DVDVR Message Board

The NXT Thread

rzombie1988

Do they not get that the "Tyler Breeze has entered the building thing" makes no sense? It was about Elvis LEAVING the building so that people would disperse properly and not all mob to wait for him to leave.

The inversion works even better, though - Breeze WANTS the adoration of a mob and thinks that announcing his arrival will cause one.

Also, Aiden English's gimmick would be better if he could remain on key.

I think Aiden being off-key is why it works. Heels are often delusional. He's a stage singer who can't hold a key. He's a poet who rhymed "see" with "see" a couple weeks ago. He's appropriately terrible at everything that he prides himself upon. 

• Like 1

Still on board with JJ Dillinger Escape Plan two matches in.

I haven't seen them yet, but I instantly love a team that's referred to here as the JJ Dillinger Escape Plan. Any tie in to DEP is points in my book.
  • Like 1

This show was alright, but Bo Dallas was comedy gold tonight, especially when he finally made his triumphant escape from security outside the building...only to run in a circle right the hell back to where the guards were still standing, waiting for him.

Went to the NXT tapings tonight. Nothing much happened except for numerous Sami Zayn matches and more of Tyson's heel turn. They taped a real good Sami vs Tyson Kidd match in week 3 that is right up there with the best NXT matches this year.

Oh and this happened:

Bp-fHRNCUAApfGs.jpg

That main event was REALLY good. Tyson Kidd's Journey has become a really good story arc, and I can't believe I just typed that because I really don't like him or Nattie all that much. But this is quality stuff right here.

Tyson's back story in this is so easy to relate to. He's struggled with injuries and has seen his wife's career take off via Total Divas, as well as the times she's had some in-ring success. He's trying to come back but has been totally categorized -- by the champ -- as nothing more than Nattie's husband. This really ties into gender roles and the like so well. There have been a few times when I've been unemployed while my wife has to carry the financial load and it's the absolute worst feeling in the world. But if you factor in that Tyson and Nattie are in the same line of work, and she's more successful than he is at it... I can see why he's frustrated.

And that plays into this match so, so, so well. Tyson thinks he has this match won on so many different occasions, including the ref counting to three on a pin but realizing Neville got his foot on the ropes in time and correcting the decision. Tyson does a really good job trying to retain his cool throughout this but loses it when Neville kicks out of a Blockbuster. He goes to grab a chair but Nattie -- who was fantastic at ringside -- grabs it from him, which leads to Neville kicking Tyson out cold and into the Red Arrow.

Great storytelling in-ring that reflects what Tyson's going through outside the ropes while also advancing that story, too.

Bo getting chased by the cops was probably the best thing he's ever done. Where did the lines "He touched my bum" and "I'll call the real police" come from? Those were so out of left field for his character but really added to the absurdity of the whole situation. Also Renee's comment "He's terrifying those women."

Renee and Alex actually had some good banter throughout the show, but this Rich Brennan guy is awful. There's gotta be a better 2nd-stringer for Tom Phillips out there somewhere.

Neville's Red Arrow with the rebound pin was the highlight of the in-ring action.

Went to the NXT tapings tonight. Nothing much happened except for numerous Sami Zayn matches and more of Tyson's heel turn. They taped a real good Sami vs Tyson Kidd match in week 3 that is right up there with the best NXT matches this year.

Oh and this happened:

Bp-fHRNCUAApfGs.jpg

I...man I can't tell who either of those people are! I've stared at this longer than most Magic Eyes. ;(

Thoughts from tonight:

-WHY ARE YOU TAKING A COMMERCIAL BREAK IN THE MIDDLE OF A MATCH ON THE NETWORK???

-The Vaudevillains are fantastic.

-Mojo Rawley is not even remotely good.

-The return of Enzo is gonna be sweet.

-Breeze and Kalisto had a good little match. Very much a heel Shawn Michaels template wrestled with smarts as opposed to athleticism. 

-Get Tyson Kidd some new music, please.

-Not much more The Ascension can do. Guess they're just biding their time before a call-up at some point?

Overall, a decent show.

How much time was given other than 1 minute segments? And I don't think it's dumb, feels perfectly normal to me and Nattie is playing the role really well. You can argue that Tyson isn't a good actor and doesn't have convincing facial expressions but the storyline presented feels logical, strong, and it's entertaining. Or I'm just a complete NXT mark, which no doubt about it, I am.

- Alexa Bliss rocks my world

- Sasha really grew on me, the whole storyline with the BFFs is fun. Whatever, Charlotte doesn't feel like she's in the spotlight anymore, and having Summer Rae by her side doesn't help because she's great in her mannerisms and just gets that role.

- I love how the NXT crowd is smart and fun, but in a cool way. Not in that post-WM crowd "we are awesome let's cheer heels so edgy!" self masturbatory attitude, but just fun and puts over the action and talent instead of themselves. 

- Entrances are a big thing in wrestling and that 20s team which reminds of Art of Manliness is super fun. I was thinking how each NXT guy has a very distinctive entrance and how important that is, I couldn't help but compare it to TNA where everyone wants to be unique and different but just has the same generic thing going on. The people that run from that norm, like The Beautiful People, are the ones over. I don't know about this, I could be seeing reality through mark-glasses.

