DVDVR Message Board

Elimination Chamber

Brian Fowler

I'm sure WWE management has spent long hours discussing the very odd situation that fans sell out the arenas to tell that the main eventers are boring and killing the company.

Bryan winning tonight would have been anti-climactic. I mean, he should have won it in October but we're working with what we have. What they do need to do is when he wins, after all the fuck finishes, is make it very telegraphed so the crowds KNOWS this time it's real. Have Bryan put his career on the line, or make it to where he can never get a shot if he loses.

• Like 3

Wait a minute, so now it's weird that the fans are buying tickets and actually telling the people behind the scenes what they want? Should they just stay at home with their hands in their pockets, not vocalizing their wants and concerns? I mean, nothing changes either way, but yeah.

I'm sure WWE management has spent long hours discussing the very odd situation that fans sell out the arenas to tell that the main eventers are boring and killing the company.

Bryan winning tonight would have been anti-climactic. I mean, he should have won it in October but we're working with what we have. What they do need to do is when he wins, after all the fuck finishes, is make it very telegraphed so the crowds KNOWS this time it's real. Have Bryan put his career on the line, or make it to where he can never get a shot if he loses.

I mean, there'd still be a chance he'd lose.

• Like 1

I mean, there'd still be a chance he'd lose.

Chance? Certainty. Slow burn, people.

Wait a minute, so now it's weird that the fans are buying tickets and actually telling the people behind the scenes what they want? Should they just stay at home with their hands in their pockets, not vocalizing their wants and concerns? I mean, nothing changes either way, but yeah.

You're just identified the real problem.  I've been doing a lot of thinking while watching youtube videos of kitchens being set on fire by well-meaning idiots, and I think I've learned something.

The problem isn't the kitchen.  And it isn't the person in charge of keeping the kitchen in order.  The problem is that gross little Indy troll who doesn't belong in the kitchen and won't leave the kitchen, and all of his annoying minions who keep popping up in the kitchen and making rude noises.

It just needs the right approach to grind him down to size and the kitchen will be fine

See...problem solved...

shit.

• Like 1

The booking problem isn't Bryan not winning here, it's still Bryan not winning the Rumble and having the Mania main event.  Any ending to Wrestlemania that isn't Daniel Bryan, WWE Champion, is wrong after the last 7 months.  Not because he's the best guy in the world (he is) and not even because he's the most over guy in a decade (he is) but because that's the story they've told.  Wrestlemania is where the big moment is supposed to happen.  It's easy to argue they've already stretched this out way too far, and 7 months is different now than it was in 1990.  I mean, this is, what, the 4th ppv to end with a screwy finish between Bryan and Orton?  The only golden lining to that time is that "Wrestlemania is on the horizon."  You end Mania with Bryan holding the belt.

But they aren't going to do that, because...  and that's where this falls apart. 

• Like 11

Well, can we just collectively wait for Bryan to not win the belt at WrestleMania before we complain about it?

Also, did I miss the PDF of Batista's contract floating around guaranteeing him a title win at WM? Because everyone's acting like that's this official thing as opposed to something they read fourth hand that was originally reported by Dave "PS1" Meltzer.

• Like 5

This wasn't too bad of a show. The 2 money matches exceeded expectations, and the bad booking was totally expected this time around, so there wasn't as much sting to it.

Big E/Swagger is the match that got lost in the fold. Really solid effort from both guys. Big E got some good stuff in, Swagger joined the "Hard-wayed by Big E" club, and the finishing stretch had believable moments for both guys. Glad to see E retain. Even if there's a few guys in front of him now, there's no reason to forget him. Wonder if he'll get Cesaro for Mania.

Tag title match was ok. Not surprised by the Outlaws win, and it looks like they'll give the Usos a big rub at Mania. Nothing too bad here.

Darren/Titus was very disappointing after how well they built the match. Darren needs to find some permanent charisma before he's a permanent fixture on Main Event/Superstars. Titus is way down the list right now, but hopefully he can find a way to stay relevant.

