DVDVR Message Board

The NXT Thread

rzombie1988

Enjoyable show, but the TD/JJ tag team match was pretty rough, and the angle slam being repurposed for Jason Jordan, instead of them using a tag team finisher, just didn't work for me.

Why did the graphic call Gabriel/Neville a No DQ match? Have they not changed that part of the graphic since the Brodus match?

Bayley/Charlotte was good, i love Bayley's entrance, and I'm glad they didn't have the champ lose because of Summer's return, she just had to work a bit harder.

Oh and wow, TJ, what a flat promo to end the show. 

I love how easy this show is to watch

My wife, who does not like wrestling, enjoyed Tyler Breeze and made me realize he was essentially doing a Zoolander gimmick in some ways.

She also thought Bo Dallas was funny when they showed him on the video package. Him giving out cookies to the NXT crowd is what sold her. 

I'm glad I'm not the only one who saw the Zoolander in Breeze's gimmick.

MOJO RAWLEY vs. AIDEN ENGLISH was a decent affair. I loved Regal stating that Aiden had a "lithe, beautiful" body. So wonderful. This was a structured match without any wasted moments -- Rawler started off strong with his physicality, Aiden took control with a strong out-of-nowhere clothesline, he held advantage until a chinlock, Mojo rallies for the win. I know everyone hates Mojo but the basics are there. He can look competent in a normal match structure. Aiden English, though, is really good. He gets it -- he has an awesome entrance, knows mannerisms, and is in the right place at the right time.

BAYLEY comes out to take on our new champ CHARLOTTE who comes out with SASHA BANKS. This match is a BLAST. I love Bayley doing her slip-and-slide thing -- absolutely perfect for her character. And I love Charlotte's mocking version, too. Man, when the hell did Charlotte get this damn good? Because she is REALLY good. Bayley's terrific, as usual. The ending in this is screwy but it sets up a fun BFFs reunion. That eventual match is going to be so much fun.

BIG BREAK! I was going to write something about that tag match but whatever. It was what it is.

BUT CAN WE TALK ABOUT THE TYLER BREEZE MUSIC VIDEO? PLEASE? OH MY GOD!!!! THIS IS SO GREAT!!!

I don't need to watch anymore of this episode or even talk about it.

Bye.

Tonight we learned that Tyler Breeze is a jack of all trades and if you asked him the master of them all.

KmjUV98.gif

It's a shame they just didn't do a more upbeat version of the Louie theme.

Tyler...Tyler...Tyyyyyyyyyler.....Tyler Tyler....Tyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyler.

Bayley vs. Charlotte was a fun match. Bayley got even more WACKY INFLATABLE FLAILING ARM MAN'S in her entrance. Bayley had some great offense in the match. But is Summer Ray supposed to be Angelina Love to Sasha and Charlotte's Velvet and Madison Rayne from a few years ago? Look at me I'm a big star now. I smell a Flair/Sting situation only its going to get Charlotte and Sasha over as huge faces when they beat the hell out of Summer.

Adrian Neville seems to get exponentially less interesting every week. He hasn't had a good interesting match on NXT since the ladder match with Bo. I think the biggest problem with him may be that Zayn is substantially better than him in every way, if their roles were reversed and Zayn had the belt and Neville was feuding with Breeze or Graves on the undercard I probably wouldn't feel this way.

Neville's rematch with Bo was good and he got quite a bit out of Brodus in their second match. He's not really getting a lot to work with, though. He's been getting the full onslaught of WWE rejects. I'd like to see him getting more interaction with Breeze to get a real feud going.

My wife, who does not like wrestling, enjoyed Tyler Breeze and made me realize he was essentially doing a Zoolander gimmick in some ways.

She also thought Bo Dallas was funny when they showed him on the video package. Him giving out cookies to the NXT crowd is what sold her. 

I'm glad I'm not the only one who saw the Zoolander in Breeze's gimmick.

Oh no, he's doing a straight-up Zoolander gimmick, he even uses the same voice in promos.

Yeah, Tyler was Zoolander from the start.

You can see glimpses of Dillinger and Jordan doing great things, but they aren't nearly ready.

It's funny that you've seen Neville against Kidd and Gabriel back to back, because they're supposedly all very similar, yet Neville is so much crisper and much more exciting.

Fuck Tyler Breeze's new entrance music. You don't mess with a good thing. That being said, that music video was pretty fantastic.

I really enjoyed Bayley/Charlotte too. And loved the look of joy and awe on Bayley's face as she realized Paige and Emma had her back. Nxt Summer is so much more interesting than Raw Summer. So, good to have her back.

• Like 1

Do they not get that the "Tyler Breeze has entered the building thing" makes no sense? It was about Elvis LEAVING the building so that people would disperse properly and not all mob to wait for him to leave.

I love that English called Mojo out because frankly, I kind of felt like he failed America too.

