DVDVR Message Board

[WWE NETWORK] What Are You Watching?

RIPPA

Watching Fully Loaded and its like the 10th video with a Chris Benoit match with no marker. I do a search and am met with: No results were found for that term. Please try a new search. Incredible. Also WM14, KOTR 1996, and NTR 1997 all have this crazy looking fan with long black hair and equally dark shades. So random. I'll post screen caps later.

Benoit matches aren't indexed, period.  They are there, uncut, etc, but you can't search for them or automatically skip to them. 

What was the last Taker Mania match that wasn't awesome? Punk last year was fantastic; the Michaels matches were incredible; loved the match vs. Edge; of the last six years, the two HHH matches were my least favorite of Taker's Mania stuff and still great matches.

His Batista match at 23, maybe? More likely Mark Henry at 22, though.

Still slowly making my way through the World Class footage and King Kong Bundy is still amazing. Any time he has interview time he never fails to entertain. Bundy feels like he would be a cool friend but you may be forced to keep him out of fights for the protection of the patrons in the bar. Bundy isn't a hard character to get behind, he is just a hard working joe trying to make his money.

Al Medrill is pretty good in the ring, sadly he seems to hate the wrestling business now according to his wiki entry.

The WWEN recently uploaded one of the shows leading into the Flair/Von Erich Star Wars title match. It has a great confrontation between Fritz and Flair where Flair angers Fritz to the point where the old man sounds like a demon by the end. The entire angle was well thought out seemingly months in advance and every step is taken in a logical direction.

The World Class archives have most of the build up and the Star Wars show up. Such great storytelling around that time. It's clear that the Michael Hayes theory about working as a heel that Foley mentions in his book comes so much from this show.

Because Austin wouldn't job to HHH. That was the rumor anyway. Although I've seen others say it was because Governor Jesse was the ref and they didn't want to end the show with him raising a heel's hand. I guess that makes some sense although if non-wrestling fans saw a picture in say USA Today the next morning, I don't know how they'd know a bad guy won.

It was because they didn't want Jesse getting booed raising HHH's hand.

Hogan tries to piledrive Andre, I dont ever think I have seen Hogan do a piledriver ever

Hogan trying to piledrive Paul Orndorff for revenge was a pretty regular spot on the house shows during their feud.  It's even leads to the finish on The Big Event.

What was the last Taker Mania match that wasn't awesome? Punk last year was fantastic; the Michaels matches were incredible; loved the match vs. Edge; of the last six years, the two HHH matches were my least favorite of Taker's Mania stuff and still great matches.

His Batista match at 23, maybe? More likely Mark Henry at 22, though.

The Batista match smokes the Punk and Hunter matches. That Punk match was really quite average. I think people get a hardon for it because it stood out on a really shitty show.

The Punk match was heartstopping live.

The 27 Hunter match is still my favorite Taker mania match by far, though.

The Batista match was really good though. The Henry match is solid, but they had two or three better matches against each other on Smackdown that year.

Elimination Chamber's up in case you were wondering. Watching Shield vs. Wyatts again. The pre-match package for this is so great and so badass. I'm going to get around to watching a ton of stuff I haven't seen ever/in years but man I just want to see the early reaction for this match again. What other matches had this sort of reaction before the match even began? And what one happened on a non-major PPV? And what one happened without the presence of a Hall Of Fame type guy? Six dudes, none on the roster longer than two years, tearing the roof down and then some.

Something I missed in this match -- Bray screaming at Ambrose in the early match stand-off, playing off him being a loose cannon. Then the whole match, Dean just wants to fight Bray. Insanely great touch.

As long as Sabu and Sandman put each other through tables or hitting each other with canes and doing stuff like that, I'm fine with it.

Its my overall Match of the Year and a Match of the Decade candidate. Amazing how it lived up to hype/expectations. The rematch on RAW in Chicago was terrific as well.

BROCK/CENA, EXTREME RULES: This match is really wild and not like anything else in recent WWE history in terms of style. Brock just tortures Cena the entire match -- him licking blood, chaining Cena's feet, tossing refs left and right, kimura's on the ring steps, etc. Brock's over-the-top-rope knee thing was a true "WTF is this dude doing?" Cena's one move before the end -- the kimura on the steps -- was a crazy strength spot. I also loved the callback. I love the old adage where when you introduce a gun into a play/movie/etc., you always have to use the gun. I love they did that with the chain -- Cena wanted to use it earlier, only for Brock to torment Cena by chaining his legs together, kicking it away with a "No no" taunt, etc. But then after the crazy floor spot, Cena covertly finds the chain and knocks Brock out cold with it, leading to the AA on the ring steps. They introduced the chain and it paid off later on.

