DVDVR Message Board

The NXT Thread

rzombie1988

Paige has to vacate the title, there's no way I can see them having the WWE champ drop her NXT title to someone in a match, unless that someone is someone also on the WWE roster and they use that to start a feud between them.

Rollins and Big E both continued to work NXT after debuting on the main roster, at least long enough to drop the NXT Title.  I could see some kind of Paige/Sasha/Charlotte/Emma-or-Bayley four-way match where Charlotte steals a win.

I just don't think it looks good for the holder of main roster's women's title to go and drop her NXT title on a NXT show. 

It would be fine if AJ made an appearance distracting Paige, leading her to lose the title to someone.

There are still two "big" indie guys that haven't been introduced yet (Callihan and Samuray) and some interesting guys like Ryan Drago with a decent bit of experience that should be ready for television (not to mention rumors/rumblings of Drake Younger, Roderick Strong, and Prince Devitt). No reason to fill those spots with guys that are just waiting for their contracts to expire. That's what Superstars is for.

They have a bunch of guys signed that rarely make TV.

Also, it's pretty clear that they want the belt on Charlotte, I think.

Charlotte could really use that mask from WrestleMania permanently, so I can focus on something other than how much she looks like her Dad.

There are still two "big" indie guys that haven't been introduced yet (Callihan and Samuray) and some interesting guys like Ryan Drago with a decent bit of experience that should be ready for television (not to mention rumors/rumblings of Drake Younger, Roderick Strong, and Prince Devitt). No reason to fill those spots with guys that are just waiting for their contracts to expire. That's what Superstars is for.

Yeah, there are plenty of guys working the NXT house shows who can fill the spots. People like Aiden English were only NXT jobbers until they found a gimmick for him, so there are plenty of people who can step up to fill the gap. JBL did an interview where he calmed Danny Burch had cut one of the best promos he'd heard in years, Jason Jordan has been getting rave reviews for his recent work, plus guys like the aforementioned Crowe, Kalisto and a returning Oliver Grey will all make for good TV

The Solomon Crowe gimmick on paper should be gigantic. But did you all see those leaked NXT promos they did? Dude was AWFUL at the character. A guy with a hacker gimmick who can take over a show via iPad and has A Clockwork Orange look should absolutely have a "Next Bray Wyatt" vibe. The template of the character is that great.

Paige has to vacate the title, there's no way I can see them having the WWE champ drop her NXT title to someone in a match, unless that someone is someone also on the WWE roster and they use that to start a feud between them.

Rollins and Big E both continued to work NXT after debuting on the main roster, at least long enough to drop the NXT Title.  I could see some kind of Paige/Sasha/Charlotte/Emma-or-Bayley four-way match where Charlotte steals a win.

I just don't think it looks good for the holder of main roster's women's title to go and drop her NXT title on a NXT show. 

She can drop it in a 4-way and not take the pin, would be fine. Meltz seems to think she will vacate leading to a tournament though.

Having caught up with NXT during the hype week before Wrestlemania, I love it and all the wrestlers in it. Well, except for Mojo, he really just does nothing for me yet.

But I just wonder where Zayn, arguably the most talented guy there, fits in the main roster? As I'm sure others have said the bearded, hipster-attired, never-surrender underdog gimmick is adequately represented right now. Is he the show-stopping movez high-flyer? Surely that'll be Neville? I think the new approach of waiting for the right moment and the right gimmick to be called up is the right one, but I just can't see where he fits in a world with no brand splits and separate divisions.

Also, I love how well represented the UK is on the overall WWE roster. I just wish Paige's odd semi-Americanised accent wasn't so jarring. She seems to be taking after Layla in that respect. 

It's hilarious to me how many people say "I love everyone on NXT...except Mojo."

He's actively the only part of NXT i don't enjoy and he seems to be the only one guaranteed to make air every week. I don't know if I hate his ringwork, the gimmick, or both I just cannot stand him.

I feel the same way. I understand he's green, give him time to find a niche etc. but there's nothing there right now. I think Greggulator's relentless optimism in reading through this thread is fantastic most of the time but when it comes to Mojo Rawley it seems misguided. Give me anyone else.

And with how good NXT is, what is the opportunity cost of putting this guy on TV for 10 minutes every week? That's precious time for an hour-long show. 

