DVDVR Message Board

The NXT Thread

rzombie1988

Character-wise, Paige is akin to Benoit. There's nothing to her beyond going out to the ring and being the best in between the ropes. She doesn't care about alliances, friendships, backstage positioning, doesn't do a thing as far as getting that character over. You either like her because you enjoy good wrestling, or you don't like her because you want a "fully-fleshed character".

Except those things aren't mutually exclusive, you know? I like good wrestling, but I also like good character work, and I would say that not having good character work makes it harder to be a good in ring wrestler. Not impossible, obviously, but harder. It seems as though there are divas that are at least in the same ball park as her in ring, but also have a very clear idea of who they are at all times. I don't really know what I'm arguing for or against, to be honest. I think that Paige is a great wrestler and brings an intensity that I like. I just don't see how anything she does makes her a face. I do like the Benoit comparison from earlier, because Benoit never appealed to me as much as he did to others. That being said, I think that when he was a face, maybe due to his size, he was a little better at garnering sympathy than Paige is currently. 

Regarding Bill's comment on Rusev/Rawley...

I can see Rusev on the main Roster with a Samoa Joe type ass kicker character, I can't see this horrible iteration of Mojo Rawley being anywhere near the main roster.

I just finished watching the Sami/Graves match and I'm still not seeing what you guys are talking about....

The Paige babyface stuff is really weird, because every time she is on, I think she comes across as heelish and unlikable, but then I think I'm just being subconsciously gender biased. Like, if a dude cut similar promos, would I think he was a no nonsense hard ass and think the promos were a really good representation of how he wrestles and the character he portrays? Do I not think that way about Paige because I think it seems forced and not organic, or is it because some part of me thinks that women shouldn't act like that? I really hope it's not the latter, and I don't think it is, but jeez, all of her promos and mannerisms just scream arrogance and conceit to me. I don't understand what aspect of her character I'm supposed to get behind, other than "rasslin is srs biz", which I think she does well, but it's not really a character.

It sounds like she has the perfect character for her to do a heel turn by flipping out when someone she doesn't respect beats her for title and beats her again in a rematch. Or, if there are no plans to turn her, she needs to lose at some point to someone who epitomizes everything she is against as the "anti-diva".

Regarding Bill's comment on Rusev/Rawley...

I can see Rusev on the main Roster with a Samoa Joe type ass kicker character, 

Maybe I'm missing something with Rusev, but the three or so times I've seen him I thought he looked horrid. Sloppy execution, timid sounding kicks, lumbering around the ring, and no sense of timing whatsoever.

Rusev's been inconsistent with his timing and strikes, but when he's on he looks great. I thought he looked fantastic in his Rumble appearance. He's definitely had a couple of thoroughly shitty squashes in NXT, though.

Rusev's been inconsistent with his timing and strikes, but when he's on he looks great. I thought he looked fantastic in his Rumble appearance. He's definitely had a couple of thoroughly shitty squashes in NXT, though.

I would totally agree.  I can't really explain it but I liked him better with Sylvester and Scott Dawson than with Lana.  Not that I don't like Lana, I just don't think she really clicks with Russev the same way the Legion did.  He just seemed more fun with the French dude covered in oil and the Redneck and I'm not sure why.  Contrast?

So it looks like NXT will be losing

Russev, Adam Rose, Bo Dallas, and Paige

on a semi-regular basis after Raw tonight. Should be interesting to see who steps up and takes those spots.

The pessimistic side of me thinks they won't debut more guys, we will just get like fifteen more minutes of Mojo every week.

There should be WWE promotion and relegation.

Next week on NXT, JTG, Zack Ryder and Rosa.

That's something they should definitely be doing. There's no reason guys, and gals, should be sitting at home doing nothing when at the very least they could be in NXT trying to hone their craft or help put other people over.

I'm wondering about the women's division now that both Paige and Emma are on the main roster.  I can only assume Paige drops the NXT Women's Title to Charlotte at the first opportunity...then Charlotte/Sasha feud with Bayley.  Gotta get some of the newer faces on TV because there's not much women's division beyond that.

There should be WWE promotion and relegation.

Next week on NXT, JTG, Zack Ryder and Rosa.

That's something they should definitely be doing. There's no reason guys, and gals, should be sitting at home doing nothing when at the very least they could be in NXT trying to hone their craft or help put other people over.

That's exactly what they should not be doing and exactly what I was afraid of they would be doing once NXT was put on the network.

NXT is in my estimation the best weekly show the WWE puts out and the only can't miss show besides Raw. Putting those guys on there would make it another missable 3rd rate show, that noone wants to see.

Put them on Superstars or Main Event or anywhere else, but not on NXT.

They are guys who need development though, otherwise they would be wrestling on the main roster. They obviously need to work on their stuff according to the WWE, and that's why NXT exists, to develop younger talent into future stars. Repackage them or whatever, but them sitting around not doing anything makes no sense whatsoever.

Also, I haven't thought NXT has been that great since the Network launch. Arrival was great, and Dallas/Neville was pretty good and Zayn/Graves was decent. Otherwise it's been a series of squashes, which is not the wrestling I want to see.

Those three guys that have been named are clearly on their way out.

As has been mentioned before in the omnibus thread, WWE doesn't release people anymore, they just wait until their contract runs out.

I'm pretty sure JTG is one of those guys. No way will we ever see JTG on Raw or Smackdown again, new gimmick or not.

Found it interesting how quickly Adam Rose got called up after the gimmick change from Leo Kruger. Shows how important coming up with a "Raw Ready" gimmick really is. The guy was in NXT for how long as Leo Kruger and going nowhere? I think it was known that he could go in the ring, but the gimmick just wasn't something they could do anything with on Raw. He changed it up to a more main show friendly gimmick and immediately gets the call up.

T^he problem with relegating wrestlers down to nXt is that it automatically undercuts everyone there. People in wrestling have to debut with a bit of a push in order to keep them attractive and interesting, or to establish the wrestler to new viewers. If you do this to guys who are billed as "relegated", you immediately undercut everyone's achievements on nXt. It's okay right now for Neville to go toe to toe with Brodus Clay, because his character is "I'm pissed off and I'm going to go back to my ass kicking roots" but it's not okay for Neville to go toe to toe with Brodus Clay whose character is "this fat jobber couldn't cut it on the main roster so we sent him down" even if that's what they are actually doing. If they start to do it regularly, it won't end up doing favors for anyone. 

Also, does anyone really want to see Corey Graves v. Zack Ryder or CJ Parker v. a face JTG? Terrible. 

Paige has to vacate the title, there's no way I can see them having the WWE champ drop her NXT title to someone in a match, unless that someone is someone also on the WWE roster and they use that to start a feud between them.

Rollins and Big E both continued to work NXT after debuting on the main roster, at least long enough to drop the NXT Title.  I could see some kind of Paige/Sasha/Charlotte/Emma-or-Bayley four-way match where Charlotte steals a win.

NXT doesn't also work house shows regularly. They tape a few weeks of shows at one sitting in the old-school fashion. Pretty easy to just get someone to duck out of a house show date to do some NXT work and go back to the roster.

Paige has to vacate the title, there's no way I can see them having the WWE champ drop her NXT title to someone in a match, unless that someone is someone also on the WWE roster and they use that to start a feud between them.

Rollins and Big E both continued to work NXT after debuting on the main roster, at least long enough to drop the NXT Title.  I could see some kind of Paige/Sasha/Charlotte/Emma-or-Bayley four-way match where Charlotte steals a win.

I just don't think it looks good for the holder of main roster's women's title to go and drop her NXT title on a NXT show. 

• Like 1