DVDVR Message Board

Wrestlemania Triple X!

Dolfan in NYC

Overall this one reminds me of WM17, in that they have this huge industry-changing moment in the Network debut that happened right before Mania, and in doing so it kind of stolen WM's thunder and took the company's focus off of this show. I get that if Bryan wins everyone goes home happy, and that he is and should be the focal point. But we're setting the bar pretty low for the biggest show of the year if all we expect is for them to do a kinda-sorta-barely adequate job of culminating exactly one storyline in the span of a full year.

If this show is half as good as WM 17, I'll be ecstatic.

Although it's funny how that show turned out so great when the build was terrible as you alluded to. You had the purchase of WCW being a footnote in the McMahon family drama, Austin coming off a loss to HHH at No Way Out and most of the Rock feud centered around Debra, Angle going from champ to meaningless midcard match with Benoit, Jericho peeing in Regal's tea, a no-effort TLC rehash, and the usual assortment of midcard filler. It really only had HHH/Taker as the lone good feud and couple good promos from Austin/Rock that everyone remembers instead of the Debra stuff.

Hopefully this show can go down the same path where the matches/big spots end up being so good, everyone will forget how we got there.

The end in 0 manias are the time when WWE reminds us that they are a wrestling company. Hart walked out at X, Benoit and Eddie at 20 and Bryan at 30 I believe that Bryan walking out as champ has been in the works since Summerslam, they just did a shit job of getting from that point to this point or did they do a great job? I mean here we are all discussing why we can see Bryan lose at mania, this is what they want. Would we be having the same conversation if he had a long reign in the fall or won the Rumble?

If it was in the works since SummerSlam, why wouldn't they just have him win the Rumble? If they were so set on inserting Big Dave into the title picture, have HIM be the third wheel, or have DB then lose his title shot to BD at Elimination Chamber, and then be forced to beat HHH at Mania to be re-inserted into the WM main event. By DB having to bitch about getting a title shot, it negates the whole purpose of the Royal Rumble: It's the only way you get a WrestleMania title shot, UNLESS you complain enough about circumstances completely unrelated to said Rumble. It's fucking terrible booking, one awesome #OccupyRaw and HHH beatdown segment makes a sensible title picture does not.

Like I said, they've done a shit job of getting to the point. I think, if this has been the plan, they're trying to throw fans off with all these twists and turns to make it more unpredictable but really it's just made the whole story less compelling. I'm not saying that this has been a good way to get to the point just the way that they decided to go with.

So you're claiming they've intentionally booked the entire title scene as complete shit to keep the fans on the egde of their seats? I think the real answer, that they're fucking idiots and only changed it at the last second to avoid an embarassing WM main event, requires a lot less mental gymnastics.

• Like 2

People keep talking about the "pre-show" but Wrestlemania will be on the WWE Network. They don't have to have a pre-show to shill last minute PPV buys anymore because they're not really trying to sell PPV anymore. They're trying to sell the WWE Network.

So is it technically even a pre-show anymore?

What a weird era WWE is in right now. We're seeing the PPV business model go away.

The Super Bowl is not on PPV.  Does it have a pre-show?

I mean, that's a good point, I won't argue that. But the Super Bowl isn't on an exclusive channel that you have to pay for either. That sells in 6-month blocks. So I just think it's sort of a date reference is all. From my understanding, people can still technically buy the show old fashioned way & pay the $65 or whatever (even though Dish dropped WWE I think) but for the most part, WWE is going to be shilling people buying the Network, not getting Wrestlemania. So what is the goal of the pre-show? To get people to sign-up for six months off of seeing one match? That doesn't seem very logical.

Do you believe that they completely switched gears on how they were going to handle Daniel Bryan or do you believe that Bryan was in line for this sort of push in the future and circumstances caused WWE to move up their timetable?

If it weren't for the crowds of the past 6 months, I'd suspect they planned to keep him around as a perpetual upper-mid card guy a la Jericho, the guy who can always be considered "in title contention," but never in the main event scene for that long.  And there were certainly no plans for him to be in the main event for WM30, because what would be the point of him feuding with the Wyatts right before he started having beef with HHH again? He goes from winning the title from Cena, losing battles to Orton, feuds with the Wyatts, and is suddenly back in the main event picture? It's entirely all due to the crowd reaction. To argue otherwise is to completely ignore the booking since Summerslam and trying to paint WWE creative as geniuses, when the reality is that they wanted Hollywood Big Dave to be their "it" guy. They didn't give a shit about DB, they wanted one of the stars for this summer's installment of the Marvel franchise to be the face of the company.

