DVDVR Message Board

Destiny

Big Fresh

The 360 Crew is slowly getting more involved with Heists on GTA5 and I still have to beat Watch Dogs and the Borderlands DLC.   Once i hit Rank 10 in all of my factions, Destiny is going to sit on the shelf for a bit.

Well the crew had pretty much dwindled anyway.  You & Rippa still play regularly, but that's about it.  I would if I weren't an old man and use all my free time to take naps.

The two XBOX freebies for this month are both games I'd love to play, along with the massive backlog of stuff.  I tell myself if no one else is online that I'll start up something new or at least download the Heists update but I just find myself mindlessly patrolling the Cosmodrome at 5 in the morning cause I know i'm gonna need that Glimmer eventually.

Well the crew had pretty much dwindled anyway.  You & Rippa still play regularly, but that's about it.  I would if I weren't an old man and use all my free time to take naps.

I have considered riding shotgun with a raiding troupe so I can check the Crota's End Raid done block, but most of the members of the serious raiding clans are real assholes.

I can see myself dropping this game for a while until House of Wolves comes out.

I liked the maps. Will go back with a fireteam sometime.

I love and hate Asylum and Anomaly because it is not a two flag victory map like Blind Watch, Shores of Time, or Firebase Delphi.  If your team gets a win in Control on Asylum or Anomaly, you helped earn it even if you were the shitty guy on the team.

Asylum is definitely the most even map in the game.

However, I feel like on Anomaly, the objective is clearly to control B and C. There's a very easy backdoor to B by jumping up to the platform above C. You do that, turn left and you're at B. That makes it very easy to flood a contested B with fresh bodies, so long as some goof doesn't mess up the spawns by trying to take A. Plus, the key to holding B is controlling the two adjacent rooms (with a healthy smattering of mines on the zone to catch people sneaking up from below), and it's very easy to patrol between B and C from the room to the right of B.

That said, it is the rare map with a viable second option. A team of 3 guys, or just two really good guys, can run a circuit between A and C and hold those zones more or less by themselves without getting involved in the schmoz at B. However, you still need the other guys to keep decent pressure on B so the enemy can't sit on you at C.

I have considered riding shotgun with a raiding troupe so I can check the Crota's End Raid done block, but most of the members of the serious raiding clans are real assholes.

That's what's stopping me from doing Crota or VOG with randoms from the million requests I get.

As someone who hasn't done either of them yet, I really don't feel like doing it with a bunch of assholes who are just gonna be dicks cause I won't know what they want me to do when they're barking out commands.

Not a great showing in the Iron Banner tonight. The new maps threw me and i had no idea where i was. I was reading up and apparently 6 games (winning half) and 3 bounties a day gets you on level 4 by Sunday. I went 1-5 but hit 3 bounties, i'm a few points down and it wasn't going well so i called it quits there.

Jumped on Crota and we went as far as the Deathsinger. Finally, finally got chest armor! I've now got all the pieces to the puzzle that is a level 32 Warlock. I just need to get it upgraded and convert some energies to shards.

I'll still hit up the Iron Banner, i need a second chest piece for my other Warlock, and its nice to have some variety, but all going well i'll have 2 32s by the end of the week.

• Like 1

I struggled a bit in IB today, but I think that was because I was experimenting with a lot of guns that I don't typically use in PvP. I'm a scout rifle/shotgun guy, but certain maps make a scout rifle pretty useless, so I was trying some different combos. Still, I hit 4 of the bounties and ended the first day solidly into Rank 2. Starting with all 3 of the bonus-adding pieces makes progress fly by.

I picked up Timur's Lash (hand cannon) as a drop last time around, and I like the impact and the handling, but the rate of fire is a little slow for my liking. But it's been a decent option on maps with more corridors and close quarters combat. Really, it's my only other option for a primary since I'm shit with an AR and not much better with a PR.

I actually sent Gheleon's Demise, which was my big prize from the last IB, to the vault for the week because I've found that I like the sights on Another NITC better for PvP action. The moment I made that switch, I went right back to being the Landlord on Shores of Time.

Well the crew had pretty much dwindled anyway. You & Rippa still play regularly, but that's about it. I would if I weren't an old man and use all my free time to take naps.

I can see myself dropping this game for a while until House of Wolves comes out.

Nah you'd be surprised. It's a really rare occurrence in all of the PUGs I've been in where anyone is a dbag. There's a subreddit called destinysherpa specifically for really experienced raiders grouping up with first timers or those with little experience. Lots of people really enjoy taking people through the raid their first time.

I might get into the iron banner tonight with my Warlock. Just to get an alternative chest piece so I can still be 32 when I wear an exotic helmet. The raid chest piece just looks so fucking stupid. Like a dog wearing one of those lampshade collars.

I liked the maps. Will go back with a fireteam sometime.

I love and hate Asylum and Anomaly because it is not a two flag victory map like Blind Watch, Shores of Time, or Firebase Delphi.  If your team gets a win in Control on Asylum or Anomaly, you helped earn it even if you were the shitty guy on the team.

