DVDVR Message Board

The storyline seems to be that Orton is paranoid that the Authority is bringing back people like Brock and Batista because they have no faith in him and want to replace him as the "face of the WWE". It makes some sense for the guy they have lined up to be Batista. Bryan wins the Rumble, HHH orchestrates switching the title from Orton to Batista at Elimination Chamber, and Batista reveals being aligned with the Authority in the build to Wrestlemania would be a good storyline. Sheamus in that role in Batista would also make sense.

They should do an angle where an anonymous person has placed a bounty on CM Punk, encouraging the entire roster to gang up on him. The revelation that it was, unsurprisingly, HHH who put up the money should provide the storyline leverage for Punk to get a Wrestlemania match.

This show was ok. 6-man was fun, and god damn, that Usos/Wyatts slugfest was great. That sequence with Jey and Harper was absolute gold, but all four guys just have oddly great chemistry. Luke Harper is the brawler of the future.

Does Billy Gunn have worse cardio than The Rock did last year? It looked like he was taking rest spots every minute or so.

Lesnar/Show sequence was good for what it was. If you blank Lesnar throwing Show around with ease 11 years ago from your mind, this was a pretty good segment to build their match. Lesnar still bumping for every penny on his contract. 

Batista got a nice comeback pop, but he's in trouble if he stays paired up with heat vacuums like Orton and Del Rio. I still don't think the fans are gonna tolerate him getting pushed over Bryan long-term regardless, but having programs with those two is only going to speed up crowds turning on him.

Overall, this show left me on the fence about the Rumble. Could be an amazing show, but there's several things that could really suck the life out of it too. I'm most confident in Lesnar/Show delivering. Brock's done nothing but bring it the last two years, and Show usually gets up for high profile matches. Only thing that could kill that is Show winning for some inexplicable reason. Bryan/Bray should be solid. Bryan's the safest of safe bets for a decent match, but Bray will really have to step it up to look like he belongs here. Cena/Orton will have very low expectations which could work in their favor. The build has been terrible, and their last match was pretty subpar by their standards, but hopefully they have enough pride to deliver an inspired match and not get overshadowed too much. If they mail it in, it's gonna be ugly. The biggest concern is naturally the Rumble. I'm not ruling out a Bryan win which would redeem any quality of show, but I'm still skeptical. I can guarantee you if Bryan's not out by #30 and any other music besides Bryan's hits, there will be an audible groan from the crowd. Perhaps it could be saved by a big name, but I wouldn't be surprised if there are noticeable Bryan chants if the final group is unimpressive.

I loved Heyman and Lesnar walking up the alley looking like Bane and The Penguin.

Billy Gunn looking more and more like Randy The Ram by the week... 

Batista returned... or was it Pitbull?

Pitbull-20130531-155.jpg

As soon as Batista hit the ring, my first thought was, "Wow, Pitbull's been hitting the juice".  Glad I'm not the only one who thought of Pitbull.

Has Rey even worked a match in the last 3 years that wasn't with Del Rio? How is it that Rey is essentially a part timer at this point and they've made every one of his appearances forgettable by pairing him with a somehow less interesting Randy Orton?

My prediction for Mania is Bryan v. Lesnar. I don't know how they get there but that for me is the most intriguing matchup.  That's the way they can keep the title off of Bryan but still appease the fans.

Not digging the return of the outlaws in a wrestling capacity. It exposes the business when the Best in the World who is already undersized is giving 50/50 offense to a 50 year old retired out of shape wrestler.

The looks of things makes me think that they gonna put on another 'names over risk' Wrestlemania. Not that Wrestlemania has been a barn burner for the lasr decade or so, but I am still waiting for them to grow a pair and stop cutting the legs off of new guys. How demoralizing must it be that no matter how good you are, some old fart can just come along and take your Wrestlemania spot? Some guys were meant to be jobbers, but what about the guys who work every show?

It's getting really annoying as a viewer knowing that I've been conditioned to think during the most important time for the company, all of the roster has a 100% chance of being left out on the cold because some one who hasn't been around all year wants a WM payday.

I am holding out hope that with a lightning in the bottle talent getting over and getting relegated because of part timers, along with the Network moving away from the PPV "buyrates are important" model that this might be the last Mania that is loaded with part-timers they know will pop a buy.

You could just imagine how ADR felt. He created a little feud with Batista which culminated with a 60-second segment where Batista powerbombed him with ease.

Jericho says at least he got a 60 second segment.

Also, this feud probably isn't over.  If Batista isn't winning the Rumble, ADR probably is the one who eliminates him.

You win.

I did it... For the Danks. I did it... For the people.

I never knew I'd enjoy being the damsel in distress as much as I do right now.

Can't say I was super into this show. Nothing really stood out at all. Rey vs Del Rio is so overdone. I love Rey and think ADR is better than people give him credit for. Not sure how to pull it off but I wouldn't mind seeing them as a team. Del Rio also looked like the biggest chump after the Batista bomb. They need to make the main event of Smackdown ADR vs Batista. Give the dude a warm up before the PPV.

I'm getting the feeling they have no clue how to posistion Bryan going forward.

I watched the Batista and the Daniel Bryan stuff on WWE's youtube. Did Batista and Rey do anything on the show? I know Rey was fighting Del Rio before Batista came down to fuck ADR up. I thought it would have been cool if  Rey and Batista had a little moment since they had so much history together.

So glad he's back. If he's on for two years, it'll be perfect for him to start as returning hero and then turn him into vengeful egomaniac after the movie is over and done with. Then maybe I can get a proper Punk/Batista rematch.

So, I'm not super-into Marvel space stuff, but isn't Drax at best an anti-hero and at worst an out-and-out villain? Why does Batista have to be Smilin' Dave to promote a movie where he's that sort of character? Him hugging that dude at ringside and then shaking hands just seems so jarring given that the last we saw of Batista, he was raking Cena over the coals for "kissing babies and hugging fat girls"?

I think they're keeping Bryan on light duty because of his concussion, whether he's in the Rumble may depend on how his brain heels between now and then. But I still don't think he'll be in it mostly because of his concussion.

How great would it be if Punk comes out at one, Bryan comes out at two, Sheamus comes out at three, and Brogue kicks both over the top rope within 17 seconds of him being in the match? 

By great I mean awful, but the crowd shitting on it for the next hour would be pretty ok. 

• Like 2