DVDVR Message Board

The NXT Thread

rzombie1988

I will need to watch that Divas match again as I feel it was clunky at most points and very video game-ish in the MOVEZ~! department. The workrate is there, but nothing really meant anything.

I think you have to use a sliding scale a bit. It was far from perfect and had some clunkiness and video game stuff. But it's also Natalya, who has been better but is usually pretty bad, and Charlotte, who hasn't done anything nearly as good as this before. They brought intensity and fire and had some fun family rivalry stuff with the submissions. That match is pretty much a miracle match between a not-very-good veteran and someone who is still pretty green that they also tied into a long-running family rivalry.

I actually thought they kept the "video game stuff" to a minimum. Most of the match was them struggling against one another to apply holds and gain control. 

I also disagree that "nothing really meant anything." The opening submissions/holds struggle was about these two trying to live up to the "technical wrestler" status that their seconds on the outside are legendary for. When you're struggling for holds like that, tempers will flare, and you saw that with the slaps and chops back and forth. They would get heated after struggling on the mat against one another and pick up the pace as they got madder, but they ended up settling it with a submission struggle -----> Bow Down to the Queen, which felt like the right finish. It only makes sense that either Charlotte or Nattie would eventually out-wrestle the other on the mat long enough to snag a win.

• Like 2

The more I think about it, the more I love Tyler Breeze getting a push for the NXT title.

He's likely the next big thing coming from NXT. He's shown he can work as a comedy guy since his debut. But he's really stepped up his in-ring game recently and is showing a ton of potential. He's got a great look, a fantastic gimmick, and is starting to really put together good matches where he's a solid wrestler but masterful cheap shot artist capable of stealing wins with his Beauty Shot finisher.

Sami doesn't need the title to get over, obviously. He's absolutely terrific in all aspects of professional wrestling. But I love him on NXT and never want him to leave. He's the centerpiece of the show and has been since his debut. I'd much rather see him in that role than him getting 10 minutes total a week on Raw/Smackdown.

• Like 1

Pretty solid show overall. Nothing too too great in the match department, although a big step up from what we usually see on this show and the right people went over.

Rose/Camacho was totally forgettable. I'm giving it 6 weeks until Rose is solidly on the ME/Superstars circuit.

Ascencion/Lucha was ok. Ascencion is always better with guys they can sell for a bit since their offense really isn't good enough to be doing a squash gimmick. You can tell Connor is especially limited when his big pop spot is a series of routine kicks in the corner. Ricardo looked a bit off here, but I'm liking what I see from Kalisto. They should have him and Victor go one on one for the hell of it.

Breeze/Zayn was a fine movez based match. Good looking stuff from both guys except that botch trying to set up the Orange Crush. Zayn's really on another level from anybody else sans Neville on this show. Breeze to his credit did his best to keep up. He's not athletic enough to do the kind of stuff Zayn does, but he did bump and time his offense well. The chickenshit finish was really perfect. Not sure this really made Breeze any kind of star (I still think his ceiling is post WWE title Miz at this point), but he'll be good fodder for Neville.

Charlotte's new theme with the Space Odyssey samples is HORRIBLE, like every ounce hate unjustly directed at Cesaro's new theme should be aimed straight at that garbage. The match was pretty good though. Execution wasn't always the best, but they did make it look like a real struggle and knew it would come down to who made the first flukey mistake. Also a bit surprised by the face celebration from Charlotte, but if the BFFs break up, Sasha pretty much has to be the heel.

The main event was by far the biggest disappointment. Tyson Kidd is straight out of the pre-Bad Influence Chris Daniels/Kaz mold of ridiculously athletic guys that try to work a fast pace and still somehow manage to be boring beyond belief. Thus the match that was 90% Tyson Kidd offense was not very fun. Neville only got a couple spots to shine, but at least he kept the belt and can move on to a moderately inspiring challenger after being saddled with Brodus and Kidd. It'll be nice to have two actual NXT guys fighting for the belt again instead of throwing in a WWE reject.

I was looking forward to Charlotte/Natalya and it definitely exceeded all expectations here. Absolutely awesome match and one of my favorites of the year so far. Loved the submission counters especially the Sharpshooter countered into the figure four.. great stuff. Very memorable match that even surpassed the great Paige/Emma match from the last show in my opinion. Thought Charlotte looked like a total star here. Surprised by the post-match respect showing but thought it was cool after such a great match.

