DVDVR Message Board

The WWE Main Event Thread

rzombie1988

The show started off as more important than SmackDown! in my opinion. Every week they'd really build up a rivalry, for example they dedicated a show to Sheamus vs Wade Barrett that made them both seem like big stars and made the match seem huge. They'd have little clips featuring both guys and then present it as a legit PPV main event between two stars that were on the cusp but not quite there yet (Although of course Sheamus was there).

Kofi took the Intercontinental Championship from The Miz on an episode of Main Event too. I think the downfall started when Michael Cole stopped calling it (Thats an odd thing to say) just like NXT Main Events used to be bigger with JR calling them.

And let us not forget, it gave us Brad Maddox hopping the rail to commentate while Cole was bemused at him.

Edit: They'd also announce at the end of the show what the following weeks main event would be, that was a good touch.

• Like 1

The show started off as more important than SmackDown! in my opinion. Every week they'd really build up a rivalry, for example they dedicated a show to Sheamus vs Wade Barrett that made them both seem like big stars and made the match seem huge. They'd have little clips featuring both guys and then present it as a legit PPV main event between two stars that were on the cusp but not quite there yet (Although of course Sheamus was there).Kofi took the Intercontinental Championship from The Miz on an episode of Main Event too. I think the downfall started when Michael Cole stopped calling it (Thats an odd thing to say) just like NXT Main Events used to be bigger with JR calling them.And let us not forget, it gave us Brad Maddox hopping the rail to commentate while Cole was bemused at him.Edit: They'd also announce at the end of the show what the following weeks main event would be, that was a good touch.

Agreed. Definitely feels like it went the exact same way as Superstars with starting out big and turning into a clear C show. Like Superstars 1st show had Taker on it and later had Orton and Cena each have 1 match on there then ended up never having big names. Main Event was pretty much the same, Orton and Cena had their appearances early on and now the promoted match is like Ryder vs Langston.

Rare four-match episode this week.

Ambrose-Ziggler got good time...no Reigns/Rollins at ringside but Dean won clean anyway.

Not sure who I tolerate more as the color man, Miz or Riley...I'm fine with Josh, but I guess he's doing SOMETHING wrong as he's always booked in the announcer-gets-beat-up spots.

Random CONTINUITY~! as Tons Of Funk team up with Santino to get revenge for last week's handicap match loss to 3MB.

Sandow's not QUITE a face as he beat R-Truth...wish he'd pick a finisher and stick with it, he's gone from the Terminus to the Side Effect to the full nelson slam in the past few months.

Fandango lost to Khali...how the semi-mighty have fallen.  Natalya's back in Khali's corner...wonder if someone thinks a Khali-Tyson Kidd feud would be hilarious.

Total Divas would have been five billion times more entertaining if they'd had Khali in Jaret's role instead.

Tyson: What's this about you sending all these txts to Nattie? Don't you know she's with me?

Khali: dwoghennspiowuqenzqfhshwhaannrosurzzhrz!

Tyson: You're pissing me off. Do you want to step outside?

Khali: roueeqllsidydyywtqavxxxzadeffpodusaxnoty!

• Like 4

I skipped the girls match, but the two tags were both pretty great. The body of the actual main event was probably better, but the Wyatts vs PTP had a real nice hot tag and Darren Young really is a quality Ricky Morton tribute. Finish came maybe a little quick in that one, but I still really dug it.

The only highlight of the divas match is that Josh and Alex Riley actually had a conversation about Nikki trading Desean Jackson from her fantasy team and the "heat" it got in her league.  Yeah they are really struggling with things to talk about on this show at times

Is this Hunico/Camacho's first match back?  Looked really good

Watched the show this week..

- idk I am just not sold on the Wyatt act yet. The two big fucks are doing too much. And for a couple of guys who wears dirty clothes, they sure look like they wash their asses after every show. Someone make them roll around in some mud or something before the show. idk, it just comes across as too dated. This kind of act is like early 90's stuff. That being said, Jebus, is Titus full of so much potential as a babyface that is actually likable. The only thing harder to find than a decent commentator these days is a babyface you want to root for. Fuck you guys rooting for a Ziggles big push, give it to Titus. The guy actually has presence. You can't fake having or be taught how to have presence.

- I thought the Divas started off cool. Then it kinda went too long and it slowly started to fall apart. Nikki is the charisma part of the Bellas and is much more athletic than Brie. But it is Brie that obviously cares a lot more. The crowd seemed into it for what it's worth. idk Nikki's body is like perfect, tho.

- The Uso's acting like dicks to those other guys was awesome. I thought the match was too long and it was weird that they were trying to make Camacho bigger than he is. The Uso's dwarfed him. And there's something off about a little guy doing power moves to me.

- Alex Riley is the worst.

Not even Mark Henry...it seems like I see it all the time nowadays where a smaller guy can knock a bigger guy down with a single clothesline.  Work for it and it'll mean more when the big guy DOES go down.

I remember watching a match at an indy show where a bigger guy took a 360 bump off a clothesline from a guy MUCH smaller than him.  That sound you heard was at least one law of physics imploding.

Yeah, that Wyatts/PTP match was heck of solid. Darren Young was getting mangled for the face in peril portion, Titus did a good job with the hot tag and then goodnight. Better than the match they had a few weeks back on Raw (I think?).

Both of the tags were really good.

Little disappointed that the Wyatts didn't do the millions of dollars dance after they won though.

Camacho's a big dude.  You don't notice how thick he is because of his outfit.  Same for Rowan.  That guy's a monster with huge legs but you don't notice because he's dressed like a garbageman.

Hunico looked really sharp.  Glad he's back.  Would like to see him and Camacho against the Rhodes Boys.  Maybe even turn them good and match them against the Real Americans.

Maybe even turn them good and match them against the Real Americans.

They've got enough face teams since they turned Primo and Epico.  Getting Hunico and Camacho back gives them a nice balance of five face teams and five heel teams, which has to be the largest the tag division has been since the '80s.  Just in time for Survivor Series too!  C'mon WWE, let's go really old school, 10 team elimination match!  I know it'll never happen, but I'd mark the hell out if they did it.

• 3 weeks later...

Goldust vs Ryback is worth seeking out. It's not a great match. I thought Goldust's control armwork was good. Ryback's transitions were fairly uninteresting and mainly consisted of him using his physical presence to bully his way back on top. When they hit the stretch run, Goldust had a hard time hitting some of his spots on Ryback and Ryback seemed a little lost once or twice. The flipside is that a lot of what Goldust did both on offense and in selling was really good: there was one ducked clothesline into a roll up which was one of the smoothest things I've seen all year. I'd seen some concerns that Ryback simply didn't have enough offense to make his part of the match interesting and I think that did bear out on some level. Still, it was an interesting experiment and one of the maybe three WWE goldust singles matches we've gotten this year so it's worth checking out.

Is it me or has Alicia Fox gotten better? She had that great tilt-a-whirl backbreaker at the Survivor Series that looked liked she killed JoJo. Then she had a great spot last night where she blasted Nattie in the face with a kick after the kip up.

• Like 3