DVDVR Message Board

Community: The Final Season

Ellsworth Toohey

Great episode, but man, they made Abed look like a real piece of shit.

In fairness, Abed is usually the character that gets the kindest treatment. Most of the times where he really looks awful it's sort of handwaved for one reason or another. Which...I think it's been fairly well established by this point that you have to be kind of awful to be part of the study group.

The problem there is that this is the first time that Abed did something really bad, and really showed no remorse whatsoever.  Yeah, he's a "robot", but he always seemed to genuinely care if he hurt someone or found out he did something really wrong.

Great episode, but man, they made Abed look like a real piece of shit.

In fairness, Abed is usually the character that gets the kindest treatment. Most of the times where he really looks awful it's sort of handwaved for one reason or another. Which...I think it's been fairly well established by this point that you have to be kind of awful to be part of the study group.

He's an Aspie who lives completely in his own head and thus doesn't have the sense that what he's doing is right or wrong according to others. 

The problem there is that this is the first time that Abed did something really bad, and really showed no remorse whatsoever. Yeah, he's a "robot", but he always seemed to genuinely care if he hurt someone or found out he did something really wrong.

He tracked the women's periods and never really thought that was odd.

Too many good lines in this episode.  The "millions of dollars" line from Troy, the hawk story, etc....but this exchange killed me:

"Stop giving The Grey 4 stars."
"But I like Liam Neeson!"
"Then send him a message about the roles he chooses."

This season has been grand so far.  I was only indifferent about episode 3, which wasn't even bad.  I"m just tired of the Annie-Jeff carousel that leads nowhere.

NBC's chairman said that a sixth season is a strong possibility. Is there a more improbable run for a series in the history of television?

Chuck comes close. How about the Arrested Development revival?

Family Guy coming back and turning Seth Mcfarland into the guy responsible for 3 or 4 shows on Fox at all times was pretty crazy too.

• Like 1

NBC's chairman said that a sixth season is a strong possibility. Is there a more improbable run for a series in the history of television?

Chuck comes close. How about the Arrested Development revival?

Family Guy coming back and turning Seth Mcfarland into the guy responsible for 3 or 4 shows on Fox at all times was pretty crazy too.

I thought that too, but since I loathe Family Guy, I didn't wanna give it any credit.

Yeah, but how many of those shows fired their showrunner because he couldn't get along with the biggest star, then fired said star, then rehired the aforementioned showrunner for one last season, only to get renewed for a 6th season after it was basically announced that the 5th would be the last.  That isn't even mentioning that basically no one watches the show. 

To be fair, by the time Chevy was shitcanned, the biggest star on the show was Ken Jeong.

I'm not disputing that, but NBC seemed to think that without Chevy Chase the show would be dead in the water.  Of all the cast, his character was probably the least interesting, but despite him being abusive, racist, and insane, they decided to fire the showrunner instead of him.  It almost seems like whoever is making the decisions at NBC doesn't even watch the show. 

Are you saying that Pierce was abusive, racist, and insane - or that Chevy Chase was behind-the-scenes?

I'm not being snarky, that's a serious question. I know about him being an asshole, but I must have missed the racist stuff.

There was some story about him shouting the n word on set.  It wasn't him calling anyone that but an instance of him being frustrated with his character being written as such a blatant racist and asking if the next episode would have Pierce screaming the n word.  I've seen some people who have used that to label him as a racist.  

To be fair, by the time Chevy was shitcanned, the biggest star on the show was Ken Jeong.

I'm not disputing that, but NBC seemed to think that without Chevy Chase the show would be dead in the water.  Of all the cast, his character was probably the least interesting, but despite him being abusive, racist, and insane, they decided to fire the showrunner instead of him.  It almost seems like whoever is making the decisions at NBC doesn't even watch the show. 

Casting Chevy was actually Sony's demand. Harmon wanted Fred Willard.

Hasn't it been debunked that Harmon was fired over disputes with Chevy, and that it was actually his disputes with Sony that led the way?  Chevy's heat was with the rest of the class, but he and Harmon worked things out, leading to his return as a hologram earlier.  Harmon worked that out, and only Joel McHale knew about it before it aired.

There was some story about him shouting the n word on set.  It wasn't him calling anyone that but an instance of him being frustrated with his character being written as such a blatant racist and asking if the next episode would have Pierce screaming the n word.  I've seen some people who have used that to label him as a racist.  

Those people are dumb.

Casting Chevy was actually Sony's demand. Harmon wanted Fred Willard.

Well I would say Sony was smart on that one. . . 

• Like 2