DVDVR Message Board

The NXT Thread

rzombie1988

Yeah, so the opening matwork in Charlotte vs Natalya was the Nattie show, down to the point where you could very visibly see her calling the spots. That said, she did a very good job with it, going from one thing to the next, and snapping between calling things and grinning when in charge and playing to the crowd, and going into spots and then back into holds. It wasn't a masterpiece, but it was very competent and engaging especially considering that she was working against someone who has only been doing this for about two years and never on a stage like this. 

Have we all seen the Dr. Tom vs Super Super Green Rookie He's Training match? it reminded me a little of that. 

Also, Charlotte's knee, knee, spinning chop thing is great. 

In regards to the Ole Chant:

In Tampa at a Smackdown Taping Sami and Neville worked a dark match. There were OLE chants. Now, Tampa is close to Orlando, but the Ole's came from the indys. I think it will follow him.

Bo's got a better chance than Rose ever had.  His gimmick plays better on the bigger stage than Rose's, which ended up pretty much DOA.  Emma is salvagable if they get her the hell away from Santino and drop the She-Cobra.

Course, I thought the Wyatt's were gonna bomb hard, so Bo could be doomed.

Breeze is gonna end up HBK 2.0, lock it up.

Man, Ricardo probably felt less than happy last night. I don't envy him the job of 'keep up with Kalisto.' Talk about not being set up for success.

Also, it doesn't seem like NXT has figured out that Ascension are fucking MEGA FACES. They should have been YAHYAHYAHing the shit out of the Legionnaires last night.

I didn't think Lucha was going over, but I DID think it would be 'Local gets his ass kicked around and Kalisto gets a show stealing hot tag and then they lose.' 

In regards to the Ole Chant:

In Tampa at a Smackdown Taping Sami and Neville worked a dark match. There were OLE chants. Now, Tampa is close to Orlando, but the Ole's came from the indys. I think it will follow him.

Now the tricky thing. Does WWE ever explain the history of the Ole Chants. Wishful thinking, but I would like Zayn to use the Generico gimmick the same way Mutoh uses Muta and Liger uses Kishin Liger. Almost like his more ruthless alter ego. I know, wishful thinking. But the Ole chant alone will help him get over. But soon we will hear Vince say, "Ole won't sell tickets."

Bo's got a better chance than Rose ever had.  His gimmick plays better on the bigger stage than Rose's, which ended up pretty much DOA.  Emma is salvagable if they get her the hell away from Santino and drop the She-Cobra.

Course, I thought the Wyatt's were gonna bomb hard, so Bo could be doomed.

Man I had high hopes for Emma. Really sad to see her get disrespected every week. 

Man, Ricardo probably felt less than happy last night. I don't envy him the job of 'keep up with Kalisto.' Talk about not being set up for success.

Also, it doesn't seem like NXT has figured out that Ascension are fucking MEGA FACES. They should have been YAHYAHYAHing the shit out of the Legionnaires last night.

I didn't think Lucha was going over, but I DID think it would be 'Local gets his ass kicked around and Kalisto gets a show stealing hot tag and then they lose.' 

Yea man Kalitso got little to no offense. They should have gave him a few more spots. Especially when he kicked Viktor from off of the ring apron and rolled back into the ring. I thought he was going to fly.

And his mask is nice to me. Like a physical mashup of Dragon Kidd and Rey Jr. 

I won't repeat what everyone said, but three things from the show stayed with me.

Rose getting out of the bus and stopping in front of the fans, one of which realized, "I can get a selfie with Rose!" Rose sees him and leans in, dude Marks out with his buddy. AWESOME!

Cole when doing his sit down with Nattie and Tyson: "We all watch WWE Divas..." Just laughed.

Nattie and Tyson had a great interaction that you see married people have when they are fighting but they are NOT fighting in front of their friends. We've all been there as married people. I thought that was the first time I've see Tyson emote like that and was bummed at the rumours of him going under a hood.

• Like 1

I love that Sami/Breeze were all "Follow that!" and Charlotte/Nattie were all "CHALLENGE ACCEPTED." Seriously, that was damned good. I lost my shit for Charlotte's moonsault.

