DVDVR Message Board

Matches which unleash your inner ghoul

For my money, I honestly think this match smokes both the Honma/Yamakawa classics. 

A big part of what makes that great is that they do nothing particularly noteworthy for the first half of the match, you kind of start thinking "Oh I guess this won't be much," and then without warning things go UTTERLY INSANE around 13:40.  Like you would literally think Honma split his head open, and he looks just as shocked about it as anyone else.

Sabu & Sheik vs. Onita & Tarzan Goto in a real inferno match -

I remember finding this match on a comp I got a long time ago and being amazed that they pretty much called it off right away before the arena burned down.  They did a match like this in IWA-MS and Ian Rotten took a bump into the wire and afterwards had a scar that looked like he'd had a barbed wire tattooed into his back.

Probably on that same comp tape there was also this match between Gedo & Jedo vs Yukihiro Kanemura & Shoji Nakamaki (starts around 42:00)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARSC9fzYBmo

I think Sheik ended up in the hospital due to that fire match if I recall. 

Anyway, I had the above BJW tag on a Schneider comp so I busted it out instead of wasting my net time on Youtube. That match is damn good. Whoever said it had nothing going on initially was wrong, it follows that BJW period's psychology of "first we prove we can wrestle, then we destroy each other". I mean there is a crazy tope con hilo over the post by Winger within the first couple minutes, then they just get to beating on each other. The wacky double-suplex-into-rollup is a good transition -- the wrestling is over, now the bloodfeast begins. I still don't know if Honma bladed in midair or ate the barbed wire badly on that first big bump from him. Yamakawa picking glass out of his arm and Winger getting his wrist slit is so goddamned ghastly. We also get a great intro with the glowing tubes and several promos. And of course, Yamakawa's getup. Top notch! 

See the Watching thread for part two of today's reviews. Snow Day, more to come!

Goddam, Monster fucking Ripper had a big PR run and some of it is on the internet!  Here, Susan Green takes an ass-beating and blades like a CHAMP.  Who knew that ladies are on the list of PR Stadium brawls.  This is quality.

The Volcano of Blood match - this is still thrilling. Put this on at a party full of non-fans and watch them shut their yaps. So many good stories, rumors and legends about this, but the best is this: it's just another angle.

bless you Raging Bull,

RAF

Now THAT's a heel. . . 

looking back on it, it seems like having JBL & HHH holding belts at the same time was a good time if you wanted major title matches involving blade jobs.

No comment about the strategic brilliance of "I'll just go to the door now, instead of pulling JBL out of the hole and pinning him, oh damnit, he crawled to the ringside area and won"

• Like 1

Probably on that same comp tape there was also this match between Gedo & Jedo vs Yukihiro Kanemura & Shoji Nakamaki (starts around 42:00)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARSC9fzYBmo

just watched that tonight after listening to an old SC podcast where they asked what was more fucked up between that and the Invader/Manny angle. And the sliding on the gasoline just made the scene more fucked up, It's like what you'd expect if North Korea booked a wrestling federation and made their prisoners wrestle each other surrounded by torches. Looking back on it, it's just thoroughly fucked up.

For those wanting to know, 75% of Kanemura's back/skin tissue got burned off there. Kanemura had a very fucked up 1993 between that and the Sullivan angle.

Not sure how Japanese health care works for insane death match workers, or how much lying has to occur at the hospital.

I like a good gore match as anyone, but the ones with plates of glass or light bulbs send a chill down my spine.  To each their own and all that. . . . 

Ah! Speaking of which, the very first one: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AXrLthFsZY

I trust everyone knows how to find the other two files. 

In looking for that I found both Kobashi and Akiyama vs. the Headhunters in AJPW and Danny Davis and Headhunter A vs. Dr. Tom Prichard and Headhunter B in W*ING if you want your WAR matchup fix for the day.