DVDVR Message Board

[WWE NETWORK] What Are You Watching?

RIPPA

Watching World War 3 1995

JOhnny B Badd vs. DDP was pretty freaking great. Badd has had a great two years on pPV. 1994 and 1995, besides a Hony Tonk Man match, he has delivered every time out. 

Big Bubba vs. Jim Duggan is a match for guys who like to see two big dudes punch each other a lot. They mix in some nice clever spots and if you like both of these guys, you will like this match. 

Which PPV does Badd take on Honky? Oh yeah watching Superbrawl 1 and Johnny's debut.

OH HUSH...HE'S JUST A BIG OL UGLY BEAR. I'M SO PRETTY SHOULDA BEEN BORN A LIL GURL.

My favorite Badd/DDP match is Badd/DDP from Havoc '95. I'm not splitting hairs, though, because Badd/DDP was never any worse than "very good" in any of those matches they had between '94 and '96. 

I remember not being a fan of the ending of Badd/Saito at Starrcade '95, but I do remember liking the match quite a bit as Saito cheated to ground Badd each time Badd would try to get something going. Otherwise, yeah, Badd/Honky is the only non-good PPV match from Badd during that time period being talked about. 

When I was a kid I didn't think much of Johnny B. Badd but it turns out he had good matches with everyone. I was watching Superbrawl I earlier, own the VHS but haven't seen the live version of the show in years.

Does everyone love Steiners vs. Sting and Luger as much as me? I've already read some comments on it in here. Super face team vs. super face team, everyone getting their shit in, Dusty and JR going nuts... 

"They doin' it all baby! they doooin' it all.."

I'm pretty sure the reason Flair/Hogan didn't happen at WM8 is because Hogan decide to "retire" for other persuits post WM, and having Hogan go over Flair then leaving wouldn't work that well.  Hence the reason why the Sid fued was kicked into high gear(instead of Sid being the SummerSlam monster for Hogan to slay), Flair was transistioned into a fued with Savage.  Hogan wasn't seen again til a couple months before WM9 to build for the MegaManiacs/Money Inc. match.

Agreed. I don't put nearly as much stock into the whole, "they didn't think it would draw well" stuff as much as I do, "Hogan was leaving and there was no way he'd put Flair over on his way out and there was no logical reason to have Flair lose to a departing Hulk Hogan."

If you don't even in your internal voice yell at Gene Kniski at least once, you're not watching that match closely enough.

I'm only a few minutes in, but I imagine this has something to do with him being out of position, slow counting, and/or being in the way of some movies?

Just watched Survivor Series '87. Damn, I still love this PPV, but noteworthy because this is the first time I've seen the British Bulldogs elimination.  It was cut out of the Coliseum Video version and I always wondered why. 

That Legends Roundtable on "Renegades" that turns into DDP putting himself over for 45 minutes, whilst Roddy Piper sulks in the corner that the attention isn't on him is probably the worst of the lot so far.

DDP gushing over Bischoff while the rest of.the panel sits in stoney silence is great.

Watching WM 25 on the live stream... never got around to watching anything but Taker/HBK, and man... I must've spaced out around that time period, 'cause I don't remember Jericho ever being that doughy. Wow.

Extreme Rules 2012

First up Kane v. Randy Orton in a Falls Count Anywhere match.  They brawl through the crowd in the boring, I'll punch you while walking around the arena in a obviously cleared path style that I can't stand.   There is a black kid in the audience with dyed blonde hair and a t-shirt that says, "Drug Free," meaning that he made the decision to dye his hair that color sober.  I'm not saying he should do drugs, just that as far as his decision making goes, it couldn't hurt.  Zach Ryder jumps Kane in the back because he wants the powers that be realize he still works for them.  They conveniently find their way back to the ring, which is business exposing.  If you are in a blood feud with a guy who assaulted your dad with a lead pipe, and you are legit fighting in a building as big as an arena, what are the odds you would make it back to the ring by accident.  Elevated DDT on the floor looks absolutely brutal, hopefully that mask is padded.   Randy mugs for the crowd after a superplex, Kane cuts him off with a chokeslam and Randy kicks out at two.  Tombstone on a chair countered into an RKO on a chair, and that does it.  Pretty good, but I don't really believe these guys hate each other enough to assault each other's families.  No falls count anywhere match should end in the ring, no reason to have a stipulation that doesn't directly affect the end of the match.

I'm only going to mention this terrible Johnny, Eve, and Teddy skit to say that I want Eve to have my children.

Brodus Clay v. Dolph Ziggler is up next in a who can disgust me with their incessant ass shaking match.  Vicky Guerrero, Jack Swagger, Hornswaggle, and the Funktadactyls are at ringside.  Dolph tried to make Clay's terrible offense look good, but the only things that looked good in this match are Naomi and Cameron's well shaped asses.

