DVDVR Message Board

Colt Cabana's Art of Wrestling Podcast

Web Conn

I found the Dan Severn podcast to be surprisingly enjoyable Dan comes off as a really positive & a generally good guy. I say surprising because Dan can come off in the ring as boring but he is anything but during this interview. He also seemed to really enjoy Colts story about being at the end of his WWE run and having a dark match with a guy the WWE was big on where he wore a grey shirt soaked it in water and drew a big mustache on his face wrestling the match as Dan Severn, thus ending thus kids future in the WWE.

New Jack talking about not liking the nappy dugout is still my favorite AOW moment, followed closely by the Briscoe Brothers complaining about Oakland Raider player ranking in Madden, and THE POWER UTI.

Colt does a good job of interviewing folks, and getting fun stories out of them. 

Cabana always mentions how he's "not a music guy" and that baffles me. It blows my mind that people are out there who don't have music they enjoy and are fans of.

There might be music he likes but he might not listen to the radio or go out of his way to discover new stuff. He might just like stuff that falls into his lap maybe.

Jesus, Colt sounded depressed on the opening. He acknowledged it, but man...he seems pretty bummed out about wrestling and life. Thinly veiled reference to Punk when he says that sometimes people leave wrestling and you just need to find someone else to cheer for.

• 3 weeks later...

The Buff interview was great.  Buff comes across as really likeable, and you kind of understand why, given his start, why he was mercilessly ribbed.

He also points out he was always considered much older than he really is, which when you put in perspective explains a hell of a lot.  He was the same age as most of the Natural Born Thrillers which blows my mind.

Also his wife and mom having the same name is superb.

What I enjoyed about the interview is you could tell naïve 19-year old Buff Bagwell went into the wrestling business with the assumption that wrestling was easy, he would be on tv and making hundreds of thousands of dollars in no time.  And that's exactly what happened.

Something I was thinking about that went unaddressed. When WCW went  under, did Buff walk away from years of guaranteed WCW/Time-Warner money to give WWE a go only be released shortly after? 

• Like 1

I thought the best thing of all was this exchange (paraphrasing):

Buff:  I'm so excited to be on the show!  I'm a huge fan of yours and hear about your podcast all the time!

Colt:  But we had a match a few months ago, and you didn't know who I was.

That may have been the first time Colt actually called a guest out on their bullshit.

I didnt listen to it, but did they discuss the Handsome Stranger?

They did.

While in Global doing the Handsome Stranger gimmick, Buff was stripping to make ends meet. Colt wanted to know if he was the Handsome Stranger as a stripper as well.

Haha.  Yeah, I think Buff was actually one of the guys Vince wanted who didn't have like a $2 million a year contract.  They came up with that awesome idea for the relaunch in Spokane Washington with Arn Anderson giving possibly the worst color commentary in the history of the bizness.  That whole deal was a fucking mess.  

Buff's story about shooting his dad sounds like 1000% bullshit. If Hogan came out next Monday and said he main evented Wrestlemania 3 with 300,000 people in attendance, I would be more inclined to believe that, than I would Buff's story, and I was in attendance at Wrestlemania 3.