- Speaking of TNA again, NXT is built around wrestling matches. Everyone gets over because of wrestling and doing his thing, I feel like TNA wants to get people over by over booking, over feuding, over talking, everything instead of wrestling. In NXT the talking and storyline segments feel refreshing and fun, in TNA they are a drag.

- In that line, the Kalisto-Breeze match is a nice example of what I want to say. Tyler worked the headlock until the crowd was tired, but at least it didn't feel like it was an automatic thing just for them to start cheering. It had meaning, let's put this guy in a freaking headlock since it's a wrestling maneuver.So when Kalisto hit his spots the crowd cared and it felt important. I feel like the same match on TNA would've been Kalisto throwing those moves in the first 3 seconds, without letting the crowd process anything, and after some bullshit interference or something it would be over in 2 minutes. Not trying to tell how wrestling "should" be, I understand there's a lot of things different. But NXT just works for me and feels like the perfect example of a great, great show. I mean I don't remember being this excited since I started watching wrestling 10 years ago. (I know, I know, it isn't that long but I was already 15 so my youth lacked man drama and high flying spots.)

- Did I mention I love NXT?

SASHA comes out and I love the obvious chemistry issues amongst the BFFs shown by their walk to ringside. Show, don't tell. She's taking on ALEXA BLISS in her second match. This is eh -- Bliss obviously is inexperienced and while Sasha's really, really good, she's not good enough to carry someone so green quite yet. I mean, it's not bad by any means. It's just not crisp and polished. I do love Sasha's surfboard and how she applied it -- a slap to the ribs made Bliss reach back to defend herself, letting Sasha grab her arm. The story of this match, though, is the demise of the BFFs. Summer and Charlotte get into it at ringside and that leads to Sasha losing via a pretty sloppy roll-up. The three of them then bicker outside. Summer at one point says "Get a new weave" to Sasha. Nice.

This Vaudevillians introductory video is terrific. So, so, so good. Yes -- everyone will crap on that if they get called up. Everyone will be wrong.

The Nattie/Tyson stuff isn't terrible by any means. In fact, it's the most sophisticated the WWE has ever written a married couple. Their motivations are clear: Nattie wants her husband, whose career is struggling, to succeed but not by cheating. She costs him his title shot because he was losing his mind to the darkside. And then, to make it up to him, she sways JBL into having him tag with Sami. Tyson, though, doesn't like his wife intruding in his career decisions to this degree. And he does have a point.  I could get down with NXT having a version of Tami and Eric Taylor from Friday Night Lights -- a couple that has their issues, sure, but only want what's best for each other and find a way to work things out.

MOJO is against GARRET DYLAN tonight, making his debut. This is exactly what every Mojo match has been to date. Dude has to have a match against someone who can steer him through something past "You start strong/the heel will cheat a bit to get advantage/you come back." The guy has great energy and charisma and athleticism. But he really needs to start expanding his game a bit. HOWEVER, I did think of a great way to turn Mojo heel. Imagine is he was the world's biggest BO-LIEVER! He would be pretty perfect for that role.

Regal's hatred of hippies is so, so, so, so the best.

Okay, so THE VAUDEVILLIANS entrance was absolutely amazing. This is so, so, so, so good. I love their style and double teams and the like already. Gotch was someone on the indies who was pretty good, correct? This is going to be so much fun to see what the heck these guys are going to do.

And then my good vibes get sated a bit because RVD is coming for a match against Neville. Aw, man. I have to deal with RVD?

KALISTO is going up against TYLER BREEZE. This I'm curious to see. I don't think we've seen Tyler in action since his fantastic match against Sami at Takeover? This starts off SO slow and smart. Tyler works headlock spots for so long. Kalisto finally gets some space and explodes with some WTF??? stuff. I legitimately haven't bugged my eyes out for anything like that weird headstand thing he did since Rey showed up in ECW and WCW all those years ago. The slow start really makes those spots pop -- like using flourescent colors on an all-black canvas. Breeze's facial expression on the floor is great. "What the f did I get myself into?" And then when he returns to the ring, he turns up the viciousness and seriousness by a factor of 10. And once he regains control, he goes right back to a head/chinlock. I love how Tyler makes his covers in this match -- they're actually vicious and with a purpose. Kalisto has a flourish after ANOTHER front-facelock segment. But Breeze hits a shock BEAUTY SHOT after Kalisto springboards from the middle rope to get the win. Breeze really came out of this match looking like a smart wrestler with a great "out of nowhere" move. And from a critical perspective, this match was also smartly put together. Kalisto had some really insane, fast spots but they were all between cut-offs. That made the spots look better and built excitement for each flurry. Really good stuff.

THE ASCENSION take on SAMI ZAYN and TYSON KIDD. Sami gets worked over, Kidd bails, match is over. Not a bad way to set up a beef between those two.

The Sasha/Alexa match was very sloppy, and I don't think that's entirely on Alexa. Mostly, but not all.

Regal is the best thing ever. Between going all Clarkson on CJ Parker and his mad torrent about the circus that Gotch grew up in, there is literally nothing that isn't made better by him on commentary.

Except Mojo Rawley.

The Vaudevillains are amazing and I want more.

Kalisto and Breeze was a fantastic match, and they worked very well together.

Sami and Tyson is interesting. Anything involving the Ascension is not.