DVDVR Message Board

The WWE Main Event Thread

rzombie1988

Loved Ambrose/Henry. One of the best singles matches both men have had in quite some time. Henry sold the leg like a champ, but a big shout out to Ambrose for the believable leg work on the big man. Loved the 2nd rope chop blocks.

There should be less troll-feeding and more discussion about how awesome Ambrose vs. Henry was.

Limping during a powerslam and holding the ropes when you deliver a big boot is how you sell the damn leg. Nice comeback sequence by Henry and Ambrose was really moving sharp here too. The other Shield members were great on the outside.

Rollins: What? I didn't do anything!

*punch*

My favorite spot (besides Henry on the floor badassedly staring down The Shield guys) is Ambrose coming off the ropes and punching Henry in the back of the knee.

Referee 2 seconds before Natalya taps: "Whenever you're ready" kinda took me out of the match. That standing up in the sharpshooter was some trash though, AJ is so bendy, sharpshooter looked like some gentle yoga. Did like Tamina pushing the rope in though.

Opening tag team match was shit hot, just a really good midcard tag team match. The heels especially have got really good lately, Axel's ring work is a couple of notches above where he was during his IC title run, and Ryback has his character absolutely nailed, I love his jacked up meathead shtick. Had this gone a little longer I'm sure I'd be comfortable calling it one of the best tags of the year, as it stands it was still really good.

Divas title was fun, and went really long - I saw them do a near 15 minute match live in Manchester a few months ago so I guess they trust these two to bring the goods. Nattie's shite sharpshooter aside, it was a good match although not particularly notable. AJ got a nice punch in at one point, and did transition in to the Black Widow really impressively on the first attempt. Worth a watch, and the in ring introductions made this seem special.

Speaking of which, more in ring introductions for the main event as Dean Ambrose defends against Mark Henry is a pretty great match. I loved the hell out of Ambrose's leg work, particularly the punches to the back of the knee from the second rope. Looked great, nobody does anything quite like that and Henry sold them like a pro. In fact, his selling was impeccable during the whole match - I don't know why it always kinda surprises me when a guy his size is an awesome seller, but it still really impresses me. I love that he's put over as so strong that him kicking out at one point was pretty much a hope spot. The slam off the ropes was marvelous as well, they did it so quickly and Henry immediately sold pain again afterwards that it just came across as a really credible transition. Rollins and Reigns were superb on the outside as well, all three of the Shield are so good at working even when they're not in the ring. They'd have made this seem fun even if the work inside the ring hadn't been as great as it was, but they were just the icing or a really tasty cake here. Oh, and I just remembered Ambrose's double knee drop off of the steps to Henry's back, that rocked. I bet he loves working Menry.

So yeah, pretty great episode of Main Event this week. Combine that with the great and lengthy Kane/Bryan match that opened last week's show and I really hope this is the start of a turnaround for the show which had been getting a little forgettable at times over the last six months or so.

Good opener. Divas tag had some botchery, but some fine fanservice as well. The Show-Titus match had a highlight with Titus hitting his finish on Show, and the Taker-Heyman bit was amusing, but nothing special and Taker's looking really old in the singlet. Going back to his early slightly-bigger sleeveless shirt would be a wise move.

http://jayreviewsthings.blogspot.com/2014/03/wwe-main-event-live-3-18-14.html

Screens -

1dd50a315253360.jpg

8527f6315253323.jpg

251e4f315251505.jpg

http://www.imagebam.com/gallery/qoil6x7tg5dv6uf9g57osn8001mhqmbh

Opening tag Rhodes vs Americans was predictably excellent. I love the spot where Dustin runs over to tag out, and Cody can't do it because he's passed out on the floor.

Who are the heels here, anyway? I assume it's Claudio/Swagger, but the crowd loves to chant their slogan.

Titus vs Show -- forgettable but short. It does put over Show as a Monster, and Titus had a good dickish character moment when he started a sarcastic "Big Show" chant to mock the crowd.

Divas match was awful. Good to see Layla back. She appears to have put on weight -- "thick Layla" was a common phrase I saw on Twitter during the show. Funkadactyls have a wicked sexy entrance, best trashy entrance since The Beautiful People.

Heyman proves once again that he's a GOATC on the mic. But he's been giving this same speech two or three shows a week for a bit now, and it's getting tired.

Pretty great opening tag match again this week, that catch by Cesaro on Goldust that lead to the backbreaker was insane. Dude is mega strong. I skipped the divas match this time round as life is simply just too short, and I had the rematch of Satanico and El Dandy to see yet. Titus and Big Show had a fun few minutes, nothing special but they did a good job with their limited time. Main event promo was good, Undertaker still looks bad ass even at this age and I'm digging his new beard.

I haven't seen Main Event in months so it was good that I caught it tonight. That Rhodes Bros./Real Americans tag was awesome. They do the whole WWEDG (TM Segunda Caida) spotfest stuff first and let it bleed into a great extended heat segment with big hot tag to Cody, who really had the crowd behind him. Everything came off spotless. Cody sold the leg and Swagger even made the Crossroads look great by bouncing off the mat. It might end up being an asterisk in the run of tags that has been occurring in WWE these days but it'll be one to come back to. 

I think Layla did have work done, sadly, but it's still great to see her again. The ladies had their working boots on and there was only one botch, so I give it the thumbs up. Rare to say I enjoyed a Divas match but this was pretty solid. It looks like Sara Del Rey is working magic down there at the Performance Center. 

Nervous Heyman was great and Taker actually looks halfway decent. I chalk it up to the hawk.

Well that was rather weird.  They decided to mute the commentary for the 10 divas tag match with AJ as guest commentator.  You can hear the crowd and wrestlers but not the announcers.  Wonder if that happened in the live version and if not what would have caused the edit.