Cody Rhodes v. Big Show in a tables match, so going in we know that Cody is going to take a ridiculous bump.  Cody's entrance jacket is fucking awesome, and every wrestler who comes down to the ring in their goofy t-shirt should feel ashamed.  Cody just took a crazy bump on the floor, and then does a disaster kick off of a table propped up in a corner.  Cody is pretty good, but the finish of this match is fucking stupid.  Cody dropkicks Big Show as he is getting in the ring and Big Show steps back through a table.  Big Show spears Cody into living death after the bell, and then chockslams him through a table and the announcers try to justify this assault.  Remember the ridiculous bump I mentioned at the beginning of this paragraph?  After the spear and the chokeslam Show press slams him out of the ring through a table…Big Show is the face.  Cody looks legitimately hurt, and King mocks him on commentary.  The crowd actually starts chanting for Cody, which I appreciate because he just took about 5 years off his life for their pleasure.

Edge DVD promo, and I noticed that Edge and Lita have the two strangest shaped faces since the elephant man.  Did they have a kid?  Conan O'Brien should do one of those face mashup things with them just for my entertainment.

Daniel Bryan interview, they cut to the crowd and a white guy is dressed like Gedo, he is wearing a bandana around his head so low that he probably can't see anything but who am I to criticize his horrible fashion sense?  AJ is creepily stalking Daniel, and I wish she was stalking me too.  Does stalking cease to be stalking, when you invite your stalker in your house?  Seriously, it's cold outside and she doesn't have own a shirt that covers her mid-drift. 

Daniel Bryan v. Sheamus 2/3 falls, Bryan is out first and the crowd chants his name even after berating someone as adorable and worthy of love as the beautiful and talented, sexy assed AJ.  Sheamus throws his t-shirt into the crowd and a small Hispanic man shows some amazing hand speed to snatch it from a blonde woman.  She wasn't even mad, I think she was impressed.  Cool spot alert:  Sheamus rolls through a sunset flip right into a Cloverleaf, which he sits down on like he has a personal vendetta against Daniel Bryan's spine.  Sheamus catches Daniel Bryan's diving knee from the apron and slams him into the barrier.  Daniel Bryan is stretching Sheamus' with a hammer lock armbar combo, then stands on his face, just to be a dick.  Daniel Bryan shows 10 times more hatred in everything he does over avenging a loss than Randy Orton did to Kane  over Kane assaulting his dad with a lead pipe.  Little things like how he wrenches on every submission and the way he lays his strikes in is what makes him such a special worker.  Randy Orton is just as talented as Bryan, he just doesn't put the emphasis on the little things that add emotion to a match.  For instance, the first fall goes to Sheamus after he smashes his shoulder into the ring post, and Bryan assaults his arm so viscously he gets disqualified.  Bryan immediately locks in the Yes Lock and pulls on his shoulder and neck until Sheamus passes out for the second fall.  Bryan leads a very loud Yes, and conflicting No chant, while the doctors check on Sheamus.  April 29th, 2012 he was already super over with the crowd, almost 2 years later WWE still hasn't taken advantage of his talent.  Sheamus is really selling the arm, until he hits the Brogue kick for the win in an absolutely incredible match. 

Handicap match between Ryback and two dudes who look like they are too small for a middle school football team.  They cut one of the worst promos in the history of the English language.  Ryback is probably heavier than the two of them combined.  Seriously the guy who starts the match looks like he has never lifted a weight in his life.  Ryback in an incredible spot basically picks him up from his back and powerslams him in one single motion.  I know this is supposed to put over how powerful he is, but it just makes me think he is an asshole who beats up grade school children.

