes it seem more like a legitimate fight between two teams looking to claim the mantle as best in the world. And it plays right into Doc and Gordy's hands because Rick can't keep his cool, leaving the less experiences Steiner for the pickings.

This is seriously one of my favorite matches of all-time. It really feels so much different than anything else in US wrestling from the time period.

• Like 2

CLASH OF THE CHAMPIONS I --

MIDNIGHT EXPRESS VS. THE FANTASTICS

This is a legendary show best known for the match to cement Sting's status as the WCW's main babyface until the promotion's demise. Thing about that for a second.

But there was ANOTHER great match on this. It's The Midnight Express against The Fantastics for the US (!) Tag Titles. The Midnights most legendary feud was against the Rock'n'Roll Express but The Fantastics were their better opponents. Tommy Rodgers is the most slept on all-time great wrestler. He was just so, so great.

Anyways, this match is the definitive tag team hate-filled brawl. It's just wild from the get-go -- Cornette swinging tennis rackets, dudes throwing tables and chair and the like. It settles down into somewhat of a real match, with the Fantastics  but the Midnight's keep on cheating. Bobby Fulton eventually has enough of it and goes crazy and throws Nick Patrick out of the ring. Cornette goes to hit Rodgers with the racket but he ducks and hits Eaton instead, leading to a Rocket Launcher. A second referee makes the three count, but this gets overturned and the Midnights retain the belts. The Midnights then jump the Fantastics which leads to Cornette whipping the hell out of that piece of trash Tommy Rodgers with his belt.

A+++. This is just violence and hatred and the best.

Also, afterwards is a really bizarre promo with the dude who played Eddie Haskell KEEPING IN CHARACTER to talk to Jim Cornette about his momma's vast wealth!

Daniel Bryan vs. John Cena was also my Match of the Year for 2013. I woke up to watch the event (1am-4am in the morning) and it was so worth it. I was surprised Bryan won and with THAT finish. Still the best running knee Bryan has hit. I rarely buy PPV's on DVD but made an exception for SummerSlam 2013. Outta likes but you will still get one.

• Like 1

Bryan/Cena is my #3 MOTY from last year. Punk/Brock was #4.

#2 is the Goldust/Cody vs. The Shield match where they saved their jobs. Dean eating Dusty's elbow was so perfect.

#1 is when Goldust and Cody finally one the titles in a great match tying a few months of storyline together at its really awesome end.

Clash 3 is a bloody great show. Like seriously, I've never heard anyone even mention it before but it starts with a cracking draw between Mike Rotunda and Brad Armstrong and just keeps going strongly throughout the whole event. The Sheepherders vs Doc and Nikita is a lot of fun too, one of the better Nikita performances I can remember.

Did anything come of the (what looked like, at least) Ivan babyface turn? I don't remember ever seeing him in a match where he wasn't the villain.

Oh, I'm just a whole bunch of SNME's away from having everything I want from the Network.

Giving me old JCP-era-into WCW Saturday Nights and old Prime Time Wrestling will be gravy.

Yep, Clash of the Champions 7 is still one of my favorite wrestling shows of all-time.

-The show is at an armory fieldhouse in Ft. Bragg, NC, and it's 100 degrees inside, and the crowd is sweaty and mostly drunk military folk and is hot for everything. Atmosphere is just phenomenal all night long, even for '80s NWA/WCW.

-A possible legit overlooked classic in Terry Funk vs Ricky Steamboat, and some other fun matches like Varsity Club vs Steiners, Midnight Express vs Headshrinkers/Samoan Swat Team, and Dr. Death vs Terry Gordy.

-One of the all-time WCW Wrestlecrap moments with the debut of the Ding Dongs.

-My favorite patriotism-baiting match of all-time with the ex-military man Ranger Ross vs The Terrorist...and the military audience eats it the fuck up...

-...followed by Gary Hart leading The Great Muta in a martial arts demonstration that Muta refuses to participate in because according to Gary Hart, he is sick of facing inferior "gaijin" competition.

-Coors Light was a sponsor of the show so Jim Ross makes references all night long to wishing he was on his couch drinking a nice cold Coors Light.

-a drunk fan charging the ring during the Midnight Express entrance, and Jim Cornette simply saying "We're going to make your night by letting you live!" as he gets swarmed by military security.

-a plug for THE HOTLINE featuring Jack Victory dressed as an FBI agent and Paul E. being rudely interrupted by a jobber while calling the hotline...also, JOE PEDICINO'S NOSE!

the WrestleMania IV rewind was pretty good. i'm a huge Savage mark, so it was great hearing everyone praise him. really gives me high hopes for the Hall of Fame in the next year or two.

it also prompted me to download the two Coliseum Home Videos of Savage and the one that WCW put out. He will always be my #1 favorite wrestler.

Thanks to the high praise here, I watched Clash 19 and that is indeed a terrific show. Thoughts as I was watching: 

- There were times when it looked like Rick Rude and Austin were stiffing the shit out of Bagwell--which, after hearing Buff on Colt Cabana's pod, I wouldn't doubt. 

- This is about the third show in the last month I've seen with Bobby Eaton and Arn Anderson as a team. Both were known for their work with other units, but they are fantastic together. Add Paul E. and I'm surprised this isn't one of the most celebrated heel teams ever. 