Trips is really good at burning the candle on both ends, playing WWE uber-heel and shiny happy NXT babyface all at once.

The Ascension have fun meathead charisma. They should do fine up north.

The whole show really flew by. It's astounding how much better their TV flows when they focus on the in-ring stuff and boil down the angles to video packages and the like. If this is how Trips wants to run their TV in the post-Vince era, I'm all for it.

Hunter also lets his announcers call pxp and use names of holds and moves.

They never mentioned it.  But I thought it was a nice little touch that Lil' Naich reffed Charlotte's first title win.  I assume him and Flair are still pretty good friends, right?

Also, can that Nattie/Charlotte match finally drop the BS "Nattie's not a good worker" talking point?

You can tell with Sami's new music that they're trying to get it chantworthy.

After trying to bury the Ole' chants, they are clearly embracing it.  Still not sure about Zayn's new music, I was really liking his old entrance tune.  If they want to stick it to the Punker, they ought to throw some money out there to The Bouncing Souls for their version of "Ole''"

Also, can that Nattie/Charlotte match finally drop the BS "Nattie's not a good worker" talking point?

Never understood this but I am sure those dudes that always had negative things to say about her will make an excuse as to why she performed well.

Ok yeah, that whole Sharpshooter/Figure Four exchange was a bit of a mess. Charlotte's intensity came off as selling (and she could have still been selling the sharpshooter, but no one in the history of wrestling has ever really done it that way so that makes it tricky). Then it kind of hit a high point with Charlotte dodging the slaps all cocky-like, and then kept on rolling around, and the announcer thought Nattie had reversed it and they rolled out and Nattie was holding on to the ropes for no reason, really, and it was all kind of odd. Good effort though. 

My absolute favorite bit was Bret trying to figure out what to do with the "This is Awesome" chants.

Also, Charlotte's new theme is great and it's hilarious to me how for some reason, the Sharpshooter is the hardest move in wrestling for people to figure out when it's such an easy thing to do.

Never understood this but I am sure those dudes that always had negative things to say about her will make an excuse as to why she performed well.

It's because Nattie is rarely given an opportunity to look great but given many opportunities to look lousy in short matches with minimal structure against below average workers.

This often leads to her hooking her finisher out of nowhere with no build.

She also throws a lot of lousy looking clotheslines.

That being said, she clearly tries hard and looked great last night.

Nattie's stock has gone up a lot in my eyes recently. She's had decent matches during her NXT run. Maybe it's because she has more time to work on matches in NXT but the divide in talent between NXT and WWE Divas is so stark. But I think, for the most part, she's been pretty bad in the ring for most of her career.

That match, though, really had no right being as excellent as it was. It wasn't a perfect match -- the Figure Four rollover spots did get weird -- but even with that, it was really damn good. I think Paige vs. Emma was better. Paige vs. Tamina on NXT was also really, really good and stiff and nasty.

Even an average worker (and I don't think average is a negative thing, especially when you're average at the highest level of your profession) can go out there and steal the show when thy're allowed to do their jobs correctly. Nattie is perfectly capable when she's given the chance to really run, whereas she, like most of the roster, look terrible in shitty little 3 minute affairs with no logic or storylines. 

I saw some cool moments in their match I've never seen before. The slaps in the figure four off were so fucking good, tons of emotion, hate, and frustration. 

• Like 1

-I'm kind of curious how they'll explain the ole chants if they make it to the main roster (and they probably will). 

He's French-Canadian, and people do the ole chant at Habs games.  That's, um, something to start from, I guess.

Nattie and Charlotte had the match of the night for me. Going in I didn't think Nattie was going to win, but It had such a great story and both sold their asses off which put me on the edge of my seat. Also, Bret and Flair being at ringside made it even better too. Why can't they have this much faith in the main roster Divas division?

Ultimately I had a lot of fun with this card. I wouldn't mind if they did these live NXT special events more often, so hopefully they'll do more.

• Like 2