Adam Rose was fun as usual. Glad Tyler Breeze won. Liked the main event and thought it had a good build going in. Curious to see if they are finally going to do anything further with Kidd, this match reminded me how good he can be in the ring. Overall a real good show with Charlotte/Natalya being the showstealer match of the night for me.

The show was really good tonight. NXT is basically everything the relaunch of ECW could have been had the WWE had the means to have it taped seperately in a smaller venue. It's hard to believe the NXT that was on SyFy evolved into this which is easily the best hour of wrestling each week.

Here's what I don't get. They clearly have The Exotic Express tour bus. Why don't they drive it into the building every night. They have the horn honking with those lights flashing and it would be a way better entrance then everyone just standing on the stage. I like Rose's gimmick. But people are right. It works so much better in this small setting then on the big shows

Sami vs. Tyler was a really good match. I wasn't expecting it to be good and aside from the slip where they had to redo that power bomb towards the end it really was fun. Tyler has such a Shawn Michaels 1992 vibe. Instead of the giant mirror he's got the facetime camera on his Iphone.

Haters gonna hate, but I like Mojo. I was getting a Hacksaw Jim Duggan vibe from him tonight. Matter of fact they should just build him as his nephew or something. USA STAYS HYPE.

Charlotte vs. Nattie was way better then I thought it would be. I liked the Michael Cole interview they played before the show where they teased that Tyson is forever in her shaddow. I thought based on that Nattie would win the title. They really did bring it all tonight. It was good to see Ric Flair not look like hell (well as much as he has in the last year). Bret on the other hand looked like he didn't give two shits about being there. The figure four spot was easily my favorite part of the match. I also loved Charlotte putting Nattie in the Sharpshooter right in Bret's face. Overall it was a great match and Charlotte winning was a great moment. It should be fun to see her go back from the mututal respect to Queen Bee with Sasha.

Tyson vs. Nevelle was a really good match. It's really a shame there isnt a WWE Television title or something because Tyson Kidd would be perfect in that role. I guess Tyson being jealous of Nattie is going to be a plot device on Total Divas season 3.

So, it's like this.

Disco Inferno, when interviewed in 98/99 about his moveset and how it was pretty rudimentary, maybe on one of those WCW call in shows, said that he loved watching Japanese tapes and what the lucha guys did in WCW, but when he tried to do it himself earlier in his career, it all looked so terrible and out of place. El Local is basically that. I picture Disco Inferno in a mask trying to do this crap. And it kind of cracks me up. Likewise, given his body type, I kind of picture myself trying to roll around the ring and springboard off the ropes and come up way short. 

Forget Daniel Bryan or Sami Zayn, Ricardo is the real everyman. 

• Like 1

So, it's like this.

Disco Inferno, when interviewed in 98/99 about his moveset and how it was pretty rudimentary, maybe on one of those WCW call in shows, said that he loved watching Japanese tapes and what the lucha guys did in WCW, but when he tried to do it himself earlier in his career, it all looked so terrible and out of place. El Local is basically that. I picture Disco Inferno in a mask trying to do this crap. And it kind of cracks me up. Likewise, given his body type, I kind of picture myself trying to roll around the ring and springboard off the ropes and come up way short. 

La Cucaracha?

I'd need a rewatch to decide exactly how good it was, but Charlotte/Nattie was a very fun and fresh match.

I was upset when I heard Tyler was losing his old music, but I like the new one and fully expect the old one to be recycled. Great coming out party for him tonight, if you pardon the expression.

I find it hilarious that one of the common complaints/statements with Neville's matches is that it was hard to compete after such a great divas match whether it was Paige vs Emma 2 months ago to Natalya vs Charlotte yesterday. 

Think about this.   When have you EVER EVER heard that kind of statement in the WWE?   I can't even fathom someone saying "it is hard for Cena  to be as hot as the Divas title match before"

I love that Sami/Breeze were all "Follow that!" and Charlotte/Nattie were all "CHALLENGE ACCEPTED." Seriously, that was damned good. I lost my shit for Charlotte's moonsault.

Trips is really good at burning the candle on both ends, playing WWE uber-heel and shiny happy NXT babyface all at once.

The Ascension have fun meathead charisma. They should do fine up north.

The whole show really flew by. It's astounding how much better their TV flows when they focus on the in-ring stuff and boil down the angles to video packages and the like. If this is how Trips wants to run their TV in the post-Vince era, I'm all for it.

The show was a really great time. No long promos. Nobody doing comedy. Just a group of talented wrestlers going all out in an intimate environment. It wasn't perfect, but it doesn't have to be.

