DVDVR Message Board

[WWE NETWORK] What Are You Watching?

RIPPA

I am still befuddled by the obsession over PPVs that you could have watched on Youtube 4 days ago but I am old and cranky.

Please add more content then I AM WATCHING A RANDOM NITRO FROM 1998!!!!

• Like 1

Cross post from the last topic regarding my main man Barry Windham

BrianS81177, on 27 Feb 2014 - 04:32 AM, said:snapback.png

At a quick glance I see:

Windham/Dustin Rhodes/Nikita Koloff vs Austin/Eaton/Arn Beach Blast 92

Windham vs Flair Slamboree 94 (is this the one where he blows out his knee?)

Windham vs Flair Beach Blast 93

Windham vs Arn Slamboree 93

Windham vs Muta Superbrawl 3

Windham/Dustin vs Dr Death/Austin Halloween Havoc 92 (why were Doc and Austin teaming?)

Beach Blast was where he blew out his knee, such a subpar match. In his shoot Windham mentions having cadavar cartilige put in his knee and coming back too early so it didn't take causing it to blow out.

Doc and Austin were teaming coz Gordy tried to squeeze Watts for more money so got turfed IIRC.

What's people's problem with Windham as the Widowmaker? Apart from how shortlived it was. He was on point and would've been huge imo as he was riding the crest of his peak

So I decided to revisit the start of when I became a wrestling fan again. so I've watched the Royal Rumble and No Way Out from 2000.  I think the biggest thing I've noticed is how much more brutal some matches are since things like bleeding and shots to the head have been taken out of the WWE.  Watching the Dudleys/Hardys table match, the Triple H/Cactus Jack matches and heck even Bossman cracking the nightstick in half over Tazz's head just seem that much more nasty now.

Also I love seeing Rikishi getting the next big thing.  I remember his elimination run in the Rumble, but then the next month he pretty much takes out the Radicals by himself on one good leg.  That match is also great as Dean Malenko sneak attacks are almost the default transition to offense for his team.  It's neat to see him come flying of camera and take people out, it just gives his crew an extra vicious vibe.

And while the Hell in the Cell match certainly had the bigger spots of the two matches, I think I prefer the street fight because it just flowed better as a match.  To me it seems like there are a lot of awkward pauses in the HitC match while they set up for the next big thing.

Watching Capital Combat '90 for a PPV discussion thread on another forum.

So far, it's bleh.

Six Man Tag with the Road Warriors teaming up with Norman The Lunatic to take on Sullivan, Cactus Jack and Bigelow. Even in 1990, Cactus Jack takes about five crazy bumps.. 

Johnny Ace (in his final televised WCW match) vs a very young Mean (Undertaker) Mark That the crowd gives no shits for.

Samoan Swat Team vs Tommy Rich and Captain Mike Rotunda. Technically fine, but this crowd again isn't your normal NWA/WCW crowd and refuses to get into the match, despite Rich clapping at least for two minutes straight during a Face In Peril run

I used the Network to watch Wrestlemania 2 for the first time. We are in the middle of a Wrestlemania Retrospective series at the moment. I'll share it on the board once we get a few more episodes under our bet. Today was the third episode to hit iTunes.

EDIT: The Bulldogs/Dream Team match is far better than I remember it being when I watched it during the DVDVR '80s WWF poll before I gave up on having time to watch all 100 matches.

I am still befuddled by the obsession over PPVs that you could have watched on Youtube 4 days ago but I am old and cranky.

Please add more content then I AM WATCHING A RANDOM NITRO FROM 1998!!!!

I'm with you on that, but then again I'm one of those nerds who used to ransack the Blockbusters whenever they'd sell their used WWF PPVs and Coliseum videos, so I have a lot of this stuff already.

Starrcade '83 has two glorious moments already and I'm only three matches in:  Gordon Solie introducing the wrestling world to "Tony Sha-ponie" and the shitty treatment of Scott McGhee.

