DVDVR Message Board

The WWE Main Event Thread

rzombie1988

Really enjoyed Naomi vs. Nikki Bella this week. Nicely-timed cheapshot by Brie leads into a segment of leg work by Nikki. Naomi sells it and makes the one-legged comeback en route to a flash pin upset.

I loved the opening minute. Naomi tries to take Nikki down via traditional wrestling shit so Nikki just throws her into a corner and clotheslines the shit out of her.

Don't usually watch Main Event, but someone recommended Paige vs Nikki from the beginning of the year. Really stiff, well worked match. Nikki does some nifty armwork and Paige takes a couple of nasty bumps. Finish is a little awkward, but it's a treat to see the Divas given time to tell a story and deliver. Between this and Cesaro/Sin Cara, I'll have to start keeping up with the show.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Bo Dallas says London is BO-ring.  He also looks like he hasn't slept in a fortnight.  I just like saying fortnight.  Hey, Zach Ryder.  Bring out Brad Maddox for the underused talent three way match.  They have a nice and compact five minute match that Bo steals with his performance being a sneaky wretch.  The Bo Dog finishes and its a finisher that doesn't fit Bo at all... and it kind of fits because it doesn't.  Because Bo's a weirdo.

Emma and Layla do a thing and I don't know if Layla was as surprised as I was that she was working.  Emma does an interesting escape from a wristlock and Layla responds by suckering her in for a forearm.  JBL and Cole derail the match entirely with blather but the talent brings me back with a nice kick exchange before Layla gets the hometown win a la Layout. 

Uso versus Xavier Woods was middle of the road.  The New Day have a new lease on life as heels and Xavier did a decent job here which is probably the best I've seen ever seen him perform.  Yes, it is faint praise.  Jimmy probably needs to dial back on the dancing between stuff and his Samoan drop was loose as loose could be.   Finishing sequence was bleh since Xavier left too much room between the tumble and the superkick counter.

First time I ever saw Rusev he worked Ziggler on NXT and it turned out pretty good with Rusev hitting this sick spinwheel kick and missing a top rope splash.  I don't know what the hell Dolph is wearing to the ring but he came off like a cheap version of Triple H with a jean vest over a sweat shirt.  If anyone is interested, Steve Austin has a nice discussion about Dolph and his DDT this week on the podcast.  Doing it for the working man.  I don't think anything happened before the commercial break worth noting which is why I'm babbling. 

Stuff happens like you would expect with not a whole lot being interesting other than a nice counter to a rocker dropper into a back suplex.  Dolph is just too interested in getting his shit in sometimes that it comes off as being artificial.  Rusev should have gotten the pin after his superkick but we continue because its not a finisher. Belly-to-belly suplex could have also been a finish but that's not the way this promotion works.  NICE kick to the inside of the knee sets up the Accolade and I'm fine with that.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You guys weren't kidding about the Cesaro/Sin Cara match from Feb 10th. It was all kinds of awesome, a smorgasbord of styles.

It's kinda sad that Sin Cara is so limited on the main roster with having to work with just a high flying style when he clearly is so much more multifaceted. Even when he was moonlighting as Hunico, I don't remember him showing much of a technical style either.

• 3 weeks later...

Naomi debuted(?) a pretty neat bow-and-arrow/Stretch Muffler submission on this week's show.

I dug it. And probably one of Summer Rae's best singles matches since she got called up to the main roster. Really good chemistry between the two 

• 4 weeks later...

Two pretty lengthy matches on this week's episode.  R-Truth vs. Bo was secondary to Bo's gloriously horrible attempt to rap...has to be seen/heard to be believed.  Then New Day vs. Lucha Dragons got around 15 minutes, good stuff.

Brie vs. Becky Lynch is the main event on, er, Main Event. It's decent. Becky works Brie's arm to start the match. Brie counters with a lot of veteran know-how (including a decent dropkick from the corner). They get to a series of counters and roll-ups and Becky catches Brie with the Disarmer on the arm she worked on earlier. (Brie escaped it before by getting a rope break.) It would have better if Brie sold her arm at all the rest of the match. I"m not asking for like Roman Reigns against Luke Harper or anything like that. But just an occasional "I have to shake out the arm I just used because it hurts anytime I use it" sorta thing would have been nice to keep the audience focused on what Becky's strategy is and why it ended up working. It wasn't bad, but just some of those added nuances would have made this into a pretty tight match.

The best part about this, though, is Lawler's commentary. You can just tell he got dressed down or something and told to cool it with his horn-dog creepshow routine. He said a few things: "This match could cause golbal warming!" or some such. But he generally tried to just call this like any other match. He's absolutely dreadful at that sort of thing at this point, and the has clearly never watched NXT. But it was a bit jarring to hear this.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...