DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

-Ultimate Warrior vs Goldust (In Your House: Good Friends, Better Enemies, 4/28/96)

I have no recollection of that Goldust match. 

I was at that PPV and I don't know if this actually happened but my only memory is everyone taking turns sitting in Marlena's chair and smoking her cigar and no actual match happened.

-Ultimate Warrior vs Goldust (In Your House: Good Friends, Better Enemies, 4/28/96)

I have no recollection of that Goldust match. 

I was at that PPV and I don't know if this actually happened but my only memory is everyone taking turns sitting in Marlena's chair and smoking her cigar and no actual match happened.

Dust hurt his knee coming to the ring or on the European tour, so they improvised something. They had a match on Raw a few weeks later. 

And Bockwinkle did a fine job with the material he was given in WCW.

I can't think of anyone else who improved so much in such a short time. Reigns was pretty useless in FCW.

EDIT: Just realized I read "Rowan" as "Roman," and thought we were talking about Reigns. Either way, I think Roman Reigns went from not very good to kind of awesome in less than a year.

Rick Rude went from pretty meh in the ring to pretty badass in a fairly short amount of time in my opinion. I don't remember him being much of anything when he was in World Class or NWA and the first few months of his WWF stint. Then in 1988, he got damn good.

Rick Rude went from pretty meh in the ring to pretty badass in a fairly short amount of time in my opinion. I don't remember him being much of anything when he was in World Class or NWA and the first few months of his WWF stint. Then in 1988, he got damn good.

I'm in the "Rude was always awesome" camp myself..

Yeah, he was decent in Florida and Memphis, better in World Class, and half of the greatest team ever in Crockett.

Did Rowan go from completely terrible to pretty damn good faster than anyone in history? He was pretty useless when The Wyatts first got called up but I'm loving his monster heel stuff now.

Nah, Rowan was never as bad as people convinced themselves after a handful of Wyatt appearances.  He was perfectly fine in NXT and after starting on Raw, people jumped all over him because he didn't cut promos like Wyatt and didn't wrestle like Harper (Which would be like hating on Cesaro because he doesn't wrestle as good as Bryan or deliver intense promos as good as Cena).  In short, he was never as bad as people made him out to be.

• Like 1

Rowan's work sort of reminds me of Kamala a little bit in that the stuff he does is so simple and so character based that it is sometimes hard to tell if he is a good worker or not. I think he has done a great job thus far of playing to his strengths in the ring and he has avoided situations that would expose him. He has pretty good timing and will probably end up being pretty good, especially in tag settings.

All that being said, I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up being repackaged once the Wyatt family stuff has run its course. Harper can basically stay the same, but Rowan seems currently a little expendable without his running buddies.

Yeah, he was decent in Florida and Memphis, better in World Class, and half of the greatest team ever in Crockett.

I don't think he was terrible or anything but he seemed to take a huge leap from "guy who has decent matches sometimes" to "awesome worker" pretty quickly. I can't think of too many standout matches he had pre-Mania 5. From then on, he was money.

Rowan's work sort of reminds me of Kamala a little bit in that the stuff he does is so simple and so character based that it is sometimes hard to tell if he is a good worker or not. I think he has done a great job thus far of playing to his strengths in the ring and he has avoided situations that would expose him. He has pretty good timing and will probably end up being pretty good, especially in tag settings.

All that being said, I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up being repackaged once the Wyatt family stuff has run its course. Harper can basically stay the same, but Rowan seems currently a little expendable without his running buddies.

Interesting point. I guess he is limited by the character he plays. He has to play it fairly simple to stay within the confines of his character. If that's what he's doing, I love that he seems to be growing every week and the announcers really should play it up that he's getting better due to Bray's tutelage.

I honestly think that we'll see a rematch between the Shields & Wyatt Family, some sort of stipulation match. I bet that's when Roman turns, too. Pop would be humongous at WrestleMania for his face turn. Fits better at this point than a short feud with Cena. Add another month of building up the six man war and my god... fuck, I'd feel like I'm cheating WWE for just getting 'Mania for $10.

Interesting point. I guess he is limited by the character he plays. He has to play it fairly simple to stay within the confines of his character. If that's what he's doing, I love that he seems to be growing every week and the announcers really should play it up that he's getting better due to Bray's tutelage.

They have a few times in the past.

I say put the belts on the Uso's and give us Uso's - Rowan/Harper at Wrestlemania

Would love to see this.