• Like 2

I actually believe that Daniel Bryan is the sort of guy they would have in the main event scene when the part-timers aren't around, but pushed down the card when guys like Taker are around for Wrestlemania.  I think they wanted him to take over CM Punk's spot in the pecking order, since he is a better performer who would be a more loyal company guy.

So you're claiming they've intentionally booked the entire title scene as complete shit to keep the fans on the egde of their seats? I think the real answer, that they're fucking idiots and only changed it at the last second to avoid an embarassing WM main event, requires a lot less mental gymnastics.

I'm not saying they intentionally booked it to be shit that's just how it has turned out, I don;t think they could have predicted that the crowd would totally shit on Big Dave, that the Wyatt story would be met with so much apathy or how much the crowd really didn't want to see Cena/Orton part 7,324,644. They had an idea but didn't really know how to follow through so it all went to shit. But I also think that they're plan has been to make D-Bry's rise up the card seem due to the crowd and not their own planning because they've probably learned that forcing guys on the crowd *coughcoughcmpunkcough* kills their momentum but make the crowd think that WWE is responding solely to them then they feel special and the wrestler gets more over.  The WWE is doing their best (which isn't very good) to make it seem like Bryan is getting over organically, which is a current trend in marketing and I wouldn't doubt that the WWE has studied the practice, but their plans were complete shit however they lucked out because he did get over organically because he is great at turning shit into gold. Basically their plan worked out in spit of themselves because they executed the plan so poorly.

So they succeeded only because of how badly they planned everything which is due to the one thing we can agree on, that they're fucking idiots.

I think Hogan will do an opening monologue similar to the Rock at 27 and will introduce the Andre Battle Royal. He'll do some backstage skits and that will be that. 

Yep.  He can't walk that aisle more than once.

He probably sticks around to present the trophy and maybe Piper comes out to jibber jabber with him.  I know they like to stick the yaks in the spot before the main but I'd just toss them out after the battle royal.  Maybe even have Flair and his daughter come out to interact with Hogan and Piper leading to Vickie Guerrero bringing out the broads for their match.

As the card looks now, I'd lay it out like:

0) Pre-show - Tag Titles

1) Battle Royal

2) Divas - Probably gonna be quick with Aksana poking everyone in the eyes leading to Eva Marie rolling her up to win the title.

3) Shield 6-man - Man, those guys got fucked. MVPs of the company and stuck in a nothing match on the biggest show of the year.

4) Cena vs. Wyatt

5) Undertaker vs. Lesnar

6) Bryan vs. HHH - Trips with the sledgehammer attack post-match leading directly into...

7) WWE World Heavyweight Championship

WWE will probably do it all funky like they do every year with Bryan/HHH after the Battle Royal and the Divas after the Undertaker.

People keep talking about the "pre-show" but Wrestlemania will be on the WWE Network. They don't have to have a pre-show to shill last minute PPV buys anymore because they're not really trying to sell PPV anymore. They're trying to sell the WWE Network.

So is it technically even a pre-show anymore?

What a weird era WWE is in right now. We're seeing the PPV business model go away.

WWE Network is only available in the US.

And it's still a pre-show regardless.  They have pre-shows for Raw and SmackDown too.

I actually believe that Daniel Bryan is the sort of guy they would have in the main event scene when the part-timers aren't around, but pushed down the card when guys like Taker are around for Wrestlemania.  I think they wanted him to take over CM Punk's spot in the pecking order, since he is a better performer who would be a more loyal company guy.

I'm gonna be blunt: the only reason I'm even bothering with WWE right now is because back in the early 2000s, when I actually watched wrestling on a regular basis, Bryan Danielson was one of the few guys no matter who he was facing on whatever ROH card that weekend, it was guaranteed to be the best match. So I'm legit very happy for a guy that nearly EVERYONE said 10 years ago didn't have the looks to go far in the business, is now the most over guy in the biggest wrasslin' company, well, that's fucking awesome. Having said that, Punk is 100x better than him on the mic, and from what I understand, moves a shitton more merch than DB ever could. So I doubt that they wanted him to take Punk's spot, but I agree 100% that he's the type of guy they'd want in main events when Taker and the Hollywoods are Hollywooding it.

