DVDVR Message Board

The NXT Thread

rzombie1988

Eddie Edwards and Davey Richards Update

We reported yesterday that WWE will not be offering contracts to Eddie Edwards and Davey Richards due to their size. While that is likely still true, The Wrestling Observer is now reporting that a blown spot during their latest NXT match might have added to that decision. 

During their NXT tryout match against The Ascension, there was a spot where Viktor picked Richards up awkwardly, resulting in Richards landing on his head. It's being said that they did the move differently when they working the match out before the tapings. 

After the spot, Triple H gave them orders (via the referee) to finish the match, but they didn't right away. The Observer is claiming this could have also played a part in why Richards and Edwards were not offered contracts. 

From Wrestlzone, quoting WON:

Screen-Shot-2013-12-19-at-12.27.50-PM-65

I can totally see that. At the time, my biggest problem with the match was around the blown spot. It wasn't that they blew it. That happens. It's that it looked downright horrific and they just sort of went on with the match afterwards instead of selling what just happened, which was probably the most brutal looking head drop I had seen on WWE TV all year. 

Wait so a Davey Richards match has a nutty bump or power move and then he continued to work another 5 - 10 minutes like nothing happened

This is my shocked face  :mellow:

• Like 1

WWE officials are very high on NXT superstar Mojo Rawley. Rawley is someone WWE feels could possibly carry the company in the future and it's expected he'll be pushed very strong when he's brought up to the main roster.

Source: F4WOnline.com

Mojo could be good, but he needs a lot of work. He's a big dude but nothing he does looks hurty.

WWE officials are very high on NXT superstar Mojo Rawley. Rawley is someone WWE feels could possibly carry the company in the future and it's expected he'll be pushed very strong when he's brought up to the main roster.

Mojo could be good, but he needs a lot of work. He's a big dude but nothing he does looks hurty.

That finish of his is S.A.W.F.T.

• Like 1

lol. He's one of the few guys I don't think much of in NXt, so of course they think that.

This isn't a lol WWE thing ask anyone down in NXT. People have been saying the same things about Mojo before he debuted on NXT.

That finish of his is S.A.W.F.T.

Good God yes!  "Hey, we got a big former football player with lots of energy, what should his finisher be: a spear? The Pounce?* Something that shows off his strength or athleticism?  Nah, let's just have him run and sit on people."

Emma-Nattie was lots of fun.

Cass-English was great.

Alexander Russev needs to pick a direction and go with it, I think.  Is he a Bulgarian brute, like a caveman with his lack of boots and rustic tights?  Fine, then stop perming your hair and trimming your beard.  Is he a big athletic type?  Fine, lose the garbage bag tights.  Also, he's really impressive, but every one of his matches feels the same.  He needs to vary his offence up a bit.

* His finisher TOTALLY should be The Pounce

I agree that Mojo Rawley's got a lot of potential. He can cut some very good promos, from wacky to deadly serious. But he does need to have a new finisher; the Pounce would be perfect. Give him a simple but effective powermove as well, and that'd already be a massive improvement. I've always thought Rikio's Muso slam would be a good finisher: nothing flashy at all, but simple to execute and it looks like it's got a lot of impact.

He does need to do something about his hair/facial hair, though. He looks... goofy.

Eddie Edwards and Davey Richards Update

We reported yesterday that WWE will not be offering contracts to Eddie Edwards and Davey Richards due to their size. While that is likely still true, The Wrestling Observer is now reporting that a blown spot during their latest NXT match might have added to that decision. 

During their NXT tryout match against The Ascension, there was a spot where Viktor picked Richards up awkwardly, resulting in Richards landing on his head. It's being said that they did the move differently when they working the match out before the tapings. 

After the spot, Triple H gave them orders (via the referee) to finish the match, but they didn't right away. The Observer is claiming this could have also played a part in why Richards and Edwards were not offered contracts. 

From Wrestlzone, quoting WON:

Screen-Shot-2013-12-19-at-12.27.50-PM-65

I can totally see that. At the time, my biggest problem with the match was around the blown spot. It wasn't that they blew it. That happens. It's that it looked downright horrific and they just sort of went on with the match afterwards instead of selling what just happened, which was probably the most brutal looking head drop I had seen on WWE TV all year. 

Wasn't the botched move an attempted reversal of a backdrop or (backdrop suplex by Ascension)?  He was supposed to land on his feet but landed on his head instead.  

I think what works with him right now is the tacit understanding between NXT and the NXT audience that some guys are unfinished projects that are only going to get better by doing.

WWE is viewing Mojo as a puppy with big paws with potential upside. But ultimately, he still has to develop by whatever the Talent Office's timetable is or else.

Just caught NXT 202 while stuck inside during freezing rain.  Rusev definitely needs better gear.  If they want to go in the kickboxer direction with him, just give him Muay Thai Boxing trunks.  I didn't think the Emma/Natty match was as bad as everyone was putting it.  I liked Big Cass/English segment.  I haven't seen much of Cass, he's like if you threw Edge and Test in a blender.  I have loved the segments with him and Enzo I've seen on youtube.  Do the fans throw roses at English or is that the production guys doing that when he leaves the ring?  I thought Leo/Sammi was good, surprised at the 2-0 finish.  I'm guessing since they're repackaging Leo that's the reason.

I like Rusev's gear. The only thing I find awkward about it is when you can see his black tights. The difference in colour between the tights and his skirt (or whatever it is) makes it seem like panties underneath a dress.

Thought about this the other day - how good would it be to have Goldust down for one of the tapings? I'd definitely take him over someone like Kofi, I could see Goldust vs Rusev being a lot of fun. Even The Rhodes vs The Ascension.

Mojo's really raw but he has a very visible charisma and high energy. He was also very well-spoken in his piece about breast cancer. He also does goofy well, too. I see him as a really young Varsity Club-era Rick Steiner, only without the amateur wrestling pedigree.

Rawley definitely seems like a Cena 2.0 in the making. Or a modern version of surfer Sting. Hell, it's not like the Stinger Splash ever looked all that hurty, Ross just always put over how athletic the leap was.

Rawley definitely seems like a Cena 2.0 in the making. Or a modern version of surfer Sting. Hell, it's not like the Stinger Splash ever looked all that hurty, Ross just always put over how athletic the leap was.

Yeah, but it looked good and was a believable finisher: a guy jumping onto you in the corner with all his weight.  But Rawley's deal looks like crap because he can't obviously jump and land with all his weight on his flying ass-splash, so he has to brace the landing with his legs on the way down, so it looks more like a guy in a real rush to sit down on the couch and/or toilet, then a big move that puts away an opponent.

I like Rawley.  I'm a bit biased because he did do lots of amazing stuff while at University of Maryland ( I do live in Baltimore after all)  But past that there's definitely that special something to him.  This finisher sucks, but I have a feeling that when called up that will change.  He's going to be a great ambassador for WWE, and with time he'll be be pretty damn good overall.  Hell, I'd rather he get called up over guys like Bo anyway.

After YouTubing the Splash for a bit, I concede it generally had more impact than my memory allowed. I think I was tainted by the latter-day splashes where Sting would reach out and grab the top rope two feet out and sloooowly pull himself into the corner.

That said, Rawley's still a big ol' athletic hoss with a catchphrase made for t-shirts sold at Spencer Gifts. He'll do something.

• Like 2