DVDVR Message Board

UFC on Fox 10: Henderson vs. Thomson (1/25/2014) - Chicago, IL (United Center)

Elsalvajeloco

Hope to watch Henderson/Thomson ASAP. Would you say it was a controversal decision? Here's the judges scoring and scoring in the MMA media:

http://mmadecisions.com/decision/4844/Benson-Henderson-vs-Josh-Thomson

In the past Bendo's won two decisions, I don't think he should have....possibly three.

I had it 3 rounds to 2 for Henderson, but I could see giving Josh 1, 2, and 4.

Ditto.

Edited by The Natural

Also what about Cerrone vs. Nurmagomedov?

I prefer Nurmagomedov vs. Bendo much better since Bendo's ranked higher, but I wouldn't mind this since even though Nurmagovmedov ragdolls Cerrone all over the cage.

Also I have no idea how  I'd score Bendo/Thomson since I didn't honestly pay that much attention to it, but I know it was pretty uneventful and uninteresting.

I had 3-2 Thomson. Not surprised Mr.Decision got the W though.

By my count, that's four now for Benson:

vs. Cerrone I

vs. Edgar II

vs. Melendez

vs. Thomson

C'mon, was that first fight with Cerrone that controversial?  I'd say Bendo pretty solidly won that.

I had 3-2 Thomson. Not surprised Mr.Decision got the W though.

By my count, that's four now for Benson:

vs. Cerrone I

vs. Edgar II

vs. Melendez

vs. Thomson

C'mon, was that first fight with Cerrone that controversial?  I'd say Bendo pretty solidly won that.

Not as much as the others. I thought Cerrone won but I haven't watched it in a long time.

I did not think Bendo beat Cerrone but I did have Edgar winning both of his fights against Bendo, but yeah the second being the worse of the two decisions.  The second Edgar fight and the Melendez fight were the worse of the Bendo decision wins in my opinion. 

Y'all are talking mostly about those old ones though and this was a lot less controversial than any of those previous ones though.

Also Thomson's contemplating retirement. Of course he won't retire though and he's just venting out frustration.

I can't think of a fight that seemed to be viewed so differently from the people who watched it on TV to the people in the arena.  Rogan, Goldberg, and the judges somehow thought Henderson won handily, but almost everyone who watched it on TV thought it was either Thomson winning or at least a very narrow Henderson victory.  I thought it was very close and while I'm not offended by the decision, I thought Thomson pulled it out.  I really don't think positional grappling gets enough credit from the judges, and taking a guys back should be looked at the same as a knockdown.  It sucks for Thomson, that guy has been a really good fighter forever, and this seemed like his best opportunity to get a UFC title, but that is probably down the drain. 

It was close and it's not a robbery or anything but a lot of the argument I'm hearing is pretty much the worst argument a person can make- Thomson took Bendo down and took his back on more than one occasion but wasn't able to do anything with the position.  Sure, that is true that he wasn't able to sub Henderson in those scenarios but you can't completely discount that position.  They weren't equals in that position so you can't disregard it and score it as if they were equals.  Henderson didn't want to be taken down and subsequently give up his back.  But that's what happened.      

It was close and it's not a robbery or anything but a lot of the argument I'm hearing is pretty much the worst argument a person can make- Thomson took Bendo down and took his back on more than one occasion but wasn't able to do anything with the position.  Sure, that is true that he wasn't able to sub Henderson in those scenarios but you can't completely discount that position.  They weren't equals in that position so you can't disregard it and score it as if they were equals.  Henderson didn't want to be taken down and subsequently give up his back.  But that's what happened.      

This is 100% true, if he was to took Henderson down and sat in his guard and accomplished nothing it would be one thing, but being able to take a guys back is very significant.  If someone lands more jabs than a person everyone automatically recognizes that they won the round, but that is equivalent to taking a guy down and laying in guard.  A guy who lands some good leg kicks, and a couple of good power shots should be equivalent to taking a guy down and passing guard.  A knockdown is equivalent to getting either mount or backmount which is basically the best thing next to a submission in the grappling aspect of MMA.  Can we get this news to the athletic commissions?

• Like 1

I agree that getting the body triangle and locking up the back was great. Knockdown worthy? Not so sure about that. Benson while in the lock, got up with Thomson on him and was able to calmly shake him off, and even fix his hair. I have to think efficient striking more valuable. If Thomson would have even gave him a couple good strikes while basically controlling  Benson I'd totally be a different story. 

I agree that getting the body triangle and locking up the back was great. Knockdown worthy? Not so sure about that. Benson while in the lock, got up with Thomson on him and was able to calmly shake him off, and even fix his hair. I have to think efficient striking more valuable. If Thomson would have even gave him a couple good strikes while basically controlling  Benson I'd totally be a different story. 

The scoring is supposed to judge effective striking and grappling, and how else do you judge effectiveness of grappling if not rewarding dominant positioning?  I think what you are describing it should have been judged like a flash knockdown, where the guy gets knocked down and gets up pretty quickly.  Effective grappling should be just as important as effective striking, so if a fighter doesn't need to grapple to get credit for his striking prowess, a fighter shouldn't have to strike to get credit for the effectiveness of his grappling.  If you can't stop a guy from taking you down, passing your guard, and mounting you or taking your back you should lose just like if you can't stop eating punches and kicks.  Thomson, much to my surprise completely outclassed Henderson grappling, and I don't think he was rewarded properly for it.

• Like 1