DVDVR Message Board

The NXT Thread

rzombie1988

Catching up with the episodes that are on the Network. Watching Neville/Graves, and I have to say, it's been a long time since I've despised the look of a wrestler as much as I do that of Corey Graves. The skinny jeans, the stupid tattoos, and the obnoxious hair all add up to someone I don't care very much to see wrestle.

He's the hippy, right? Basically trying to work a crunchy version of Punk's straight edge messiah character?

I don't care for him, either.

Catching up with the episodes that are on the Network. Watching Neville/Graves, and I have to say, it's been a long time since I've despised the look of a wrestler as much as I do that of Corey Graves. The skinny jeans, the stupid tattoos, and the obnoxious hair all add up to someone I don't care very much to see wrestle.

He's the hippy, right? Basically trying to work a crunchy version of Punk's straight edge messiah character?

I don't care for him, either.

That's CJ Parker. He's not really a messiah type. He JUST turned heel -- more an annoying, smarmy know-it-all.

Corey Graves was everyone's least favorite NXT wrestler until just a few weeks ago. He was a face and was SOOOOO incredibly boring. But now that he's heel there's been a new Corey Graves Appreciation Society forming. He's one of the few heels who gives us absolutely NOTHING to like. It's glorious!

So, I guess no one knew that the new NXT went up yesterday? Surprised no one's talking about this show, or at least the main event.

Mojo continues to disappoint, and I am never going to stop hating his current match formula/gimmick combo.

Breeze/Woods and Graves/Tatsu were solid matches that did what they needed to do. Once Corey Graves rounds out his moveset and gets better at working the early stages of a match, he's going to be a serious player. A lot of matches with Zayn could probably help him along considerably.

The divas match was surprisingly good, probably the best Nattie has looked in years. Charlotte reminds me of a less confident Michelle McCool right now, but when she starts to trust her athleticism and not relying on Ric Flair call-backs to get herself over (seriously the name Charlotte is enough), she could be pretty special. The spot where she got stepped on in the splits then dropkicked was nice, and she really ate the discus lariat too. The knee work and submission duel was decent, but Charlotte needs to get away from the figure 4.  Use your dad to get your foot in the door, but you've got enough going for you that you don't need to be a non-stop tribute act, girl.

Bret looked like he totally didn't want to be there either.

The Neville/Dallas re-match was easily the best NXT match since Zayn/Cesaro. Really good counter-based match that both guys seemed comfortable in. Dallas was laying in the strikes, and Neville was bumping and flying as only he can. That superkick and reverse shooting star press or whatever the hell that was looked tremendous. Every time I watch Neville, I can't get over how effortlessly he moves around and the complexity of the moves he pulls off. I don't think it's too much of a stretch to say he's the most technically advanced high flyer in wrestling history. He still keeps it in the context of the match, though, and knows when to hit stuff out of nowhere and when to build to a big payoff. Both guys came out of this match looking good, and I hope Adrian Neville gets a nice reign to show his stuff.

The rematch was better than the ladder match a month ago with the story being the guy who won was the first one to hit the other with something they weren't expecting, as opposed to Bo continuously trying a finish that Neville had scouted and was able to counter.

Also, the fake out on the ref bump was an obvious Savage-Steamboat homage. It amused me.

Is the ring announcer always so stone-face? She was so un-involved. Is there a story behind that? An off night? Or was she hamming it up too much and WWE had to tell her to tone it down?

I'm not digging Xavier Woods coming out to The Cat's old WWE theme while running a Fighting Spirit gimmick. I like the guy and was a big supporter of him during his TNA run, but I'm not sure WWE knows exactly what to do with the kid. It's a shame as he is so talented.

I loved the main, thought it was actually on the higher end of the NXT spectrum of big matches. Neville isn't afraid to kill himself out there and Bo knows how to ramp it up. I'm not sure how he's going to transfer to the main roster, but I think it's obvious he's found his niche from an in-ring perspective.

I'm not digging Xavier Woods coming out to The Cat's old WWE theme while running a Fighting Spirit gimmick. I like the guy and was a big supporter of him during his TNA run, but I'm not sure WWE knows exactly what to do with the kid. It's a shame as he is so talented.

I hate that they have him playing "Dancin Black Guy" #9000

I would love to see Woods play up his intelect. If they really want to build on trios then a Sandow, Woods and English combo of smarter/classier/better taste douchebags would be fantastic.

....so to speak...

I didn't watch NXT after Arrival, so I marathoned it this morning and had a blast. I saw Adam Rose's entrance before, but the whole Adrian Street act works for him, and this is really the best way to do that same kind of goofy stuff while having it work in the modern era. Charlotte is quite awesome, and IT'S BAYLEY is fun. Mojo's got a good act, and Aiden English is at least memorable, but the in-ring for him didn't light me on fire. Bo-Adrian (I DID IT!) was fantastic. Way better than the ladder match, and I hope this leads to Bo saying Adrian has never beaten him by countout or DQ now.

Mojo's cheering section really bothers me. They sit dead center of the hard camera and are absolutely comatose for everything that happens on the show other than that goofy fucker. It is a) visually distracting, b ) a downer, and c) the opposite of staying hyped.

• Like 1

Mojo's cheering section really bothers me. They sit dead center of the hard camera and are absolutely comatose for everything that happens on the show other than that goofy fucker. It is a) visually distracting, b ) a downer, and c) the opposite of staying hyped.

Seriously I know that NXT tapes about 4 or 5 weeks at a time but man when is this cheering section going to go home.  Unless they are now recruiting fans as members of his family which is only slightly more realistic than Gronk being a fan of Rawley

The Bret Hart appearance was so pathetic.  First of all why was he needed to begin with if Ric Flair wasn't going to show up.  It isn't like he is going to get physical with Sasha Banks.   So the match is over and Sasha does run-in and Bret just stands there doing nothing.  

Was impressed at how much offense Yoshi Tatsu got in his match.   should leave him down there because at least he can be a competitive jobber instead of one that gets squashed once every 6 months. 

I think most of the Mojo section is his family. It used to be a handful but has grown over time. He really is over for the most part at Full Sail. I'm looking forward to him being a Heyman guy in about 2 years.

Bret looked stoned out of his mind but I guess that was the pain pills?