- The Freebirds are sub-trash here, meaning throwing them into the dumpster isn't sufficient. You'd need to dig a hole into the earth, dump them in that, then cover it up with the dumpster. They look like shit physically, their ring attire is awful (seriously, wtf is with those knee-high boots?), their entrance music sucks and their work. Oh man. They moved so slowly in comparison to the Silver Kings, they looked like that Bugs Bunny cartoon when the evil scientist is on ether. 

- I grew up a WWF fan, but I loved Sting as a kid when I did tune into WCW. His interview with Jesse talking about Vader on this show reminds me why. While he plays up the same kind of sensibilities of being a hard-working good guy, in retrospect he wasn't anywhere near as corny as Hulk (or Cena. Sorry). 

- Not much I can add to Gordy/Dr. Death vs. The Steiners. Just a stiff, brutal and entertaining brawl. Great, great stuff. 

Yep, Clash of the Champions 7 is still one of my favorite wrestling shows of all-time.

-The show is at an armory fieldhouse in Ft. Bragg, NC, and it's 100 degrees inside, and the crowd is sweaty and mostly drunk military folk and is hot for everything. Atmosphere is just phenomenal all night long, even for '80s NWA/WCW.

-A possible legit overlooked classic in Terry Funk vs Ricky Steamboat, and some other fun matches like Varsity Club vs Steiners, Midnight Express vs Headshrinkers/Samoan Swat Team, and Dr. Death vs Terry Gordy.

-One of the all-time WCW Wrestlecrap moments with the debut of the Ding Dongs.

-My favorite patriotism-baiting match of all-time with the ex-military man Ranger Ross vs The Terrorist...and the military audience eats it the fuck up...

-...followed by Gary Hart leading The Great Muta in a martial arts demonstration that Muta refuses to participate in because according to Gary Hart, he is sick of facing inferior "gaijin" competition.

-Coors Light was a sponsor of the show so Jim Ross makes references all night long to wishing he was on his couch drinking a nice cold Coors Light.

-a drunk fan charging the ring during the Midnight Express entrance, and Jim Cornette simply saying "We're going to make your night by letting you live!" as he gets swarmed by military security.

-a plug for THE HOTLINE featuring Jack Victory dressed as an FBI agent and Paul E. being rudely interrupted by a jobber while calling the hotline...also, JOE PEDICINO'S NOSE!

U sold me. I'm watching right now. So far so good. Who is Ranger Ross? I have never heard of him before.

Ranger Ross was a legit ex-Army paratrooper and was a Georgia indy guy before joining WCW. Popped in and out over a couple of years, mainly in a JTTS role. Was also briefly repackaged under a mask as a Japanese heel called "The Pearl" and was given Great Muta's moveset to try to trick fans into thinking Muta had returned under a mask.

Left the business in the early '90s and ended up doing some jail time for being involved in a string of bank robberies.

Clash 3 is a bloody great show. Like seriously, I've never heard anyone even mention it before but it starts with a cracking draw between Mike Rotunda and Brad Armstrong and just keeps going strongly throughout the whole event. The Sheepherders vs Doc and Nikita is a lot of fun too, one of the better Nikita performances I can remember.

Did anything come of the (what looked like, at least) Ivan babyface turn? I don't remember ever seeing him in a match where he wasn't the villain.

He was going to team with Nikita at Starrcade 88, but Nikita left and Ivan was not around much longer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGZ3OBPPLSs

Clash 19, Holy Shit every fucking thing the MVC were involved in.  The promo before their squash, their squash, then the promo describing the "Puerto Rican Car Wreck" into the match with the Steiners.

Also odd for a match with Williams in it, he's *not* the one that throws a Backdrop Driver.

Jesus Christ,I just watched the ECW episode after the NWA tournament and it's incredible how you can see an immediate switch in styles, pushing what they were doing to a new level.

There's the immediate Cactus Jack Mikey tag title switch, your right in the middle of the grossly violent Tommy Dreamer caning angle, Chris Benoit and Dean debut so you know what's coming and then there's the first of many original looking highlight reels of the tournament filmed off another television.

my favorite part is Paul giving a promo, as 911's manager, about how the wrestling world is going to change, but man, you could see the electricity in his eyes. The end news style reel of Dennis Carlouzo Saying "ECW needs to remember it's an NWA member" followed by Todd Gordon saying "ECW is no longer an NWA member", awesome.

Shane Douglas have a Damn good speech about 1994 being when wrestling begins.this is what I got the network for, every single one if these ECW episodes oozes the history I've read about abd heard about but never saw outside of YouTube clips. I hate that I can now binge watch seasons of wrestling.

• Like 1

Thanks to the high praise here, I watched Clash 19 and that is indeed a terrific show. Thoughts as I was watching: 

- I grew up a WWF fan, but I loved Sting as a kid when I did tune into WCW. His interview with Jesse talking about Vader on this show reminds me why. While he plays up the same kind of sensibilities of being a hard-working good guy, in retrospect he wasn't anywhere near as corny as Hulk (or Cena. Sorry). 

I LOVE Sting in a suit with his face paint but not as much as I love whatever it is that Jessie is wearing. I need that outfit like yesterday.