Mojo is green as grass and all but I would ask that people recognize the areas that he needs to most improve are offense and match structure.  Offense is like the easiest thing to fix especially for Mojo since he doesn't have to be that fancy.  He just needs to run through people and use a ton more shoulder tackles and clotheslines rather than butt bumps.  Add in things that get over his kinetic nature and he's good to go there.  Match structure (specifically that he gets beat on the whole match and comes back with 2 moves) will improve when he gets in the ring with guys with more experience who can call a better match for him.  As the face working from underneath, he should be letting more experienced people call the match up but he's had most of his matches with guys with similar experience levels and CJ Parker.  I thought his match with Bo was his best effort and that makes sense when you think about it.

Mojo has some of the harder pieces already in place actually.  The guy can talk and illicit real emotion as evidenced by his story about his neighbor with cancer.  He's likable which is really difficult to pull off as a jock face.  He can bump around pretty good for a larger guy.  He is a ways away but he has blocks to build on.

• Like 1

I don't mind Mojo so much as I mind his cheering section. Reminds me of when TNA first debuted at the Impact Zone and there was a gaggle of goons who cheered exclusively for Jeff Hardy.

Possibly unpopular NXT opinion: I cannot stand Emma's gimmick. She's a great worker, I don't she needs to be a comedy act to get over, particularly when the comedy is cringeworthy.

She was better in NXT because the out-of-the-ring goofiness was tempered by a high ratio of in-ring time where she's just a damn good wrestler, who peppers in some light-heartedness. Going to the main roster where the matches are shorter, meaning her comedy spots take up a bigger portion, and where she's in these intolerable segments with Santino, has upset the balance.

• Like 1

Also, I love how well represented the UK is on the overall WWE roster. I just wish Paige's odd semi-Americanised accent wasn't so jarring. She seems to be taking after Layla in that respect. 

The difference is that Layla was in the USA for years so that's probably why she went mid-Atlantic. Paige either made a conscious decision a few years ago or else was brought up to talk that way, because she sounds more or less like she did when she was in the UK.

There are, I believe, almost 100 guys & gals in developmental. Obviously the quality would drop, but HHH could more or less replace the entire active NXT roster next week if he needed to.

I hope Danny Burch gets a push on NXT. I do wonder how much legs the Ray WInstone gimmick has; he can't call people a cunt. He can maybe just be a really dirty heel and 'use the wing as a weapon' in the trad Brit stylee, but one can't help feel his best hope on making the main show is as a minor player in the long-touted Team Britain.

The difference is that Layla was in the USA for years so that's probably why she went mid-Atlantic. Paige either made a conscious decision a few years ago or else was brought up to talk that way, because she sounds more or less like she did when she was in the UK.

Paige is just a girl who watched too much US TV as a child/teenager. She has always talked that way from what I've seen.

Paige is just a girl who watched too much US TV as a child/teenager. She has always talked that way from what I've seen.

Possibly, but the Knight family have been preparing her since day....lots of kids in the UK watch too much US TV.

I don't mind Mojo so much as I mind his cheering section. Reminds me of when TNA first debuted at the Impact Zone and there was a gaggle of goons who cheered exclusively for Jeff Hardy.

Possibly unpopular NXT opinion: I cannot stand Emma's gimmick. She's a great worker, I don't she needs to be a comedy act to get over, particularly when the comedy is cringeworthy.

Well keeping in mind that they taped a couple weeks worth of programs at one time, how much of that section goes to multiple shows and how many of them are going to be there every taping.  They are also his actual friends and family so you get why they'd only really be excited for him if they aren't fans of the show in general.  

I've been court ordered never to write anything about Emma (or Bayley) again.  Or compare wrestlers to comic book characters...

Hey, Mojo had his best career match this week. Finally did the right match structure for his gimmick.

Nothing else was particularly exciting. I'm starting to feel like there are too many WWE rejects on the show with Brodus, Khali, and Gabriel. I like it when someone like Sheamus shows up and gives the show a real rub once in a while, but those aforementioned losers make everything look worse when they go toe to toe with NXT's top names. Superstars and Main Event is where those guys should be, if they have to be on tv at all.

Other than that, um... Bayley's cool and Adam Rose isn't using a clothesline as a finisher anymore, so that's good.