Asylum is definitely the most even map in the game.

However, I feel like on Anomaly, the objective is clearly to control B and C. There's a very easy backdoor to B by jumping up to the platform above C. You do that, turn left and you're at B. That makes it very easy to flood a contested B with fresh bodies, so long as some goof doesn't mess up the spawns by trying to take A. Plus, the key to holding B is controlling the two adjacent rooms (with a healthy smattering of mines on the zone to catch people sneaking up from below), and it's very easy to patrol between B and C from the room to the right of B.

The problem with controlling B and C is that A is right around the corner from B and heavy ammo spawns much closer to A than it does to C in relation to B.

Capping B leaves you out in the open for everything from players sniping and from the hallways and from the other side of the revolving thing to flankers coming up from A and lobbing grenades your way.  

It is one of those rare maps where you have a decent chance of winning while holding only one zone under your control.

Xur - the creepy bastard - is in front of that big unused door on the Speaker's side of the map

He has Hard Light so I was able to check off that box.

I also got Obsidian Mind from the engram so now I have to decide if I want to keep it on my Warlock or not.

Good thing I have exotic shards stored and don't need to re-roll anything because I am about tapped out on strange coins and motes of lights.

Lucky Bastard.  I blew the 23 motes I collected all week and got the Helm of Saint-14 from my exotic engram.  Yay, but I've got one already.

I've gotten three Hard Light auto-rifles over my Destiny career so no thanks, Xur.  

Upgraded my Titan's Phoenix thrust-bike with an Emerald Coil.  I am now annoyed that the upgraded Phoenix now says Upgraded S-32C while my Hunter's Stealth Drive upgraded Sparrow just says S31-V.   This is not sitting well with my OCD.

New Monarchy Rank is up to 9 now.  Got a NM Sniper rifle with crappy perks so I shredded it.  Now repping FWC and probably won't be close to Rank 9 until Reset Day.  Hopefully the Nightfall won't be something stupid like this week's doable but very tedious strike.  I'd like to get that XP Bonus and rocket through FWC Rank 8 like I did with Dead Orbit Rank 8.

Legendary Engrams continue to laugh at me.  Got one for a cloak yesterday when I did the Weekly with randoms and got one for a helmet this morning that turned into shards.

Crucible bounties are pretty shitty today so this could be an early PvP night for me.  I may get in some long overdue thieving and murdering done in GTA Online tonight.

I have checked off one of the Not Playing This Game For A While blocks.  Each of my three characters now owns one of the kick-ass store bought jumpships.  My hunter pilots the EX21 Slipper Misfit (advanced Kestrel), my Warlock pilots the AVF1 Octavian (advanced Phaeton), and my Titan pilots the NS22 High Water (advanced Regulus).  It is the little things that matter to me.

• Like 1

I'm 83 points away from rank 3 in the Iron Banner. Looking at the values of the bounties i could get away with doing the 3 easier to achieve ones (10k points, 20 headshots, 10 hand to hand) over the next 3 days and i'd only need 1 win to hit rank 4.

I've unlocked all the upgrades for my Warlock raid chest piece and i'm tempted to just blow the 10500 on converting energies to shards so i can hit 32. I've still got 2 more characters i can run through some Crota checkpoints with this week so hopefully i can put a dent in it with those before it comes to that.

• Like 1

Good haul tonight.

Hit rank 4 in the Iron Banner, which is as far as i intend to go. Picked up my chest armor, and a Jolder's Hammer just because. Also got a second Gheleon's Demise as a random drop at the end of the last game i played. I re-rolled it 5 times until i got firefly so now all 3 characters have a scout rifle that pops heads (my weapon of choice).

Then hit up a Crota run with my alternate Warlock. Just my luck i got a second raid chest piece, kind of making the Iron Banner pointless but i do like having a change of clothes. Plus its a lot easier to upgrade the Iron Banner piece and i can break one of the raid ones down for much needed shards. The luck continued, in a good way this time, and finally got an exotic from the Deathsinger. I'm now sitting on a brand new Thunderlord.

• Like 2

So Crota's dead.

OK, so we didn't 2 man him (yet). A guy we've played with a few times friends clan was online so they jumped in and helped us finish that ugly son of a bitch off. With one guy on boomer duty and 4 shooting Crota he was dead with 2 swords. Netted myself the shader, emblem and the Song of Ir Yut. My iron Banner armor is now 32 and i just need to hit a button and my raid armor is 32 as well. Once i get the missing chest piece for my Titan i'm sitting pretty until the next DLC hits.

My bad for the triple post! 

• Like 1

Well, I'm officially what I'll refer to as a "Gentleman's 32," having scored the Iron Regalia chest piece I needed yesterday. The downside is that in order to rate as 32, I have to use Obsidian Mind as my exotic, which is probably my least favorite bit of exotic gear because it doesn't really suit my playstyle. Maybe Saladin will sell a helmet next time so I can have some versatility.

SPEAKING of stuff Saladin sells, here's something hilarious that happened to me the other day:

As you might recall, he was selling Gheleon's Demise last time, and that was one of my big prizes. So I bought all 12,000 glimmer's worth of it. Then Friday, I put in about an hour on IB, and Gheleon's Demise randomly dropped as a reward for me, not once but TWICE. In an hour. Cruel gods of RNG.

I was actually happy to get the first one, because it allowed me to play around reforging the perks without losing all my previous rolling. But the second one was just insulting.

Oh, I wasn't disappointed with it at all. I was just interested in experimenting a little bit. Since I'm such a scout rifle enthusiast, it's helpful to have some variety. I think I settled on the perk that keeps the radar active when you're scoped in, which could be beneficial to me on certain maps where I stay scoped in a lot (Shores of Time, mainly).

Although I finally started getting the handling down on Bad Juju this round of Iron Banner, so that's probably going to work its way into the playing rotation. That has really helped me out on Burning Shrine, which has traditionally been my kryptonite.

Yeah seems like a lot of people are really into Red Death and Bad Juju in crucible since the buff.  I'm just now trying to finish maxing out my Red Death.  

Yeah - I see nothing but pulse rifles now especially in Control matches.

I haven't tried Bad Juju yet in the Crucible but I will try Red Death once I get it fully upgraded

Hand Cannons still rule mid-range PvP combat.  I am ripping shop in The Crucible with Last Word, Thorn, and TFWPKY 1969. 

It is getting to the point that I barely use my sniper rifle anymore in the Crucible because combat is much more fast paced than it was when AR users kept gun battles at range. The only time you see campers nowadays is if there is a fireteam that coordinates their movement and sets up killzones (aka two snipers shooting players as they grab the HWA near Flag C on Twilight Gap). 

Otherwise, teams and players are constantly moving and are a lot more aggressive than they used to be thanks to the Weapon Tuning / AR nerf. The teams that stick together and chain orbs are the ones that do well, so Bungie succeeded in getting people to play they way they want them to.

The unfortunate by-product of the Weapon Tuning patch is that shotguns are more popular than ever since exchanges are now closer thanks to Pulse Rifles.

Sniper Rifles still get the job done but players will zerg you or guys like me will counter-snipe you from your blind side if you spend too much time staring down the scope.

Supers are still the unbalancing force when it comes to players fighting as a team.  Sometimes your team is the beneficiary of a well-timed super and sometimes your team is the victim.

I got a Breaker from three GG shots over the weekend in the Crucible when i blew up some guys retreating in a formation that was a little too tight.. I'd have gotten a Slayer, but the fifth player jumped in the air and wasted just enough time for me to miss the window for the rapid kill as I re-adjusted my aim.  He was my 10th kill of the game in a streak so I still got a Relentless off of him.

I also got the Nail In The Coffin when I got two Double Downs with my GG with three minutes to go.  I am beginning to enjoy fighting on the Anomaly map now and Twilight Gap has become the albatross around my neck.

I have seen some people use scout rifles as poor man's mid-range sniper files, but the Weapon Tuning patch didn't do anything to make scout rifles more popular.  They will need yet another buff of some sort before players start using them.

Real life will intrude on gameplay this week but that is okay.  My girlfriend's nephew's fiancee's baby shower is this weekend so I will be in Orlando until Sunday. 

Xur is not worth my relationship, so I will not be breaking my neck to get online on Friday to push my Bad Juju EWB forward.  I am also blase about getting the Nightfall done since I'll only be able to exploit the aura on Sunday night and Monday.

I'm definitely going to sneak the Weekly in on Tuesday morning to pocket those Strange Coins.

Thank you all for complaining about the frequency of the Will of Crota strike in the Vanguard Roc strike playlist. 

I think I heard the words, "Omnigul is the last of Crota's generals..." only once over the weekend.

I played through The Summoning Pits a billion times, though.

And of course that one time was with me

I also infuriated JT because I picked that strike to suddenly go "OH WAIT! I NEED TO PUNCH CURSED THRALL IN THE FACE!!!"

Stupid urn bounty

And of course that one time was with me

I also infuriated JT because I picked that strike to suddenly go "OH WAIT! I NEED TO PUNCH CURSED THRALL IN THE FACE!!!"

Stupid urn bounty

Only Rippa would pick the hardest strike in the game buffed to 26th level to remember that he wants to work on the most suicidal part of any quest bounty in the game.

"Oh, shit.  My shields."

"DO NOT FUCKING DIE ON ME, RIPPA~!"

And to top it all off, he survives four Cursed Thralls melee kills in the Will of Crota strike, we decide to go to and get the last melee kill by playing Sword of Croda on Easy, and he nearly makes me shit myself with fright when he appears to get blown up by multiple Cursed Thrall detonations before getting the last melee kill in.

Yeah seems like a lot of people are really into Red Death and Bad Juju in crucible since the buff.  I'm just now trying to finish maxing out my Red Death.  

Nothing infuriates Red Death and SUROS Regime users more than shooting them in the head with Thorn and counter the healing factor with crits and the DOT. 

I got a couple of PM's over the weekend asking me to drink Liquid Plumber and die over that tactic.