To me, NXT is the future, not just because of the wrestlers but also because of the presentation. In a perfect world, a wrestler with minimal buildup can go out in front of a crowd of 15,000 and wow them with his/her ringwork and get over. But in today's environment that is almost impossible to do.

However, you put those same two guys in front of a crowd of 1,000 diehard wrestling fans who want have a good time, and you have another way to get those guys over which still plays well on tv.

Thoughts on Sami vs Breeze:

-Yes, the Breeze music is fun.

-I'm kind of curious how they'll explain the ole chants if they make it to the main roster (and they probably will). 

-The early neckwork/control segment was fun and the fans made the transition work with the chanting along to the counter attempt/toss. I like how he went back to the neck now and again later on, especially with the big DDT. 

-That metal ramp has to be kind of scary on some of the dives. There was no reason for Breeze to take that back of the head bump onto it. None. Yes, it led into the finish but he could have taken that onto the mat and it still would have worked.

-Breeze doing a stylized cover after the Superkick really got it over as a near fall. The ref halt/roll up near fall was really good too.

-Sami's double clutch flippy whatever was pretty ridiculous, and I think the first bit was a botch. If it was, though, they recovered really well. It still didn't look so great in the end and maybe something less obtuse would have been better. I thought they had hammered out a lot of those old indy impulses, frankly. 

-I liked the finish being Breeze slumping and the accidental foul. They should have maybe built in the concussive damage being a thing for Breeze throughout the match more. If he's going to take those stupid bumps onto the ramp, at least talk it up. They did it a bit during the replays, but even then played up the accidental nature of the foul more than the consciousness losing slip. 

Sami doesn't need the title to get over, obviously. He's absolutely terrific in all aspects of professional wrestling. But I love him on NXT and never want him to leave. He's the centerpiece of the show and has been since his debut. I'd much rather see him in that role than him getting 10 minutes total a week on Raw/Smackdown.

I love you in small comedy clubs. I hope you never get a CD or TV deal or any measure of success.

That's basically what you just said about Sami Zayn and his job.

• Like 8

Who is that make-up artist and why isn't she on TV every week? 

The whole post-game show was good but that was the highlight for me.

Great show. I seriously had a HIGH last night from this show. I was in such a good mood. Other than the ROH/New Japan show, I don't know the last time an entire show made me feel that way. Maybe Starrcade 96. And I am not exaggerating. This was wrestling and it made me proud to see a wrestling card that featured WRESTLING.

There has to be talk amongst the big wigs about how this night will overshadow Payback. I know a few of you will say, "But it isn't the same audience." While that might be true, the talent on the main roster know they have to bring it Sunday. These young dudes and girls made me proud tonight.

And HHH really seemed proud after the show.

Question: Is the main roster a joke most of the time because of Vince? I hear HHH is more old school with more of the focus being on in ring action, but why isn't that reflected on the main roster? Does he not have the green light to make things happen like that?

• Like 1

I love you in small comedy clubs. I hope you never get a CD or TV deal or any measure of success.

That's basically what you just said about Sami Zayn and his job.

Yea I struggle with feeling this way. Selfish way of thinking. I want those dudes to be able to make a living for themselves. They won't do that on a d-league contract. But I also want to see them wrestle. A lot. And they probably won't get that chance anywhere other than NXT. But it is selfish.

I'm wondering what the  mentality with the callups have been.  Bo is probably gonna make it, Paige has a rocket strapped to her and will be fine once they round out her Main Roster character, but Emma and Rose are doomed to fail.  Its interesting because you have Zayn and Breeze pretty much ready for Prime Time but are still hanging around NXT.

And yeah. I'll second that the overall quality of NXT has been blowing most of the Main Roster shit away.

• Like 1

Yeah, so the opening matwork in Charlotte vs Natalya was the Nattie show, down to the point where you could very visibly see her calling the spots. That said, she did a very good job with it, going from one thing to the next, and snapping between calling things and grinning when in charge and playing to the crowd, and going into spots and then back into holds. It wasn't a masterpiece, but it was very competent and engaging especially considering that she was working against someone who has only been doing this for about two years and never on a stage like this. 

Have we all seen the Dr. Tom vs Super Super Green Rookie He's Training match? it reminded me a little of that. 

Also, Charlotte's knee, knee, spinning chop thing is great. 

In regards to the Ole Chant:

In Tampa at a Smackdown Taping Sami and Neville worked a dark match. There were OLE chants. Now, Tampa is close to Orlando, but the Ole's came from the indys. I think it will follow him.