DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling What Ifs

Web Conn

Really? That feels wrong. I'm not saying its not true, it is just hard to imagine. 
One last thing about Kronik in 2001 WWF. After the PPV they were sent to HWA and Clarke quit since he found the idea demeaning. Adams went with it since a check is a check. 

Edited by Victator
  • Thanks 1

If WCW never signs Hogan in 1994, how quickly does Vince bring him back? Does he wait until business tanks in Bret's year off with Diesel and Shawn as champions? Mix that up with a "What if Dustin Rhodes only gets fined, not fired, for blading at WCW UnCensored" and you've got a Rhodes vs Austin World Title match on top of Starrcade 97, while Survivor Series '97 sees Rocky Miavia as the newest recruit to the New Generation in their endless war against The Immortals.

20 hours ago, AxB said:

If WCW never signs Hogan in 1994, how quickly does Vince bring him back? Does he wait until business tanks in Bret's year off with Diesel and Shawn as champions? Mix that up with a "What if Dustin Rhodes only gets fined, not fired, for blading at WCW UnCensored" and you've got a Rhodes vs Austin World Title match on top of Starrcade 97, while Survivor Series '97 sees Rocky Miavia as the newest recruit to the New Generation in their endless war against The Immortals.

This wording makes sound like Jack Kirby was wrtiting a wrestling show

James

Edited by J.H.
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, AxB said:

Honestly, that might be the toughest call for when Hogan comes back.

On the one hand, Vince will bring back anyone if he can make money on them...but on the other hand, Hogan would be coming off of testifying against Vince in the steroid trials, but on the other other hand, Vince would absolutely know that he could make big money off of Hogan vs. Vince, but on the other other other hand, it's seeming no Hogan in WCW, no NWO, which means no Attitude Era AND no "hey, wait a minute. Evil Eric Bischoff is working- maybe that thing I did in Memphis could have a punch to it."

Bare minimum, I assume it's a non-starter. Vince wouldn't have brought Hogan back until 1996-97 (likely since Piper was also involved in the steroid trial and Vince brought Piper back in 1996, and was considering bringing Savage back in 1996 as well)...but we know from Hogan that he's such an attention whore that if he was off TV for that long, he probably would have signed with WCW in 1995 and  presumably been the big surprise debut on the Nitro premiere anyway.

I was going with the assumption that WCW refused to break their wage structure at any point, so none of the nWo big money contracts happen. But once Thunder in Paradise was cancelled, would Hogan have been willing to drop his asking price to get on TV? Doesn't sound like him. He'd probably schlepp around Hollywood looking for a movie deal until Vince brought him back.

During the build to Hogan vs Michaels, HH said he wanted Michaels to be like he was in 1997. In this timeline, the feud actually happens in 1997. Shawn still loses.

On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 7:34 PM, Victator said:

I never understood why that match got so much shit. It wasn't a good match but I would not call it bad. It always looked like Taker and Kane were the problem because they were not selling for Kronik, even for a face in peril segment. Which if Taker was the one fighting for them to come in, doesn't make sense.

What I recall hearing is that Taker pushed to bring in Adams (and Clarke by proxy), but when they got there he found that the WCW locker room had given them a bad case of Bagwell Syndrome (ie. bad attitude, poor work ethic, large egos). Since he was the one to vouch for them, he felt personally insulted and decided to bury them instead of making them look good.

• Like 1

FWIW, the whole Hogan testified against Vince thing is really overblown. I mean, yes, he was a witness called by the state, but he didn't really say anything particularly damning. He didn't testify that Vince told him to take steroids, or that he got steroids from Vince or anyone else in the WWF.

What if JBL hadn't given Vince a decent stock tip (unsubstantiated rumour) and got a run with the belt? Who else could have plugged the heel gap Brock Lesnar left?

Similarly, what's the consensus on the JBL run now? I remember everyone hating it at the time, mainly because it came out of nowhere

I think we get a prolonged title run for Eddie in which we see him turn into his true "lie, cheat and steal" character in order to keep the title. Kind of like the heel character he was during his 05 run. 

I wasn't a fan of the JBL run. He had his entertaining moments, but right around the time he won the title was when Smackdown started going downhill in my opinion.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, olythegreat89 said:

I wasn't a fan of the JBL run. He had his entertaining moments, but right around the time he won the title was when Smackdown started going downhill in my opinion.

Same with me. It had two moments. Those being the Eddie, and Cena matches. But that was more on those performers killing themselves to get those matches over. Also the later match was the end of his run on top, so that may have raised my appreciation to it. But yeah I barely watched any of that JBL hokey character at the time.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

All I remember was he'd been pretty much relegated to tag team jobber in the last incarnation of the APA and was going nowhere fast, then he was given this opportunity and he was adamant he was going to get over no matter what which resulted in him trying to get heat anyway he could (very cheaply, especially at the beginning) and then Eddie really put him over. It was just so weird seeing someone go from nothing to that over the course of literally a couple of months

I've still no idea why JBL/Cena didn't go on last, especially as Cena became the man

Edited by CreativeControl

The reaction to JBL at the time was essentially the same as the Jinder Mahal reaction two years ago, but the character and the matches really held up when I went back and watched again. I never felt he got enough credit for how well he transformed from midcard Stan Hansen clone into top heel. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

The reaction to JBL at the time was essentially the same as the Jinder Mahal reaction two years ago, but the character and the matches really held up when I went back and watched again. I never felt he got enough credit for how well he transformed from midcard Stan Hansen clone into top heel. 

Yeah I was going to make the Jinder comparison, it's pretty much like for like. I think by the time his run was over he'd pretty much cemented himself as a top guy but boy were those first six months rough

I'm one of the very few who loved both JBL & HHH reigns running Raw and SDL, two favorite heel runs of that decade.  Even though it was sudden, thought JBL fit in to the role and spot on the card perfectly. All the matches delivered including the fun little TV stuff like the series with Hardcore Holly, the cage match with Eddie, etc. in addition to the PPV mains. Always loved the clever heel ways of coming out on top, especially the barbed wire cage vs. Big Show. Something I loved later on about Bobby Roode's TNA title run, always coming out on top in unique heel ways. Made JBL a top heel for the next several years, unfortunately the same did not work out for Jinder who's run I also enjoyed more than most.

18 hours ago, DreamBroken said:

I'm one of the very few who loved both JBL & HHH reigns running Raw and SDL, two favorite heel runs of that decade.  Even though it was sudden, thought JBL fit in to the role and spot on the card perfectly. All the matches delivered including the fun little TV stuff like the series with Hardcore Holly, the cage match with Eddie, etc. in addition to the PPV mains. Always loved the clever heel ways of coming out on top, especially the barbed wire cage vs. Big Show. Something I loved later on about Bobby Roode's TNA title run, always coming out on top in unique heel ways. Made JBL a top heel for the next several years, unfortunately the same did not work out for Jinder who's run I also enjoyed more than most.

Well not all the matches. Lest we forget the Undertaker match.

But I did love his run. Great character, presentation and delivery. 

Edited by For Great Justice
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

JBL was like if the Jinder run had worked. I was so pissed try moved the belt from Eddy to that clown, but he won me over.

Face is about to win, Singh Bros. interfere, Face disposes of Singhs, Jinder hits his shitty cobra clutch slam. 

That's a summation of the end of every single title defense Jinder had. 

14 minutes ago, BrianS81177 said:

Face is about to win, Singh Bros. interfere, Face disposes of Singhs, Jinder hits his shitty cobra clutch slam. 

That's a summation of the end of every single title defense Jinder had. 

Oh I definitely wasn't won over by Jinder. I'm saying JBL was an example of that kind of thing working, unlike Mahal

Edited by Brian Fowler

Jinder never had a Cena, or Eddie bloodbath either. Dude coasted on cheap heat his whole reign. Had a nice entrance, and good facials, but it all fell apart as soon as the bell rang. What a waste of a few months to draw a thousand flies, and 50 fans in a country with 50 trillion people who could give a shit.

• Like 1

I still think they cut Cena’s legs off in that Wrestlemania title match vs JBL - they had him come out to new music (resulting in a muted pop), and JBL controlled the majority of the match to little heat.

• Like 1

The JBL reign also occured in an era where the booking was infinitely better than when Jinder was champion. If creative was actually creative the Mahal reign could've been alot more than the boring repetitive bs that his title matches were.

• Like 3

Jinder's reign sucked due to reasons that were almost entirely out of his control, and he was and still is mercilessly shit on for it. It wasn't his booking, they weren't his promos, he didn't lay out the matches. He isn't a bad wrestler. He's just kind of there. But just because it wasn't a Nakamura (he's the Eddy stand-in for this example) title reign where he's undefeated and kills everyone for a year to build up to AJ Styles, it became "Jinder Mahal: Worst Wrestler Ever."

• Sad 1

23 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

Jinder's reign sucked due to reasons that were almost entirely out of his control, and he was and still is mercilessly shit on for it. It wasn't his booking, they weren't his promos, he didn't lay out the matches. He isn't a bad wrestler. He's just kind of there. But just because it wasn't a Nakamura (he's the Eddy stand-in for this example) title reign where he's undefeated and kills everyone for a year to build up to AJ Styles, it became "Jinder Mahal: Worst Wrestler Ever."

Any great Jinder WWE Main Event matches you can recommend?

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs