DVDVR Message Board

The NXT Thread

rzombie1988

The biggest lesson of NXT, which they'll never get is this: when they present something as important, it's seen as important. They were making a huge deal out of Nattie vs Charlotte and it felt important. Kidd had to jump through a ton of hoops to get the shot and it felt important. Even Zayn vs Breeze felt more important since it was for the title shot. There are character stories involved in all of these things, but there are also plot/presentation issues too. 

They've done a relatively decent job with the IC title on that lately, first with the tournament and then the beat the clock, but it's the thing I think tv writers just never get.

The biggest lesson of NXT, which they'll never get is this: when they present something as important, it's seen as important. They were making a huge deal out of Nattie vs Charlotte and it felt important. Kidd had to jump through a ton of hoops to get the shot and it felt important. Even Zayn vs Breeze felt more important since it was for the title shot. There are character stories involved in all of these things, but there are also plot/presentation issues too. 

They've done a relatively decent job with the IC title on that lately, first with the tournament and then the beat the clock, but it's the thing I think tv writers just never get.

And when the announcing team treats every match and wrestler as important it gets those things over also.

• Like 3

The NXT format makes wrestlers seem more important. Wrestlers don't wrestle every week and sometimes aren't even mentioned. Feuds are given time to develop and breath.

Compare that with current WWE programming where a chunk of the roster wrestles two televised matches a week and wrestlers face off with each other multiple times before the big ppv match.

• Like 2

Anyone know what the Arabic on Sami Zayn trunks translates to?

It's his surname in arabic.

Here's a question: is this a gimmick or is he actually a muslim because I can't think of many workplace environments beyond professional wrestling that would be less conducive to following islam

Anyone know what the Arabic on Sami Zayn trunks translates to?

It's his surname in arabic.

Here's a question: is this a gimmick or is he actually a muslim because I can't think of many workplace environments beyond professional wrestling that would be less conducive to following islam

From the other bits on his trunks I take it as more a badge of the places hes been/wrestled

I don't know how I feel about Tyson getting repackaged as a masked wrestler..I'd much rather see him with a more serious gimmick..Maybe cut a promo saying he's "not a Kidd anymore" and start using his real name..Make him a heel who's tired of being the "nice guy"..Maybe have him show up one night on Raw or SD and crown himself the new Cruiserweight champion..Have him "defend" the title against jobbers until a main roster guy get's tired of his s**t and challenge him..Have the general manager make the winner of the bout the new legit champion..Something like that would be better than just putting him a mask and letting his career suffer more than it already is..

I saw this from another forum. THoughts?

Love the second note Meltzer posted:

--The reason Mojo Rawley was used in last night's angle with Alexander Rusev has to do with an angle that will be furthered at tonight's NXT tapings.

--As the story goes, Payback will be a good show because they can't let the developmental show outshine the PPV show.  

Very frustrated that WWE ignored my pitch to start using post credits bump scenes to further angles:

Camacho is climbing a stormy mountain range to an old temple guarded by two hooded dudes with scimitars. He enters the building and steps into the throne room. A cloaked mystery figure stands to the right of the throne, though whomever is seated on it is hidden in shadows. 

Mystery Figure: After your years of training in Mexican barrios, the boy returns to us a man. Have you completed your task?

Camacho: I have not. Adam Rose still lives.

Mystery Figure: Perhaps I misjudged you. I thought you fit to join my Family. 

Camacho: I can beat him, please! Give me another chance! Forgive me!

Mystery Figure: The Brain does not forgive. 

The SHADOWY FIGURE rises from his throne, revealing his identity!

Mystery Figure: And neither does HAKU

• Like 1

Funny I always thought the Arabic was just an outline of the Generico mask. Yea I am dumb. But anyone peep how they have JoJo running around in the Party Group with Leon Rose?

The big "SZ" on the front of his current tights always looks like a subtle reference to his previous mask.

Even an average worker (and I don't think average is a negative thing, especially when you're average at the highest level of your profession) can go out there and steal the show when thy're allowed to do their jobs correctly. Nattie is perfectly capable when she's given the chance to really run, whereas she, like most of the roster, look terrible in shitty little 3 minute affairs with no logic or storylines. 

I saw some cool moments in their match I've never seen before. The slaps in the figure four off were so fucking good, tons of emotion, hate, and frustration.

yeah Nattie didn't just suddenly get good. She's had decent to good matches with plenty of women for years now. Just check old Superstars stuff with a pre-crazy Alicia Fox, Kaitlyn, or Layla. When given time, Natalya, like most of the divas, comes off far better than people expect.

Random thing from Twitter last night that was great: They were giving different NXT guys the NXT twitter handle during the show Alexa Bliss during the women's match, Dillinger and Jordan for the tag, etc. they gave it to Breeze for the main.

He posted 2 selfies, said it didn't matter who won, and left.

Oh man, that was a great show. What strikes me is that compared to other developmental territories WWE has had, it seems that people actually enjoy wrestling in that environment. 

But yeah, top to bottom an awesome show. Loved the Zayn match, women's match had great emotion (though the rolling figure-four counter was a bit absurd) and the main event was perfectly acceptable video game wrestling. 

Opener wasn't good. Rose still doesn't have the presence people think he does. He's got a good entrance and that's about it, really. He's not much in the ring.

Tag match was okay. The Ascension still needs more time, and I think another NXT tag tournament would be fun to see because it can help make them have some competition. Too many squash matches without a true good matchup.

VIVA RUSEV.

Breeze/Zayn was fine, but Zayn can tone it down a bit and be a lot better off for it. No need for that Orange Crush stuff. Breeze was great, though. Happy to see him get a shot. Zayn with an edge will be fun.

Women's match was fantastic. They made things mean something. Never felt like they were throwing out spots just because. Happy to see Charlotte come through on her potential.

Title match was fine as well, but Tyson Kidd just doesn't do anything for me. Doesn't really have something that makes me want to feel something for him one way or the other. 

I liked it. Still needs to have the indy stuff toned down a bit but otherwise, I like what they're doing. Reminds me a lot of the Clash of Champions shows that I'm going through right now.

I haven't seen a ton of Rose matches but I feel he needs to have the fallowing style to his matches....goofy to start off (like the butt wiggle during the holds exchange, jumping into Camachos arms) then at some point he gets 'Forrest Griffined'* and turns into a ''machine'

*for those not familiar, plus if might just be a term me and my friends use. Forrest Griffin always seamed to be an average fighter tell he got blooded then it seemed like once he saw his own blood he got an extra gear or something.