DVDVR Message Board

Dream Tag-Teams

cwoy2j

I'd also like to see a southern brawling team of Stan Hansen and Bradshaw.

Daniel Bryan could have a lot of great potential partners. I'd like to see him with Regal or Finlay (or Benoit if you're ok with that)

Come to think of it, it's too bad Regal and Finlay spent most of their careers fighting each other (as awesome as it was) instead of making a badass Euro-shoot team. I think they were briefly aligned in Booker T's stable in 2006, but can you imagine late 90s Finlay and a sober Regal with more of a Wade Barrett gimmick than a blue blood gimmick? 

So many close calls, but there's only one best tag team that never was.  You need HBK from before he became selfish, being flung from post to post and selling like a trooper.  Then, like some bellowing half-blind idiot god, Stan Hansen comes in to clear house.  They can even have matching cowboy hats and work a homoerotic big brother/little brother routine.

So, whose idea of a dream tag team is Marc Mero & Tommy Dreamer?

The rationale that the magazine article gave was that they were both good looking guys who were a lot tougher than they looked which I guess could apply to the Dreamer of 1997. He did manage to snag Beulah.

I guess some of those teams look weird b/c there's not a discernible reason they should be together. Here's what I remember from the article for some of them. Keep in mind this is 1997 and it was written in kayfabe :

Sid/Hall-both underachievers as Hall never won a world title and Sid never had a lengthy reign. Both big guys who used a powerbomb variant. The article predicted that they'd have short-term success but would implode due to Sid's temper.

Malenko/Taz and Owen/Eddy--Superior technical/aerial wrestlers who don't get much recognition due to their lack of size.

Mongo/Dr. Death--former football players

Nash/Hawk--two big guys who relied on sheer size and force of personality to climb to the top.

Luger/Ahmed--two muscleheads. Magazine said it would likely fail b/c it would turn into a daily lifting competition and both guys have huge egos. Luger's team with Sting succeeded b/c Sting could put up with Luger but Ahmed likely wouldn't.

I think the others are pretty self-explanatory

The cool thing about tags is that you can make great tags with good/solid workers who understand tag team wrestling, but when you put two great wrestlers on a tag the tag ends up never being as great as both guys individually.