DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling What Ifs

Web Conn

Hypothetically, if the 20 year deal Bret signed to WWE in '96 came off like it was planned to, that was 3 years in the ring and 17 backstage/ onscreen in a non-Wrestling role. Which would mean that he'd have his retirement match in 1999. Who do you reckon he'd face?

And in the alternate history where Vince chose Bret instead of Shawn in '97, how closely does the history play out to ours (only with the Foundation in the DX spot and HHH in Owen's)?

16 minutes ago, AxB said:

Hypothetically, if the 20 year deal Bret signed to WWE in '96 came off like it was planned to, that was 3 years in the ring and 17 backstage/ onscreen in a non-Wrestling role. Which would mean that he'd have his retirement match in 1999. Who do you reckon he'd face?

The Rock is the obvious choice.

Austin or Rock are both sound choices, but I could also see him facing Jericho especially considering the familial connection. Depending on what kind of writing was on the wall regarding WCW's downward spiral and people jumping ship, maybe he stays around another year and puts over Eddy or Benoit on his way out?

Edited by HumanChessgame

On 2/21/2021 at 3:11 PM, DMJ said:

Not sure if this was covered before, but what if, for whatever reason, the first Iraq War/Operation Desert Shield never happens. I'm guessing this means that Sgt. Slaughter does not turn into an Iraqi sympathizer and the top heel in the company in late 1990.

So...what do you think Vince had planned for WrestleMania VII? Is the general consensus that it was to be a Hogan/Warrior rematch?

If that's the case, does Warrior vanquish Savage at Royal Rumble 91' (instead of dropping the title to Slaughter as he did)? What does Savage do then? I assume the plan was always to have Savage turn face at WrestleMania VII and reunite with Miss Elizabeth, but I'm just not sure if you get the same emotional impact after a Retirement Match against, say, Jim Duggan or the Big Bossman. Maybe they pull Roddy Piper from being in Virgil's corner and use him instead? I feel like Piper/Savage in 91' is as close to a "second main event" as Warrior/Savage was.

I kinda wonder with them being in SoCal we wouldn't end up with Tito vs Savage? Apparently Tito was the other option when they decided to put the belt on Bret in 92. Tito wins in California and then they do an expansion into Mexico instead of Canada? 

What if Dave Meltzer doesn't get any Japan tapes in the early 80s, but gets another set of tapes instead (World of Sport, for example)?

Does that change his worldview? Does that in turn influence what "smart" fans consider to be good wrestling? Is wrestling fandom, and wrestling more generally, any different today?

23 hours ago, AxB said:

I mean, if you really think about it I think it might have been Owen...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/21/2020 at 2:33 PM, Shartnado said:

Moving away from Sid for a minute, I saw Shawn Michaels vs Kamala from '93 last year and all I could think of was "if this was '82 or even '87 Kamala and '96 or even '94 Michaels, this would be an amazing match!" Can you guys think of any other examples of matches that would have been much better with a time- machine involved?

There was a Mark Henry/Vader match at a IYH in 1998. If this was early 90s Vader vs late 00s/early 10s Hall of Pain Mark Henry, that would have been really fun.

• Like 4

On 3/2/2021 at 6:59 PM, DerangedHermit said:

There was a Mark Henry/Vader match at a IYH in 1998. If this was early 90s Vader vs late 00s/early 10s Hall of Pain Mark Henry, that would have been really fun.

Rock vs. Bret and HHH vs. Bret in 97 come to mind. 00/01 era Rock/HHH vs. 96/97 Bret would've been pretty awesome.

• Like 1

Hasn’t Bret said that his dream match is vs Angle? HBK is also up there. It doesn’t seem like it but they were the Sting/Flair feud of the WWF. The feud was never really over, even when it wasn’t going on if that makes any sense. Then Sting/Flair was finally over when 1 of only 3 possible things (Sting himself, Flair himself, or the company itself) was over first.

Edited by BloodyChamp

Everyone talked about Crow Sting/Undertaker as a dream match, but if you ask me it was Surfer Sting, not Crow Sting, that would have been the perfect foil for Taker. He had the upbeat energy and visual aesthetic that would have been a perfect contrast with the darker, more methodical Dead Man.

• Like 8

25 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

How about Crow Sting vs. Biker Taker? Actually, that might've been a great tag team...

That would've.

Both have history with The Giant/Big Show.

Certainly would have made that incident where Taker left Show in the middle of the desert more interesting, if he has Sting in his side car.

33 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Oh shit. You just know we are gonna get a Sting/Wight match now

Yeah, they'll start it at 9:55, and Tony Khan will make us stick around for 30 mins, as it's interspersed during commercials for Brisco County III (or whatever the show was for that Nitro).

Edited by PetrolCB
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, PetrolCB said:

Yeah, they'll start it at 9:55, and Tony Khan will make us stick around for 30 mins, as it's interspersed during commercials for Brisco County III (or whatever the show was for that Nitro).

Wasn't it Robin Hood?

So why do (some) Americans pronounce it as if the i in Robin is silent? Ro-BIN. Like Robbing, without the g. Robin Hood, not Rob'n'hood.