• Like 1

Review of NXT from 6/5/14

Mojo/Aiden English: Nothing worth speaking about. I see Mojo has new neon clothes. But if they want folks to take him serious, he needs to get a new finisher other than the Earthquake Splash.

Nice touch with the Special Olympics segment with NXT. I wonder if I can go down there and take a tour at the Performance Center. Does anyone know if that is possible?

Charlotte/Bayley: Bayley's entrance just makes you happy. She gave dap to the blow up creature. That made my day man. Bayley is cool forreal. But please WWE, don't water NXT down with those run-ins that have people's music playing. Summer couldn't have waited until after the match to come out? Her music played, she didn't even do anything other than "distract" Charlotte. Don't do that WWE.

Jason Jordan/Tye Dillinger promo: Awkward. Not sure what were were supposed to get from that.

I hope WWE uses these two as a new age Haas/Benjamin. Jason Jordan impresses me more and more every time I see him. Random note, it is always funny when enhancement talent is used on the developmental level. I like it, again, this is what makes me love this show so much. Reminds me of WCW B-shows. Damn Jordan was 225 and wrestled at 285 when at Indiana. I like their music too, reminds me of Summer Rae's old NXT theme. Seems like they just remixed it to be honest. Jason uses an Angle Slam and calls it the Jordan Slam. Creative (yea right).

Jason Jordan: This is impressive man. I could see dude being pushed to the big show. He seems like "Vince's type." I might call it now, he will be the biggest star currently from NXT within the next 4 years. Putting my bid in.

I like what they are doing with CJ Parker NOT wrestling and staying in the crowd with his anti-GMO signs or whatever the hell he is propogating. Whatever it is, I like it. Build on that character CJ!

Happy that Tyler Breeze is getting so much love from folks. However, I just can't see this character doing much on te main roster unless they keep him away from the comedy stuff. If they let him do his thing outside of the comedy realm, I think it can work to a degree. But we will see if that will happen. This camera phone usage is a nice touch. Adrian "The Man that Maybelline Forgot" Neville. Hahaha. Uggos. Music video was on point, this is how you develop a character. They seem to be behind this dude, for now. hahahahah @ the credits of the video.

Neville/Justin Gabriel: When I saw this match was coming up I got a lil hyped. Maybe Neville is looking at what he will become in the future. Who knows?  Adrian Neville's theme music reminds me a little bit of the fake Ultimate Warrior dude's boss theme from Streets of Rage 2. Funny Neville doing a basic sommersault dive off of the apron was anything other than basic coming from him. He just has a way of making flying moves look special. The smallest moves and most basic moves look special when done by him. I like the new look from Gabriel rocking the wide reciever gloves.

Nice mirror match here, Gabriel played the heel more than I have seen him play in recent years. I wish Neville would have finished him off with the imploding 450 just to mess with Gabriel. I kinda thought he was going to since he bounced up to the top rope like RVD but he ended up facing him and doing the Red Arrow. Red Arrow never gets old watching man.

Good show this week, ride that momentum from Takeover fellas. Good stuff!

The highlight of the week for me, as it is most weeks is William Regal on commentary.

Especially for "Go away Hippie! Go away you dirty, smelly, sweaty swine!"

James

Do they not get that the "Tyler Breeze has entered the building thing" makes no sense? It was about Elvis LEAVING the building so that people would disperse properly and not all mob to wait for him to leave.

Another thing that Shawn Michaels used to do early in his heel work.   For a heel the main purpose of it is to keep telling people that Breeze is a pompous ass.  I have never seen a babyface do that move

Another thing that Shawn Michaels used to do early in his heel work.   For a heel the main purpose of it is to keep telling people that Breeze is a pompous ass.  I have never seen a babyface do that move

I saw a lot of 92 a few years ago and I'm pretty sure they ran the "left the building" line with Shawn, not the entry bit.

Adrian Neville seems to get exponentially less interesting every week. He hasn't had a good interesting match on NXT since the ladder match with Bo. I think the biggest problem with him may be that Zayn is substantially better than him in every way, if their roles were reversed and Zayn had the belt and Neville was feuding with Breeze or Graves on the undercard I probably wouldn't feel this way.

Neville's rematch with Bo was good and he got quite a bit out of Brodus in their second match. He's not really getting a lot to work with, though. He's been getting the full onslaught of WWE rejects. I'd like to see him getting more interaction with Breeze to get a real feud going.

I'm in line with the original assertion. Outside of the Brodus series Neville has been the lesser worker in every match I've seen from him. He's physically gifted, but he lacks timing, understanding where to insert his moves, can't really pull off the sympathetic babyface, is an atrocious promo, and from what I've seen can't call a match whatsoever.