Kevin Sullivan & Mark Lewin beat Johnny Weaver & McGhee, Scott goes nuts after and attacks everyone including Gary Hart.  Sullivan attacks Scott with a blade (you literally see Kevin run the blade across his forehead) and Scott taps a gusher.  Angelo Mosca makes the save and carries him out of the ring as if he were a teenage girl.  At that point the bleeding had stopped, and it didn't look so bad.  So when they go back to the dressing room for reaction, they clearly had BLADED him AGAIN to get a better effect, so Mosca is ranting about his son while Scott lays there half dead in a pool of blood.  Schiavonne then ignores McGhee's lifeless body (who clearly needs medical attention) and asks Mosca who's going to win the Flair-Race match.

I own a lot of the ppvs but there's a ton I don't have and I guess its just nice to have all of it right at a click of the button... YouTube isn't always kind to me unfortunately it runs pretty slow sometimes.

Tonight is where I really get excited. A live NXT show sounds pretty awesome. I need to watch the WM rewind also.. those look great.

Watching Spring Stampede 1994 right now. Just started. 

I find it completely unacceptable that they dubbed over "Theme From Johnny B. Badd". Also good gawd has anyone ever - ever - gotten as far as DDP with such a horrible look? I'm not talking build or anything, he doesn't look like a successful pro wrestler.

Watching Spring Stampede 1994 right now. Just started. 

I find it completely unacceptable that they dubbed over "Theme From Johnny B. Badd". Also good gawd has anyone ever - ever - gotten as far as DDP with such a horrible look? I'm not talking build or anything, he doesn't look like a successful pro wrestler.

I love DDP, but he looks like a guy who got fired from his job pumping gas for being irresponsible.  He just looks like the guy who drives an El Camino with a bed full of empty beer cans.

• Like 1

What's people's problem with Windham as the Widowmaker? Apart from how shortlived it was. He was on point and would've been huge imo as he was riding the crest of his peak

Because everybody was wanting and hoping for more out of it. Here was Barry, coming in with a badass gimmick at his peak, and it went nowhere. No Widowmaker-v-Undertaker. No Widowmaker-v-Hogan. Nothin'.

Watchin' Living Dangerously 2000. Could've sworn I saw it live on PPV, but I remember nothing beyond the opening brawl between Gertner, Styles, and Cyrus.

My original plan was to watch all of Vader's WCW PPV matches so I started with his debut at the GAB 90.  I ended up watching Pillman/Landell, Rich/Race, and the Midnights/Southern Boys before his match with the Z-Man.  Then I started thinking that I'm going to have to go back and watch all of the Midnight Express' stuff after this.  And Tully.  And Dustin.  And Rude.  And Regal.  And about twenty other guys.  So the plan has changed to start from Starrcade 83 and work my way up in order.

Judy Martin was by far the best person in that match. I found the JBAs pretty disappointing and Martin pretty great.

It's also kind of killing me that people are seeing Cesaro/Zayn 2/3 falls without seeing the 2-3 matches (if you count the tag) that built up to it since they built off of a lot of spots from the prior matches.

Because everybody was wanting and hoping for more out of it. Here was Barry, coming in with a badass gimmick at his peak, and it went nowhere. No Widowmaker-v-Undertaker. No Widowmaker-v-Hogan. Nothin'.

Widowmaker-Undertaker would have been impossible since Taker was in World Class in 1989.

The writing was on the wall for Barry since he couldn't even beat The Red Rooster or Tito Santana in the only high-profile matches he had.

Watching the one WCCW episode, I'd forgotten what an obnoxious little weasel David Manning was. Yeesh, that dude was compensating for something fierce.

Love the brawl with the Freebirds vs Bundy/Irwin as Gran Markus and his partner sort of get involved. Really chaotic and out of control with Marc Lowrance on the house mic calling for help from the back, leading to Bugsy McGraw hitting the ring with an awesome "Yay! I love my work!" grin and just taking pot-shots at everyone in sight. I really miss Lowrance on the PA... he's my favorite ring announcer of all time not named Howard Finkel.

Funny how the 'Birds were super over as babyfaces here and about 2 months away from becoming Public Enemy Number 1 in the territory.