Shield/Wyatts was every bit as great as advertised and if this was indeed it for the Shield, I tip my hat to them for their amazing run. I think it's neat how their bookend matches (TLC 2012 and here) are probably their two best, and this was a great transition to the Wyatts being the new top dogs in the 6 man game. Every guy got to show a lot here, the match layout was pretty much perfect, and the crowd paying respect to the great build made it truly special. Rowan looked as good as ever as an immovable object, Ambrose looked legit crazy throughout, Harper and Rollins tore it up in the workrate department, Bray continued to shine in his role, and Roman delivered with an epic full face turn performance. There was nary a dull moment in the match, and everything just flowed seamlessly. Easy MOTY front-runner to this point in my book.

I liked the positioning of the divas match. It was so obviously a last-second throw-in to try to siphon off any leftover energy from the 6-man in an effort to have Batista wrestle in dead silence instead of counter-productive "go away" heat. Only notable aspect was that the plan didn't work.

Batista matches are almost to the point where I feel bad for him. Then I remember his "B List" comments and the fact that Daniel Bryan won't be winning the belt at Mania, and I immediately shake that feeling and laugh at his misery. This was another laugher for Dave, as he managed to get Del Rio more heat than he's had in over a year and got an audible "Bootista" chant. The unappreciated aspect of the 6-man was how much positive heat it got and how much respect was shown for quality booking, so they can't even write this off as a bad crowd. Nobody anywhere wants to see Batista.

The EC lived up to its promise with that lineup. Everybody looked good and Orton finally shook his streak of dogshit ppv mains. Christian had a great performance in particular, playing his character to perfection. He was hitting and moving with tremendous urgency and wreckless abandon, but was felled by a surprise knee, just the hazards of the Chamber. Sheamus was a good house of fire, and the Brouge kick through the glass made up for him being the first out. Great spot there. Cena, Cesaro, and Bryan were all their usual selves, which is always good. I have an irrational amount of love for the crossbody-catapult spot, that was so "wrestling physics" perfect. The german-fireman's carry was sick too. Orton was fine as the weasel here, which the match needed since Christian was bringing it. 

The Wyatt and Kane interference held it back from being a super high-end match, but since that wasn't surprising, it didn't hurt as much. Both were pretty egregious and obvious momentum-killing spots, though, so I can't rate it as highly as it should have been in MOTY rankings. My biggest gripe is that there should've been no way for Kane to get into the chamber. The Wyats doing a "lights out" appearance, but going out the door with the lights on was super lame and shits on their gimmick as much as it does the match. Still pretty damn good (and possibly the best Chamber ever), but dwarfed by the 6-man for sure, and probably still behind a couple other matches. You can only do so much with a bad script.

"Bryan doesn't sell merch" 

"Bryan doesn't put asses in the seats at house shows"

I don't buy these arguments either. His merchandise is fucking terrible. NOBODY would wear that shit.

For the record, I just wore the original YES! YES! YES! shirt on Friday. It's a good shirt, but all the flying goat and respect the beard shit is, well, shit.

I'd love to know what this "bad booking" of the main event actually was.

1) Was it John Cena getting taken out by The Wyatt Family? Because that rules. World beater Bray Wyatt took out Daniel Bryan and The Shield and now wants to ensure his dominance by destroying the one man everyone calls a hero.

2) Was it an injured Daniel Bryan coming into the match hurt, entering third, dominating several segments in it, getting a pinfall, kicking out of Randy Orton's finisher, getting a virtual visual fall and only losing because his former best friend-turned-corporate goon cost him the match?  Because that was great, too.

I guess you'd rather have Randy Orton beat Cena and Bryan cleanly? Or am I missing something.

Having Daniel Bryan win on at a set-up PPV is the absolute dumbest thing in the world. That's not how it works.

• Like 3