Not sure if throwing some jobbers to the card is the best option after a PPV that everyone was talking, but fine. Mojo was squashed by Rusev so they gave him a win back. New tag team should be fun. Summer Rae back can lead to an interesting angle, let's see. The whole Tyler video thing was awesome, and I love it when wrestling does something like that (The Freebirds, Jimmy Jacobs and Lacey). Main event was fine but I'm not sure if it was a title match. It wouldn't make sense, but they announced it before as a no DQ for the title. Can anyone confirm that? After a battle for the #1 contender spot, some jobber from WWE getting that spot would be a move from TNA Impact catalogue.

The tag match was okay. JJ and Dillinger have potential. Obviously they're not quite there yet but pretty good.

The main event was a lot of fun but I thought the end was off. I didn't like Neville's set-up of the corner dropkick thing to the Red Arrow, which took up a bit to set up. One stomp or something when Neville was putting Gabriel in place would have made it fine.

They have some time to kill before they get to Breeze/Neville, which I'm guessing they'll blow-off at the next live show. Having Tyson Kidd in the picture kills a lot of of that time. Breeze and Kidd will have their beef over this, Kidd will get his rematch against Neville and Breeze will cost him the match or what have you, maybe Sami gets involved, etc.

I'm fine with low-end WWE guys going to down to NXT to prove themselves. It makes sense in terms of WWE hierarchy. Neville beating Kidd and Gabriel gives him credibility over the Main Event/Superstars-level guys right off the bat. I also think it makes sense for that Kidd/Gabriel level guys to go for the NXT title. They need a restart to their career and winning the NXT Title/doing well in NXT will lead to big things down the line, kayfabe wise. Cesaro's stock elevated (in kayfabe terms) by him dropping down to NXT and beating Sami Zayn in a bunch of incredible matches.

It also makes sense of backstage stuff, most likely. Gabriel and Kidd don't work TV matches on the regular. I'm sure they do some opening level house card type things. Going down to NXT and having them wrestle a main event style match gives them experience wrestling in a big match setting while also puts over the guy they see some potential in down the line. Win win.

I also assume a lot of WWE guys don't mind since don't a lot of them live in Florida? I was thinking the actual reason Cesaro came down to NXT because he lives in Florida and doesn't he date Sara? That gives him some time to hang out with his lady and not have to travel while also getting to have some MOTY type things that opened up a lot of eyes. I'm also guessing maybe he's buddies with Sami from their indie days and gave his buddy a solid by making him look like a world beater.

Still on board with JJ Dillinger Escape Plan two matches in. 

Was...was that a Stan Bush song for that Bo Dallas video package? 

Also, I loathe to hate anything Regal does, but he needs to make up a few more move consequences outside of 'it makes it very difficult to breathe.' You could play a drinking game around him saying that yesterday.

I think we've all run the Mojo Rawley 'needs a new finish' band wagon off a cliff and it exploded and now has the mumps.  Mojo works best with bumpers like Aiden and they had a decent showing.  Mojo's push is so weird.  He wins a bunch but there are weird spots mixed in there like getting pown'd by Russev and getting eliminated from the battle royal by Jason Jordan. 

Summer Rae comes back and I missed her NXT high school mean girl character.  Like even the way she hugs Boss Sash is thought out and adds something to the performance.

J.J. Dillon earned what I think one could call the World Wide point.  Guljar (which I will never learn to spell) showed some good apron expressions while his partner got chopped to death.  Ty showed some good instincts in that sequence as well responding to the 'One More Time' chants with a mini tease and pay off.  It takes like 10 seconds but makes the match more interactive and entertaining.  Jordan dropping GoalJar on his head with backdrop is less than smooth but they covered up okay.

Adrian Neville as the defender of the NXT realm is pretty awesome in my view.  I really like that he's being put up against WWE main roster guys and knocking them off.  I don't share the views expressed up thread about how he's not on the same level of Sami.  He's doing something different.  Sami is trying to put on good shows and while he talks about winning, he wrestles like he wants to make moments.   Adrian is just trying to win and has to pull off flashy stuff in order to do so.  If he could just kick you in the mouth, he would.  But he can't.

If Gabriel could make his interesting life style actually interesting in ring he could make some waves.  But the guy makes parachuting dull.

Justin Gabriel was pretty awesome as the smarmy prick in The Nexus. I loved when he douched up his hair and would smirk and glare before hitting the 450. He was pretty good with taking cheap shots, too. He has some fun spots in his offense but he really doesn't click as a face for me.

The inversion works even better, though - Breeze WANTS the adoration of a mob and thinks that announcing his arrival will cause one.

Also, Aiden English's gimmick would be better if he could remain on key.

I think Aiden being off-key is why it works. Heels are often delusional. He's a stage singer who can't hold a key. He's a poet who rhymed "see" with "see" a couple weeks ago. He's appropriately terrible at everything that he prides himself upon. 

• Like 1

Still on board with JJ Dillinger Escape Plan two matches in.

I haven't seen them yet, but I instantly love a team that's referred to here as the JJ Dillinger Escape Plan. Any tie in to DEP is points in my book.
  • Like 1