DVDVR Message Board

The WWE Main Event Thread

rzombie1988

Just watched Truth vs Barrett, that was really bloody good. One of the better matches I've seen on WWE TV lately, top marks for both guys.

Edit:

Finished the rest of Main Event, the tag match was really good too. I know they've worked each other a ton, so it should be a good matchup by now, but I thought this rocked. Darren Young took a mental bump over the top rope, and the finish looked lovely. Lots of shenanigans at the start too to keep it interesting, great fun.

The show had:

The Shield vs The Uso's and Mark Henry
Natalya vs Aksana
Sin Cara vs Curtis Axel - 17-Minute match

I reviewed the show here:
http://prowresblog.blogspot.com/2013/08/wwe-main-event-872013-results-and-review.html

Overall thoughts: The show was fine as a whole. There were 2 good matches and the last match would have been better with less time.

Some shots from the show:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

The Shield match and follow-up promo was awesome. Throwing those dudes into 6-men matches is a guaranteed great time. That match was really well built. I *LOVED* the hot tag at the end w/ the Uso on the apron going nuts and Mark spiritedly reaching for the tag, getting in and wrecking shop. The end was so great -- the strong-man pulling down Henry, giving The Shield that one little second to steal the pin. Blame it on ring general Henry -- he could have his a World's Strongest Slam on Ambrose and won that thing but wanted the Uso to hit the Superfly.

Seriously, that match was awesome.

Put aside that they never win, but 3MB are fucking great.

I don't like Jinder, but I agree about Drew & Heath. Actually, Heath Slater is one of my favorite guys in all of WWE right now. He's a good heel. He has great facial expressions, he bumps his ass off, he seems really safe. Plus, as a fan, more importantly than all of that, he's damn entertaining. There's a reason why all the returning legends leading up to RAW 1,000 were wrestling Heath Slater & not someone else. Heath also has one of those faces that you kind of just want to punch over & over again, which makes him a hilarious heel. Great jobber & something that all promotions needs, in my opinion.

• Like 1

I guess it's because I grew up with the "real" jobbers like Frank Williams, but I never consider guys like 3MB jobbers, even though that's what they do. But they have a gimmick, music , get some offense, and are rarely ever squashed in 1-2 minutes. It's a total generational thing, I guess.

Guys back in the day had gimmicks, sorta. Horowitz's was patting himself on the back. Koko had a gimmick - he had a bird, and a tendency to lose a lot once the '80s ended. The Goon was a total jobber and was nothing but a gimmick act.

WWE Main Event 8/21/13 had:
The Shield vs The Uso's and Kofi Kingston
AJ Lee vs Naomi
The Great Khali vs Jack Swagger

Bray Wyatt vs Justin Gabriel

I reviewed the show here: http://prowresblog.blogspot.com/2013/08/wwe-main-event-8212013-results-and.html

Overall thoughts: Good show overall with the first two matches being good.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Hopefully a GIF is made of Naomi's attempt at a springboard clothesline. I wasn't expecting that.

Khali/Swagger was the best part of the show. Between Cesaro's selling of the chop and Zeb's promo before the match.

I wish they booked Main Event week to week with its own little tiny TV programs. For instance Khali - Hornswoggle - Natalya vs. Cesaro - Swagger - Zeb in WWE's version of a WAR six man would be awesome for next week.

I wish they booked Main Event week to week with its own little tiny TV programs. For instance Khali - Hornswoggle - Natalya vs. Cesaro - Swagger - Zeb in WWE's version of a WAR six man would be awesome for next week.

There should be a ton of older Main Event/Superstars only guys who they bring in to flesh out the roster a bit. Ace Steel should be running around with a cowbell as Khali covers his ears for the noise. Chris Hamrick should be doing the Hamrick bump off a Heath Slater air guitar solo. They should reunite Too Cool and run a long feud with 3MB which ends with a Moog Synthesizer on a Pole match. They're not trying hard enough.

WWE Main Event 9/4/13 had:
Fandango vs Justin Gabriel
Damien Sandow vs R-Truth
The Wyatt Family vs The Prime Time Players

Overall thoughts: This was good. The big moment of the show was Justin Gabriel piledriving himself on the outside on a failed dive. DS vs Truth started out bad but picked up big time though and the main was good.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Main Event 9/11/13 had:
Antonio Cesaro vs Kofi Kingston
3MB vs The Prime Time Players
R-Truth vs Big E Langston

I reviewed the show here: http://prowresblog.blogspot.com/2013/09/wwe-main-event-9112013-results-and.html

Overall thoughts: Cesaro/Kofi was great and the big highlight here. Don't miss that match. The tag was fine too so overall it was a good episode of main event.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I reviewed WWE Main Event 9/18/2013 here:
http://prowresblog.blogspot.com/2013/09/wwe-main-event-9182013-results-and.html

The show had:
Curtis Axel vs Dolph Ziggler
Fandango vs Kofi Kingston
Damien Sandow vs Justin Gabriel

Overall thoughts: This was fine but there wasn't anything must see here. Dolph/Axel was the highlight.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Catching up on Main Event shows and I know people groan at this talk but man Triple H absolutely destroyed the Miz in that WWE.com interview with Cole.  He just completely took the Miz's manhood and rip it out of him by saying that he is a loud mouth who can't back it up in a fight.   when Cole mentions that what Miz does is similar to the things Triple H did early in his career, Trips said that he could back it up physically and Miz never has and never will.

Solid show this week, but the overall importance of ME has really gone off the cliff.  At one point I would have put it on the same relevance level as Smackdown.  Now it's just another B show(albeit one that's on actual television).  The feature matches went from Punk vs. Sheamus, Cena, and Orton to Santino vs. Sandow.

• Like 1