DVDVR Message Board

[WWE NETWORK] What Are You Watching?

RIPPA

WWE posted the programming schedule for Wrestlemania Week on the Network:

http://www.wwe.com/shows/wrestlemania/30/wrestlemania-week-on-wwe-network-schedule-26198459

Some highlights:

Live press conference airing tomorrow morning.

A live two-hour Wrestlemania Today show each night from Axxess on Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights.

A brand new Legends of Wrestlemania Roundtable on Friday Night.

A live Red Carpet show before the live Hall of Fame Ceremony.

Which is kind of funny, because in Jericho's second book he said Vince ripped him a new one after that Armageddon match, basically telling him he was the drizzling shits and that if he couldn't have a good match with X-Pac on the following Raw he was pretty much going to be out the door.

It's interesting you are watching that period because the question was asked, "When was Taker's last bad match?". My opinion is his 3rd HHH Mania match and before that the WM25 match against HBK.

The first Taker/HBK match is a top five Wrestlemania match of all time. Stick to dehumanizing the women and class action suits because your wrestling opinions are straight garbage.

I see I am dealing with a spineless idiot who only knows how to insult someone, make a blanket satement as if its the gospel, and then quickly sign-off. Please, tell me what's so good about that match? Why is it top five? If Taker/HBK is top five for you, then I am scared to see the rest of your list. Your list probably includes the Lumberjill match from Mania 23, Lesnar/Goldberg, and Marterl/Roberts from WMVII.

I'm not a fan of the overkill of finisher sequences. Toss in excessive laying around and that sums up the WM 25 match for me. I know what they were going for and the story is not bad, but it was too on-the-nose for an epic for me to fully enjoy. HBK should have just came out at the start of the match with a megaphone and announce that him and Taker were going to perform an 'epic' match, because that's what the match was. One big announcement of a grand performance rather than an actual grand performance. The entire thing came off like one big Alex Shelley 'THIS IS WRESTLING PEOPLE!' wink to those looking for that WM moment and epic encounter.

If Davey Richards and Eddie Edwards DID THE EXACT SAME MATCH (replace Taker/HBK's finished with that of Edwards/Richards), people would have shit on it hardcore.  Taker has had some good matches, but that night at Mania 25, both him and Michaels were trying way too hard to make everything feel important rather then letting the work speak for itself and actually making it important. When Lynn and Styles were kicking out of each other's finishers and big moves repeatedly while no selling...people took a dump on it. Taker/HBK do the same thing and its top five? If you disagree, that is fine mate, but I am not going to sit here and pretend that it was some great match when it was nothing more than two guys laying around the ring for a long time  while simultaneously deconstructing the successful WWE  main event formula in favor of the Davey Richards pseudo-main event match structure that is based off the how, but not the why.

If Davey Richards and Eddie Edwards DID THE EXACT SAME MATCH (replace Taker/HBK's finished with that of Edwards/Richards), people would have shit on it hardcore. 

You argued this back then. You were wrong and you're still wrong. Undertaker and HBK were two icons in wrestling going out and fighting to a standstill at the grandest stage of them all. Edwards/Richards were two guys trading death finishers in front of a few hundred people and they do it ALL THE TIME.

Context matters.

• Like 2

Close to 18 years and the Bash At The Beach 96 still is one of those great moments of wrestling storytelling.  Sting, Savage,  and Luger vs. The Outsiders and the Big guy is still one of m y favorite moments from WCW.

It was genius at the time turning Hogan.  Just kept the belt on him for way too long.

What is better Richards vs edwards, balls to the wall classic at best in the world or the "overkill" of taker vs hbk? Given their age I would say taker vs hbk giving all they got trumps it. Was that really just the whole point? :)

If Davey Richards and Eddie Edwards DID THE EXACT SAME MATCH (replace Taker/HBK's finished with that of Edwards/Richards), people would have shit on it hardcore. 

You argued this back then. You were wrong and you're still wrong. Undertaker and HBK were two icons in wrestling going out and fighting to a standstill at the grandest stage of them all. Edwards/Richards were two guys trading death finishers in front of a few hundred people and they do it ALL THE TIME.