I take it everyone was divided on the end in that match? I totally get that. I'm not going to complain about booking or what have you -- I have zero recollection of what this led into for Cena and Brock -- but they do have Cena always cast as a comeback kid. I genuinely like that, but I would have liked it if he was cast as a bit more of Lesnar's equal to start the match before Lesnar overpowered him. That would have made Lesnar's dominance even more prominent, and it would have made Cena's miracle end even better. Instead, the end had a David vs. Goliath vibe -- Cena hit his slingshot and the giant fell. I get that, but Cena shouldn't be David.

But still, really chaotic and nuts match.

I wasn't going to watch Extreme Rules 2012 live (1am-4am) but I'm so glad I did. One of the best ever PPV's headlined by the great Cena vs. Lesnar match. I'm hoping to rewatch it on the week.

The last 6 or so Taker WM matches are pretty much on the same level for me: really fun live, the first time through, but don't hold up very well on re-watch.

The exception being the HHH HIAC, which was just terrible faux-epic melodrama from all three guys involved even the first time through.

Undertaker vs. Batista at WrestleMania 23 was the Match of the Night. The Undertaker vs. Edge from WrestleMania XXIV was great with Edge reversing most of Undertaker's big moves. It's a top four match from The Streak. The Undertaker vs. Shawn Michaels at WrestleMania XXV is a classic, the rematch is terrific but I prefer the original.

Undertaker vs. Triple H has the biggest close call of The Streak when 'Taker kicks out of Triple H's Tombstone Piledriver. I like the rematch in the Hell in a Cell a year later more that that one and more than most. I thought Undertaker/Punk at WrestleMania XXIX was one of Punk's best matches last year but my least favourite out of the matches mentioned.

Watched Wrestlemania 8 after waking up this morning. What an underrated, and kinda forgotten, show.

- Solid opener between HBK and Tito Santana.

- Undertaker's best match at Wrestlemania during his "cartoon" phase.

- Classic match between Bret and Piper. One of my favorite IC title matches ever.

- Awesome Savage/Flair match. Probably the second best title Mania match behind Rock/Austin.

Yea, Hogan and Justice was nothing special, but this is right up there with the best Wrestlemanias. Definitely top 5.

Watching the Triple H documentary and the it is amazing how he became what he did giiven that a Jay Strongbow match as a kid got him interested in wrestling and that Ted Arcidi was the first guy who got him introduced to the business.  Talk about an auspicious start  :D 

• Like 1

Watching Fully Loaded and its like the 10th video with a Chris Benoit match with no marker. I do a search and am met with: No results were found for that term. Please try a new search. Incredible. Also WM14, KOTR 1996, and NTR 1997 all have this crazy looking fan with long black hair and equally dark shades. So random. I'll post screen caps later.

As tristof said, it sounds like you're describing Faith No More Guy. He was also at pretty much all the ECW Arena events during the company's heyday.

Watched Wrestlemania 8 after waking up this morning. What an underrated, and kinda forgotten, show.

- Solid opener between HBK and Tito Santana.

- Undertaker's best match at Wrestlemania during his "cartoon" phase.

- Classic match between Bret and Piper. One of my favorite IC title matches ever.

- Awesome Savage/Flair match. Probably the second best title Mania match behind Rock/Austin.

Yea, Hogan and Justice was nothing special, but this is right up there with the best Wrestlemanias. Definitely top 5.

I loved Hogan coming out and laying into Sid with Real American blasting in the background like Hogan was New Jack or something. Legit added a wild vibe to the match. The rest of the match was nothing but the opening moments were a lot of fun.

Wow! Just did a search and yep! That's the guy! He definitely stands out at the KOTR 96 PPV mainly do to his applauding during Goldust's ring antics (rubbing himself down, crawling on Ahmed, etc.). Just struck me as weird. As a nice side note:

bleacherreport.com/articles/1692894-brock-lesnar-guy-and-the-7-most-recognizable-wwe-fans-in-the-world

There's a part of me that really misses seeing a lot of the "superfans" at all the major wrestling shows. It might sound weird, but I thought it seemed like a real tight-knit community among those folks and almost added to a "big event" feel.

Oh man, that Bleacher Report article on super fans brought back the memory of the very first time ECW came to Detroit. The Inkster Recreation Center in January 1998. To this day I still don't know what was more surreal: Pee Wee Jones offering me tickets to the show in exchange for weed, or Roddy Hogan walking in dressed in full Hollywood Hogan garb and leaving after three matches because ECW fans were heckling him with "Hogan sucks!" chants mercilessly.