I'm not saying they intentionally booked it to be shit that's just how it has turned out, I don;t think they could have predicted that the crowd would totally shit on Big Dave, that the Wyatt story would be met with so much apathy or how much the crowd really didn't want to see Cena/Orton part 7,324,644. They had an idea but didn't really know how to follow through so it all went to shit. But I also think that they're plan has been to make D-Bry's rise up the card seem due to the crowd and not their own planning because they've probably learned that forcing guys on the crowd *coughcoughcmpunkcough* kills their momentum but make the crowd think that WWE is responding solely to them then they feel special and the wrestler gets more over.  The WWE is doing their best (which isn't very good) to make it seem like Bryan is getting over organically, which is a current trend in marketing and I wouldn't doubt that the WWE has studied the practice, but their plans were complete shit however they lucked out because he did get over organically because he is great at turning shit into gold. Basically their plan worked out in spit of themselves because they executed the plan so poorly.

So they succeeded only because of how badly they planned everything which is due to the one thing we can agree on, that they're fucking idiots.

You can't tell me that "they've probably learned that forcing guys on the crowd kills their momentum" when right before that you even mention the crowd shitting on Big Dave. Having a guy come back after however many years, make 1 Raw appearance, and then winning the Royal Rumble because he's in a potential blockbuster 6 months down the road is about as "forcing guys on the crowd" as it gets, regardless of where his position was before he went Hollywooding. Their "plan" only appears to have worked if you pretty much forget anything that's happened between Survivor Series and Elimination Chamber. They are fucking idiots, but you're giving them credit where there's no credit at all to give. The only thing fans should be grateful for is that they took their heads out of their asses long enough to realize what a complete disaster WM30 would be (the selling point for their new, super-duper network, mind you) without DB in the title match.

• Like 1

I'm gonna be blunt: the only reason I'm even bothering with WWE right now is because back in the early 2000s, when I actually watched wrestling on a regular basis, Bryan Danielson was one of the few guys no matter who he was facing on whatever ROH card that weekend, it was guaranteed to be the best match. So I'm legit very happy for a guy that nearly EVERYONE said 10 years ago didn't have the looks to go far in the business, is now the most over guy in the biggest wrasslin' company, well, that's fucking awesome. Having said that, Punk is 100x better than him on the mic, and from what I understand, moves a shitton more merch than DB ever could. So I doubt that they wanted him to take Punk's spot, but I agree 100% that he's the type of guy they'd want in main events when Taker and the Hollywoods are Hollywooding it.

I can believe they would want Bryan to take Punk's spot on account of him not being a whiny pain in the ass backstage who was expected to leave when his contract was up.

• Like 1

The Rumble decision making was fucking awful, but I'm way more hyped for Trips/DB than I would have been for DB vs title holder.

I'm at the point where I want a screwy finish in DB/Trips so we can get both guys in the title match.

You can pencil in Taker for an hour of time. Long ass setup video. 10 minutes to get to the ring. 5 minutes for Brock's entrance. Half hour match, give or take. 10 minutes of lightning bolts and eye rolling and giant 22-0 signs.

Figure half and hour or more for Cena/Bray and Hunter/Bryan and probably the main event. That leaves an hour and a half for the rest of the card, some shitty musical performance, HOF intros, Hogan, backstage goofiness, Axxcess videos, video about them doing a fund raiser for a local school or whatever, blah blah blah. I HOPE the tag titles are on the pre show so they are given more than 3 minutes.

Oh, believe me, there will be plenty of eye rolling come the end of Lesnar/Taker.

Why is that? Do you think for a second that Lesnar is going to end the streak?

Of course he's not. I just think the entire build up is so ridic given that the outcome is already known. Considering that the usual formula uses reverse psychology where the weaker one prior to the PPV is typically the victor there, I guess they're using reverse reverse psychology here, in that Brock is Taker's bitch both before and after the match. And since double negatives equal a positive, the end result is simply that Brock looks like a pussy before he's soundly defeated. Solid storytelling~~

• Like 1

How can they only get seven matches onto a four hour show?  Fucking ridiculous.

It's not like there's an Iron Man match on the card.

The past few Manias have had eight matches.  It won't be hard if HHH/DB, the title match, Taker/Lesnar, Cena/Wyatt, the Shield match, and the Andre battle royal all go 15+ minutes and a couple of those go for around 30. 

Maybe they can have an impromptu IC match based on events that happen in the battle royal.