DVDVR Message Board

Name The Big Men Better Than Mark Henry

Pretending like the getting caught in the ropes spot is laziness is kind of silly. Andre has multiple get caught in the ropes spots since the 70s. They are really important spots as they are "monster is now vulnerable" spots.

The Big Show could've really used more spots like those as a lot of his career he either had no point where crowd could identify with him being vulnerable or just looked silly when opponents transitioned to offense by just transitioning to offense the way they would against any normal sized opponent.------------------------------------------------------------------

In defense of Show, in terms of Dylan's discussion of Show vis a vis Henry. It should be pointed out that Show is a guy who can get some watchable stuff out of Kane.

Kane's a guy who has some good comic timing (Kane/Al Snow, Kane/Danielson, Kane/Boogieman).

Kane will get a watchable match with a smaller bumping guy ( there will be one good Kane v Xpac match in their series, a good Kane v RVD match in their series, v Matt Hardy, v Jericho, v. MVP, v Christian, etc....there rarely is more than one match in those series that I want to watch but there's normally one).

Kane is pretty much Edge's most regular opponent. According to Meltzer, Edge has had more 4 plus star main events than anyone else. Still not a single Kane v Edge match I want to see.

Kane v other monster is normally death. That Show has been able to do a couple different watchable things with him in a monster v monster context is pretty impressive. 

There is no way someone like Gordy should be in the discussion. I think The thread title is misleading people. It's super heavyweights. If Gordy or Hansen are in then you might as well add hogan. Batista, Brock and 500 other guys. We are talking giant fat dudes who do splashes

Yeah, I think there are Big Men (Kane! Luke Gallows!) and then there are Monsters (Yokozuna! Mark Henry!). And then there is the Biggest Little Man.

Posted Image

You said a lot about Kane there but very little about Kane vs Henry, which has happened a decent amount, no? 

Yeah, that was my  point.

Mark Henry is a guy who is really good at monster v monster.

Big Show is a guy who is really good at monster v monster. 

WWF booking does a lot of monster v monster meetings and rarely good.

Henry and Big Show stand out as guys who pull those things off.

Kane v Henry was as uninteresting as Kane v Snitsky: at best it was as dull as the average Kane v Taker match just without the special effects and booking tricks, and at worst and bordered on the worst of Andre v Studd.Big Show is a guy who I semi-look forward to working Kane.

I think I might actually like Henry more than Vader at this point. I don't know if I can even coherently argue why, so it probably is just preference. I know Henry doesn't have the diversity of work that Vader does, so I'm probably subjectively wrong about this. 

I like that Henry can credibly show vulnerability in a way that Vader does not, especially against smaller guys. Punk and Bryan have looked more credible up against Henry in the last couple of years than Flair did against Vader at Starrcade, for example (though Bryan has some of the most credible small-guy offense that I have ever seen, to be fair). Henry sells credibly for small man offense in a way that is more believable to me than Vader does and makes those "smaller babyface fighting from underneath" type matches more enjoyable for me. 

I feel comfortable saying this when comparing it to Vader's WCW work, as I have seen all of it twice-over, but I could really be wrong about Vader re: his Japan work, which I don't know as well. 

Thank you! I will definitely do that. I never turn down a chance to see more Vader. 

Two other observations that are a bit split off from the main discussion, and then I will back off and let everyone get back to discussing the main topic.

First, I think my favorite thing about Vader that incidentally I wish Mark Henry would get to do more of is when he is in a big bomb-throwing type match against other bigger dudes. For example, I don't think Vader/Bam Bam vs. The Steiners is subjectively a "good" match, but I love watching 275 pound-plus guys overhead belly-belly suplexing and superplexing one another. I know Henry got to do some of that with Show, but I wish we could see him bust out some awesome power moves on big dudes more often, though I guess there aren't really the guys on the roster for him to do that with. I would be glad to plunk down money to watch he and Brock Lesnar throw each other around, though. 

Second, I would not rate Yokozuna over Henry overall, but Yoko might be my favorite squash match wrestler ever. It's him or Kevin Sullivan for me. 

Anyway, back to what everyone was discussing. 

Henry is so awesomely smooth with Kayfabe in that interview.  When he's asked at the end about "playing a bad guy" he's able to tell us smarts exactly how to do it without actually "telling us how to do it" out of character.  His answer:

"Well ask yourself this...Am I really a bad guy?  Or just a guy who doesn't follow other people's standards?"

So he answered the question.  Because that is how you do it.  Before you go out there and talk you ask yourself..."How is this not my fault?"  And you believe the answer you come up with.  That's what makes his promos so believable and real without being "insider"-real.

I think Show is easily better than Henry. His matches with Mayweather, Taker, Lesnar, Del Rio, Sheamus, and Bryan are all better than Henry's best work.I'd say Umaga deserves consideration too, although his peak might have been too short due to his untimely death. Still, his matches with Cena and Jeff Hardy were better than Henry's best, and his killing of Santino was pretty underrated too.

• Like 1

I love Bossman but what specific matches are we discussing? The cage matches with Hogan are pretty good and Bossman was shockingly agile for a man of that size... then he lost the weight and was even more athletic... had some good hardcore matches..  I'm just not sure if he has a great catalogue though in comparison to others mentioned. Almost forgot, his match with Vader at Spring Stampede was good also. Best PPV ever.

His early stuff was mostly 3-minute Russo specials where still he rarely had enough movez to finish without having used a chinlock, so not really. 

The thing is it took him awhile to learn what moves he can do safely. Not just because he could injure somebody. If Henry used Abyss' black hole slam an actual black hole would form from the force.

I think Blackwell and Andre are definitely in the conversation. We have great Andre matches as early as 1974 and as late as 1986. He went 45 minutes with Strong Kobayashi and it was amazing. I don't know if Henry has ever had a match as good as the Andre-Hansen match or Andre-Khan match from New Japan. Blackwell was minimum Top 10 worker  for like 4 years straight of what we have footage of. Henry's run has been amazing since at least 2011. I want to see more Tenta either in All Japan (wishful thinking) and I might even go re-examine his WWF career. He showed so much potential in the All Japan tags from the 80s sets but I don't think he has ever had the peak that Henry has had. 

Big men that I feel are clearly better than Henry have all been named. Vader, Big Show/Giant, and Yokozuna. After reading the thread, I also have liked Abdullah, OMG, and Ray Traylor better than Henry.

Hulk Hogan? He's pretty fucking big and, honestly, his best work in my opinion is miles ahead of anything I've seen from Henry.