Context matters.

So if Richards/Edwards happened on a bigger stage then it makes all the difference? Not buying it. I am also not a fan of Angle/HBK from WM 21 and I've stated why in the past. MY FINISHER, NOW YOUR FINISHER, NOW MY FINISHER, NOW YOUR FINISHER! Again, I know what they were going for at WM25, but I disagree with the presentation and never really like that stuff from other people (which is why I bring up Richards/Edwards). Taker and HBK had a lot of clout going into Mania and both are known for having good-to-great matches, so anything they did that night was going to be praised. I am also not a fan of HBK's bad acting. HHH/Taker's 3rd Mania encounter was killed by HBK being way too animated and taking the spotlight off the match at the wrong time. I also didn't buy his story of confliction.

HBK/Taker strayed away from the story on more than one occasion during that match because having an epic and reminding the people watching that its an epic (while shitting on a few things in the process) was way more important. Based off some people's comments I am taking away this: "Taker and HBK had a good match at Mania because they are both icons and it was held at Mania! Anyone who doesn't agree is a poopy head! Taker ROOLZ and HBK 4evASSS!!11!". Is that about the gist of it?

Gregg, I love Shane and his awesome 'I will prove I am a man' wrestling style, but I probably would not bring up his punches as evidence of him being a good worker.

As for the HBK/Davey comparison, it's not the number of fans that they do it in front of, that's missing the point. The issue is that Davey and Eddie have that finisher heavy match every time, and against everyone. Davey will go epic at a random Indy in Iowa just like he would in the main event of a pay per view. HBK doesn't trade finishers with many other people because he doesn't have to, but when presented with the Undertaker at Wrestlemania, it's his only chance. That's clearly not the same story that Davey is telling when he tries to get a five star match mid way through the card against Trik Davis or somebody.

Does EVERY fucking thread have to eventually turn into a fight about HBK's wrestling ability?

I think the first Taker match was amazing. You don't. Now, what else are you watching?

Posted in another thread some thoughts on Starrcade '87, which I watched over the weekend to take my mind off the Arizona-Wisconsin game. Also been going through the early Manias, most recently watching 5. 

The Twin Towers against Rockers to open the show is tremendous. It's easy to get distracted by their gimmicks, one guy working in goofy police attire and the other playing up horribly offensive stereotypes, but man; Bossman and One Man Gang are soooo good.

Kind of a shame Gang wasn't around WWF about 4 years earlier, I could have seen him in the King Kong Bundy role as the monster heel challenging Hogan at WM2. '86 Hogan and Gang could have had a terrific match. 

What have you seen from Sabu and Sandman would make you think they should have a good match with each other?

While the majority of their matches were pretty poor, Stairway to Hell was lightning in a bottle for the two of them and will always be one of my favorite matches.

Watching Fully Loaded and its like the 10th video with a Chris Benoit match with no marker. I do a search and am met with: No results were found for that term. Please try a new search. Incredible. Also WM14, KOTR 1996, and NTR 1997 all have this crazy looking fan with long black hair and equally dark shades. So random. I'll post screen caps later.

None of the Benoit matches have markers from what I can tell. Even when he's in a multi-man match they don't put a marker. For instance, Uncensored 97 doesn't have a marker and I don't think any of the Rumbles he was in has one either.

I had been watching the Press conference life and then had to go for an hour or two to take care of things. I come back and it runs for another minuite.

Right when Daniel Bryan goes "Well, Triple H was talking about dreams..."

the feed catches up and Vince shouts... "WWF IN YOUR HOUSE: BEWARE OF DOG!!!!!" 

and I swear to you I am trying really hard not to crack up even typing it now. 

Cracks me up the concept of "members of the media" on these WWE press conference.  You are trying to act like you are professional and "business like" while you are sitting next to fans in Bray Wyatt masks yelling YES YES YES.   Would it really be wrong for them to act like marks they are and join the fun  Especially when the wrestlers are begging for a reaction   ^_^

Batista was incredible as the guy who doesn't give two fucks about this press conference.  "I have one pair of skinny jeans and I wear them every night just to piss you off"   :lol: