DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling What Ifs

Web Conn

46 minutes ago, AxB said:

Wasn't Bischoff's wife in Playboy or something?

I remember during the MNW, a few internet wierdos had a strange obsession with DDP and Bischoff doing wife swaps.

She wasn't a Playmate, but she was briefly a Playboy Special Edition model and appeared nude in one of the 2005 newsstand Special Editions.

Edited by Eoae

2 hours ago, (BP) said:

I think she was a Playmate at some point, but they met when they were both models doing an ad for Target together. 

Reveal hidden contents

576-A014-C-8-C59-4-FBB-8-E8-F-3-A3001645

The late '70s/early '80s were a mess. 

Why would people dress like this?!

14 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

Take this for what it's worth, but Bischoff said he gave Page those spots in 1998 because having a guy like Flair, Sting or Goldberg there would damage their credibility or some shit. He made it seem like if they somehow stuck Goldberg in one of those spots, people wouldn't buy him as a top act or something like that.

I can kinda see the idea that Page could make those matches work...I could see Flair doing it (he was involved with Kevin Greene) but Goldberg or Sting it probably would have been a mess. Pages scripting out his matches probably was something good for parttimers as well

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What if, in January 2022, Tony Khan declines to extend the contracts of Cody Rhodes, he Young Bucks and Kenny Omega and lets them leave AEW?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, AxB said:

What if, in January 2022, Tony Khan declines to extend the contracts of Cody Rhodes, he Young Bucks and Kenny Omega and lets them leave AEW?

First round of beers is on me...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Well most likely WWE signs all 4 of them, and all the e-drones on twitter spend a few frantic hours desperately deleting over 1000 day's worth of partisan trollposts.

• Haha 1

Not that he'd dump all four at the same time, but it's a fun thought experiment...

The second an EVP leaves, we get to start the clock on how long till we get to hear all the juicy stories we haven't been privy to the last couple years. 

To get Omega and the Bucks into such a stifling environment as WWE, where they know what awaits them, would probably require an amount of cash that would be prohibitive in the current environment. If Tony doesn't want them, it's not like there's another operation out there that Vince and company would find as threatening as AEW, so their value is diminished as compared to the last time they were talking. They probably wouldn't get offers as sweet as they were extended pre-AEW. And that's before we talk about age and Vince's preferences. Exceptions can and will be made, but would they or should they be in the case of Kenny and the Bucks? Unclear. And then factor in how many of the people the Bucks and Kenny want to work with who are very clear and open in their discontent, with each day inching many of those people closer to walking out that door. Unless their motivation is purely financial and they're ready to get their soul stomped on, would they want to go there? How open should anyone be to empty promises that could be made to entice them if they were wanted? There are a lot of questions to be asked, but I could see Omega and Bucks taking a different path if the day were to come that AEW were to pass on them. 

Cody was on TV for almost ten years in WWE and has continued to speak highly of key people in the company. I think based on what he'd want and the company would want and the longstanding relationships, the path for him to be brought back into that fold would be easier. It'd be disappointing, but I could very realistically imagine that.

The most interesting question that could come out of this hypothetical would be what would happen to the EVP positions in AEW.

I was under the impression the four of them had some sort of ownership stake in AEW, but then again I realize this is all hypothetical.

Despite his on screen shenanigans and social media snipes, I doubt Cody burned every bridge there was in WWE. The only way I see him going back is if he negotiates some huge payday and a guaranteed world title program. The likelihood of him being given the creative latitude he had in AEW is unlikely, so I couldn't see him staying around for more than a year or two. More likely he leaves the business and just sticks to doing reality tv and the occasional acting gig. At some point he probably does a John Cena and has a few one shot matches in Japan or PWG.

The Elite go back to what they were doing before AEW and splitting their time between NJPW and PWG, and perhaps ROH if it ever picks up again. Hell, maybe they even agree to back ROH to get it back on track in exchange for being in charge. I could also see them trying to lobby PWG to run more often to make it a viable big name promotion.

I think the better hypothetical is not if Tony drops them, but if Vince poaches them. Some psycho, completely feasible medium-long game where the WWE roster cuts were to clear the "cap space" to sign major AEW guys as a ways of demoralizing the AEW locker room and tarnishing the company's image (and signing good, popular wrestlers I guess).

One of the reasons AEW can snatch up all this available talent is because the other large employer doesn't want them and the money gap between #2 and #3 (ostensibly AEW and IMPACT) is so huge. Add the difficulty and uncertainty in working internationally, and you've got a greatly reduced market value for newly-released talent. The contracts given to true free agents are gonna be a different matter entirely

Edited by John E. Dynamite

What if... Vince convinces to let Bret take the paycut and let's him stay, benches Michaels for the remainder of his deal and Montreal doesn't happen? Does Michaels going to WCW get us the same result as Bret going (i.e. Bischoff has 0 idea how to effectively use him) or does Shawn just spiral out of control bbefore that with tragic results?

James

• Like 1

2 hours ago, J.H. said:

What if... Vince convinces to let Bret take the paycut and let's him stay, benches Michaels for the remainder of his deal and Montreal doesn't happen? Does Michaels going to WCW get us the same result as Bret going (i.e. Bischoff has 0 idea how to effectively use him) or does Shawn just spiral out of control bbefore that with tragic results?

James

I am still of the belief that Shawn going to WCW would have been even more disastrous than Bret going to WCW, as combined with him being in a company where his outside-the-ring issues would be more unchecked, he would still run into the brick wall that was Hulk Hogan's creative control clause, which also likely in that time period lead to even more exacerbation of his issues.

I always got the feeling that Hulk at least respected Bret as a worker even if he didn't see him as a "star" on his level. I just see Shawn getting told "that doesn't work for me, brother" whenever ANY idea of him in 1998/1999 interacting with Hulk got pitched.

Shawn MIGHT have a shot if he hung around long enough for Russo to make it to WCW, but even then, I can't imagine Goldberg having much patience for dealing with a pilled-up Shawn Michaels, and if they were put in the ring it's possible that Shawn's career would have ended too but in a more malevolent manner.

• Like 4

Vince would’ve kept Shawn under contract and just paid him to sit home if it came to it. He was on the payroll the entire time he was retired after the back injury, and Vince sent talent down to Shawn’s promotion/school in Texas to help get it started. Vince just had a soft spot for Shawn in a way he didn’t for nearly anyone else, and I don’t see any way he’d let him go to WCW.

Plus, Shawn was an insecure bundle of nerves the entire time he was put on top and it turned him into an emotional train wreck. If he couldn’t handle WWF’s competitive locker room there’s no way he’d be able to share space again with all of the guys that gave him imposter syndrome in the early 90s. He wouldn’t have Vince as a security blanket, and Hall and Nash’s influence would only go so far. 

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Shawn with Hall and Nash, would have done something stupid, no doubt.

Just imagining how much of a train wreck the promos would have gotten if a pilled-up Shawn that doesn't give a flying fuck was placed in the ring opposite peak-incomprehensible 1998 Roddy Piper makes me wonder if Bischoff would have ordered production to just cut to commercial sometime during. 

Edited by clintthecrippler
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, clintthecrippler said:

Just imagining how much of a train wreck the promos would have gotten if a pilled-up Shawn that doesn't give a flying fuck was placed in the ring opposite peak-incomprehensible 1998 Roddy Piper makes me wonder if Bischoff would have ordered production to just cut to commercial sometime during. 

if he let Ultimate Warrior cut a rambling, incomprehensible promo for 10+ minutes, i don't see Shawn/Piper getting the commercial treatment.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, (BP) said:

Vince would’ve kept Shawn under contract and just paid him to sit home if it came to it. He was on the payroll the entire time he was retired after the back injury, and Vince sent talent down to Shawn’s promotion/school in Texas to help get it started. Vince just had a soft spot for Shawn in a way he didn’t for nearly anyone else, and I don’t see any way he’d let him go to WCW. 

And Shawn repaid Vince’s loyalty by making a miraculous recovery and returning to the ring just as his contract finally expired and he wasn’t going to get paid to sit home.  Odd how the timing on that one worked out.  God certainly does work in mysterious ways!

Edited by Tarheel Moneghetti
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

And Shawn repaid Vince’s loyalty by making a miraculous recovery and returning to the ring just as his contract finally expired and he wasn’t going to get paid to sit home.  Odd how the timing on that one worked out.  God certainly does work in mysterious ways!

l just heard a great story about the night they kicked Shawn out of the locker room for passing out and he got sent home until he was clean and started wrestling again. He was all pilled up and he ran into Jericho the night he disguised himself as Doink to attack Regal. He saw Jericho in the costume and hollers, “Oh no, they made you the new Doink?!” And Jericho’s trying to explain it’s for an angle, but Shawn keeps yelling that being Doink is going to ruin his career and he has to go confront Vince and tell him no. 

• Haha 3

45 minutes ago, (BP) said:

l just heard a great story about the night they kicked Shawn out of the locker room for passing out and he got sent home until he was clean and started wrestling again. He was all pilled up and he ran into Jericho the night he disguised himself as Doink to attack Regal. He saw Jericho in the costume and hollers, “Oh no, they made you the new Doink?!” And Jericho’s trying to explain it’s for an angle, but Shawn keeps yelling that being Doink is going to ruin his career and he has to go confront Vince and tell him no. 

20200603-233903.jpg

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 6