DVDVR Message Board

Smackdown Spoilers for 2/21/14

victor

Looks interesting but not as good as last week

Dark Match: Alexander Rusev beat Zack Ryder

* Daniel Bryan beat Jack Swagger in the opener. Kane and Vickie Guerrero came out and booked Bryan in another match.

* Daniel Bryan beat Cesaro by DQ. Zeb Colter and Swagger were at ringside but got kicked out by the referee. Kane watched from ringside. Bryan took a long Cesaro Swing but came back to hit the running knee. Kane came in and chokeslammed Bryan for the DQ. Cesaro hit the Neutralizer on Bryan.

* The Wyatt Family defeated Rey Mysterio, Cody Rhodes and Goldust. Bray hit a running Sister Abigal on Goldust for the win. This was described as a really good six-man match.

* Emma beat Summer Rae in a dance-off.

* Dolph Ziggler beat Titus O’Neil. Darren Young was on commentary and distracted Titus, allowing Dolph to get the win.

* Jimmy Uso defeated Road Dogg.

* Sheamus beat Christian in the main event.

so if the "last people going over on TV lose at the PPV" thing holds up, then..

Titus beats Darren

NAO retains the titles v. the Usos

Swagger over Big E? (probably not, but)

Batista wins to defy any trend

Wyatts over Shield? or Shield wins, then breaks up later?

Orton retains the title

Problem with that is you're looking at the prospect of 75,000 fans who won't want to see Bryan in that match come Mania. They'll cheer him like crazy then shit on the main event to Biblical proportions. 

• Like 2

Problem with that is you're looking at the prospect of 75,000 fans who won't want to see Bryan in that match come Mania. They'll cheer him like crazy then shit on the main event to Biblical proportions. 

Cos the main event at mania wasn't going to get shat on from day dot. The E fucked up, plain and simple. So they've given the fans the (second [hi punk, hows retirement treating ya?]) best alternative.

Yes, he's in the chamber, all well and good, But he'll probably be screwed out of that by Citizen Kane. Thats a two month+ build to a grudge match with people who have shown to have chemistry together.

Like Matt D says, put em in a gimmick match like a cage or a cell, so Kane cant get away, and you've got a fucking barnstormer of a match. With bryan fillng the anti-authority route left behind by CM "can't do anything about it from my couch in chicago" Punk.

I'm really looking forward to the match at mania. 

Cos the main event at mania wasn't going to get shat on from day dot. The E fucked up, plain and simple. So they've given the fans the (second [hi punk, hows retirement treating ya?]) best alternative.

Yes, he's in the chamber, all well and good, But he'll probably be screwed out of that by Citizen Kane. Thats a two month+ build to a grudge match with people who have shown to have chemistry together.

Like Matt D says, put em in a gimmick match like a cage or a cell, so Kane cant get away, and you've got a fucking barnstormer of a match. With bryan fillng the anti-authority route left behind by CM "can't do anything about it from my couch in chicago" Punk.

But Kane vs Bryan isn't even the second best alternative here if you're building to Mania. Kane isn't the final boss in the scenario they've been playing out since August... Trips is.

The negative reaction to a Randy Orton vs. Batista headline match at WrestleMania XXX will really be something.

• Like 1

I really like how The Shield have a match against Los Matadores/Sin Cara on Main Event while The Wyatts have a match against Dustin/Cody/Rey. That's some good symmetry.

I haven't looked forward to a PPV as much as I have this one in a long time. The last time they had an undercard match that was the point of the PPV was The Rhodes Boys saving their jobs against The Shield. After that... man, I have no idea. Any thoughts?

And is The Wyatts vs. The Shield even bigger than Cody/Dustin saving their jobs after weeks of humiliation at the hands of The Authority and their handpicked mercenaries? The Cody/Dustin story was so well told (Both guys losing their jobs, Big Show forced to punch out one of his heroes to save his family's livelihood, etc.) with an awesome payoff with Dusty dishing out elbows. But I have no idea when the last time there was a heel vs. heel STABLE WAR that was so well done. And the only real booking behind it is "We hate you and we're better."

But Kane vs Bryan isn't even the second best alternative here if you're building to Mania. Kane isn't the final boss in the scenario they've been playing out since August... Trips is.

DANIEL BRYAN IS SCOTT PILGRIM

The negative reaction to a Randy Orton vs. Batista headline match at WrestleMania XXX will really be something.

Maybe they'll give it the spot the World Heavyweight Title match has had the past few years.

Bryan should bring back the Airplane Spin in a match against Cesaro. Then they could take turns swinging each other. The crowd would eat it up, I'm sure.

Was it CJ Parker who airplane-spinned Cesaro on NXT only to have it no sold since Cesaro has a perfect sense of balance?

I get that, I really do. But But Bryan vs. HHH wont happen for a long while, if ever.

This is part of my issue with the authority as a whole. They're not feasibly being booked or ever looking like they're going to get their comeuppance in the future. There's no way for Steph to get her desserts because who's going to do it? and there's no chance (and if you aren't humming the bars by now you're dead to me) that HHH would denigrate himself to being in a match with Bryan. So you get a Austin (Bryan) McMahon (auhority) fight by proxy. And who better than Kane? Bryan's closest ally for a while, someone who Bryan trusted and respected, but someone good enough to give Bryan a trip behind the woodshed? Bryan can do the babyface in peril spots that he does so well. He can do all his flying goat shit and the crowd will lose their shit. 

Now if HHH were to go into a match against Bryan, he'd go for it at Summerslam. A match a year in the making; try and piggyback some of the recent "year in a making" maches. Its a previously known working formula that was tested with others, now HHHe can come in and make it his.

I'm really enjoying this discussion by the way...

• Like 1

From a storytelling perspective, Kane/Bryan makes a lot of sense. There's the whole saga of Team Hell No to play off of and now the Authority angle, but we never really found out what happened to Kane when he was abducted by the Wyatts and Bryan was on his title hunt. A promo or two could clear that up and provide a very good to great match at Mania.

It won't be what the crowd wants, but it would make sense, provide closure, and give the folks a decent match.

After all the effort some of you guys put into writing damn fantasy booking scenarios for Daniel Bryan at this Wrestlemania since SummerSlam 2013, a Kane Vs. Bryan match would be far step below those expectations. Whether it'll be a good or decent match is a different question.

I could see Bryan vs Kane as the main event or featured match on the Wrestlemania go home show and maybe have a pull apart between HHH and Bryan to end things. Or not even a pull apart, but have the roster rush out to keep Bryan and HHH separated.

Also, Bryan vs HHH needs juice. We need the old HHH to juice like a stuck pig again.