CM Punk v. Chris Jericho in a Chicago Street Fight, over Jericho trying to make CM Punk an alcoholic by osmosis.  It is worth noting that CM Punk is a babyface in his hometown, and I'd be willing to bet Daniel Bryan, a dickhead heel, got at least as good of an initial pop.  The CM Punk chant is probably louder, but that is probably because half the crowd was chanting "No" with Bryan.  They start brawling, and Punk has a Kendo Stick.  I always wondered why these wrestling organizations keep so many Kendo Sticks around, do Kendo Sticks exist outside of wrestling?  Checked Amazon, you can get one pretty cheap, a reviewer said he bought a pair for his nephews so they could beat on each other and not get in trouble.  Those kids are exposing the business.  Jericho insults Punk's sister and she slaps him and now Punk is pissed and slams Jericho through the hood of the announce table.  Punk then tries to pildrive Jericho on the floor only to get back body dropped hard on the floor.  Punk slips on his springboard clothesline then gets beat with a stick that wouldn't hurt some guys nephews.  Punk goes for a small package, which goes against all logic in a street fight, when you aren't trying to win as much as you are trying to kick the other guys ass.  Jericho finds some beer under the ring, isn't it funny how no matter what you want you can find it under a wrestling ring?  Is that where all those socks that I can't find the match for are?  CM Punk is really good, but he would be better if he stopped doing so much stuff he just plain isn't good at, like his terrible looking powerslam, and fair to middling elbow drop.  A couple of really contrived spots Punk counters the Lionsault in an electric chair position and then awkwardly teases the GTS.  Then he gets up and staggers around for a second until he falls straight into a codebreaker.  Jericho locks in a Liontamer, and then the Walls of Jericho, Punk finds a fire extinguisher under the ring and sprays his way out.  Punk then elbows him through the Spanish Announce Table, somewhere Amazing Red curses under his breath.  Back in Jericho gets out of the Anaconda Vice with the Kendo Stick those Amazon brats ruined for me forever.  Jericho then hits a chair assisted codebreaker then gets cocky and tries to hit Punk with the GTS which Punk counters into a slingshot to an exposed turnbuckle.  Punk hits the GTS and gets the win before diving into the crowd.  Pretty good, except it was worked more like a no DQ match than a street fight. 

Eve and the Bellas have a backstage skit that leads to Layla's return and all of a sudden I realize I'd have to have to pick up another job in order to support all the kids I'd like to have with these women.  After twin magic Layla hits Brie with an absolutely devastating looking neckbreaker that has Rick Rude's hips rolling around in his grave.

Brock Lesnar is talking about how he is going to beat the shit out of John Cena to legitimize WWE, how about you get rid of those bullshit Kendo Sticks if you are so concerned about WWE being legitimate.  Lesnar takes down Cena and beats him bloody in the first 10 seconds of the match.  I get it now, he is going to legitimize WWE by legitimately beating the shit out of John Cena.  Cena gets a lot of criticism but that guy is earning his pay today, Brock is now licking John Cena's blood off of his hands.   Charles Robinson took a ref bump from Brock that for once looked like it might knock a grown man unconscious.  Brock now has Cena's chain, and we might need to take a collection for Cena's family, because Brock may kill him.  In a horribly mean spirited, assholish move Lesnar chains his ankles together and then hangs him upside down from the ring post and then goes outside and works him over like a heavy bag.   Cena is crawling into the ring with his chain like he is going to do something, until Brock takes his chain and casually flings it out of the ring.  Charles Robinson is back up until Brock F5s Cena into him and he is once again in a coma.  Another ref comes in and counts Cena down for 2, and Brock decides that he wanted a 3 and kills the ref with a clothesline.  Brock throws the ring steps into the ring and locks on a kimura until Cena powers out and slams him on the stairs.  Cena goes to the top rope and attempts to drop a legdrop on Brock, but Brock moves.  Brock hits Cena with a flying knee and falls over the top rope and out of the ring to the floor.  Brock has got so bored trying to kill Cena he starts to try to kill himself.  Because he is a cyborg, Brock gets up and starts laughing before deciding to hit Cena with another insane flying knee, but Cena cuts him off by hitting him in the head with a chain.  Now Lesnar is bleeding, and Cena AAs him on the ring steps.  We have a new leader in the clubhouse kids, this is the best match of the countdown so far. 

Best match so far:  Cena v. Lesnar

Top 5

1. Cena v. Lesnar
  2. Hart v. Diesel…Survivor Series 1995 was #15 and it was a pretty good show, but probably shouldn't be on the list.  This was the best match on the show, and the only one worth including here.  Though you should probably check out the opener too.
  3.  Mysterio v. Psycosis
  4. Bryan v. Sheamus
  5. Cena v. Edge

Next up Canadian Stampede, this is probably #1 on my most anticipated watch list.  I was probably at the height of my fandom at the time of this show, but none of the video stores in my area ever had it.  I always wanted to watch this show, but I never have, I can't wait. 

Didn't care about WWE redubbing over the music until I watched the SuperBrawl 2000 segment with Cat and James Brown. The new music they inserted is just lame and kills the vibe of the entire thing. The adding in of the new track lessed the sound of the pop James Brown received when he started dancing.

YOU SHOULD INITIATE A CLASS ACTION LAW SUIT

• Like 7

so that two-ring battle royale that opens the Great American Bash 1989 makes TNA's reverse battle royale(s) look like the '92 Rumble. Ranger Ross eliminating Ron Simmons made me sick a little bit. The next 3 matches helped my decision to turn off the show early.