DVDVR Message Board

The WWE Main Event Thread

rzombie1988

Is Sandow the latest guy they're going to have complain about being held back but have them lose every week? The whole idea is that they should win every week but not get any title shots. Then they'd have a point.

Los Hijos Del J.O.B. Squad.

While I loved the crazy Alicia Fox gimmick there is two things that make no sense:

1.  Why is she always saying "underrated"?   I missed the part where people were calling Fox that except for maybe the IWC

2.  The gimmick is great but if she is still losing then it doesn't help much.  eventually they have to make her win if they are building toward Paige vs Fox at a PPV

While I loved the crazy Alicia Fox gimmick there is two things that make no sense:

1.  Why is she always saying "underrated"?   I missed the part where people were calling Fox that except for maybe the IWC

2.  The gimmick is great but if she is still losing then it doesn't help much.  eventually they have to make her win if they are building toward Paige vs Fox at a PPV

It reminds me more of the Jericho heel turn in WCW than anything else. If it leads to her screwing up people's names and calling Renee "Gene Mean" then I can fully get behind it.

I read #1 as her saying that about herself, not playing up the crowd ever voicing that opinion or anything.

Man, this week's show was just kinda DULL.  Heyman's always great, but that was about it.  Sandow-R-Truth just kinda dragged(went over ten minutes), Naomi-Aksana was rough, especially near the end.  Then the main event turned into an armwrestling contest that ended quickly with the predicable cheapshot.

I tuned in just in time for Usos/Wyatts.

The Wyatts start out with a promo. Luke Harper really cuts a good big crazy man cult follower interview.

This was a really good match, which I shouldn't even have to say at this point. They just kick and punch and beat the hell out of each other for a while until they get to the really fun finishing sequence, highlighted by the Usos doing their great dives. Match ends with Harper absolutely decapitating J(immy) Uso with his clothesline. It's an A+++ clothesline.Bray lays out one of the Usos post-match with Sister Abigail as Harper taunts him. 

Definitely worth watching.

• 2 weeks later...

This Seth Rollins promo on Main Event is AMAZING. I thought his Raw promo was good but this is a terrific heel promo. HHH asks him how it felt. Seth gets into it, talking about the power he felt when making the decision he did, and seeing the look on Dean's face after he crashed that chair into Roman's back. He then brags about how no one in the crowd has the guys to do what he did, dooming us to a lifetime of mediocrity just like Reigns and Ambrose. Seth wants to be the greatest wrestler who ever lived, and he will do absolutely anything -- including stabbing his brothers in the back -- to become just that. He then thanks HHH for the opportunity.

Seth's motivations just became clearer. It's not just about him climbing the corporate ladder, but it's that seduction of power. He had the power to destroy what he created, and that's what made him do it.

Dolph's retort is also really strong and fiery and pointed. Great segment.

Jimmy Uso vs. Luke Harper is really short but very good. Harper has an answer for everything Jimmy has for him. Jimmy tips his hand a bunch of times  -- The "OOOOOSSSEE" yell to the crowd before his Rikishi splash, for instance -- that come back to hurt him. Harper looks like a total beast, of course. End comes when Jimmy clocks Luke with a superkick to the jaw and rolls him up for a quick win. Good stuff. I'd love to see these guys get a 10-15 minute singles match.

I friggin' love Lana's act so much. I love it anytime when a heel manager tells the audience how fat they are. She also talks about how Russian woman look like her and American men are not attracted to their wives anymore because of her. (She has a point.)  Rusev/Kofi is a fun competitive squash match. Good power vs. speed story in this. Nothing amazing or anything, but just a very competent match.

Rollins/Ziggler is predictably terrific. Just so much good stuff in this -- Dolph's fired-up offense, Seth's asshole trash talk, etc. Watch this!

Definitely a fun show this week. Seth Rollins has definitely delivered so far, though they're obviously not sure how to dress him in ring yet. Used JTG's finisher, not a big deal but a sign if needed that JTG is done in WWE,

Rusev segments are getting a bit old; we all know Lana is hot and that it's all leading to John Cena so I just want it to get there. Unless they're planning the Kurt Angle special.

About his attire, he should at least start by dropping the tactical vest and just use the under armour like shirt he wears under it.

I really liked a moment during his promo where it looked as if Triple H was mouthing the exact same words Seth was saying, it looked as some kind of weird COO Triple H Possession. Then they shared douchebags smirks with each other while the crowd booed them, another great little moment.

It reminds me more of the Jericho heel turn in WCW than anything else. If it leads to her screwing up people's names and calling Renee "Gene Mean" then I can fully get behind it.

I'd love for her to start calling herself the Woman of 1004 Moves and do a segment where she reads all of her moves from a stack of computer paper.

Seth probably doesn't have the voice to be cutting promos. Well, for a main eventer anyway. He sounded like a teenager. Oy.

Paige and Naomi did a minute or so of doing the same move to get an EPOCH indy stand off we haven't seen the divas do since the last face vs face match. On the bright side, no botches from Naomi.

And if wasn't for them being too scared to book Sheamus as someone who loses or shows distress every now and then... But fuck it. Usos and Sheamus are like my dream 3 man team. Holy hell, what a kick ass group of ass kickers.

Man, Seth is SUCH a f'n douche in his opening promo. He's just such a smug prick and has incorporated this snide little laugh into his shtick. He makes the big announcement about the second MITB ladder match, with him -- of course -- as the first announced contestant. I love Dean's music. It fits him really well -- the opening guitar lick sounds like some an early period Motley Crew thing before it kicks in and it just feels so perfect when he comes out in his tank top and jeans. I love how he cups the mic and then when he smacks it down after he's done.

He's got an Austin vibe because of the jeans and street clothes and loose canon type of personality. I don't know if he's going to connect on a broader level -- Daniel Bryan's everyman against The Authority is the new Austin As Badass against Mr. McMahon, whereas Dean's just a badass crazy-man going against a former friend who sold him out. Dean could certainly get to that level -- awesome in the ring, awesome on the shtick with a legitimate presence about him that makes him seem dangerous. But getting to that upper stratus of stars requires a lot beyond what he can control.

Paige/Naomi is a really solid match and worth checking out. They do some Malenko/Guerrero type spots where both have each other scouted well. Naomi breaks out some things she's never done before -- a surfboard variation, what looks like a new finisher, etc. She took Paige seriously and ended up stealing a win as a result. And it hardly made Paige look weak, since this was a really competitive match. Post match, Paige offers Naomi a handshake while Cameron gloats. Paige hits Cameron while Naomi just stands by in disgust at her partner. Then she and Paige shake hands afterwards.

I'm totally fine with a Paige vs. Naomi match. Naomi's really athletic -- maybe more athletic than any other Diva -- and has showed a lot of potential in terms of turning that into something. But being athletic is just part of the game and she's been saddled by being in the ring with worthless trash like Aksana or in tag matches with the pretty dreadful Cameron. Paige and her had an actively good match. Good for her. I also like the Naomi/Cameron split, because it just adds more depth to the Divas stuff. Alicia Fox now has a defined personality. Now maybe we get that with the former Funkadactyls, too.

Bray and Harper had a -- GASP -- strong promo. Harper talked about hearing voices and having hallucinations. So friggin' awesome and insane. Sheamus and The Usos have a joint promo that's also very good. Man, the Usos are SO, SO, SO good at being babyface champions. I love those guys so much.

Wyatts vs. Usos/Sheamus is really friggin' good. These dudes beat the absolute crap out of each other and there's a lot of fun spots and great hot tags and etc. The match has a great structure in that Bray doles out orders for Rowan and Harper but gets very little in-ring time himself, only really hitting a cheap shot clothesline on the floor. The end comes when the Usos are doing their dives. Bray coyly tagged in Harper, rolling out of the ring after getting kicked in the mouth, and laid in wait for Jimmy to bounce off the ropes where he ran into Sister Abigail. Really great in that it shows Bray's deviousness.

• Like 1