DVDVR Message Board

The Big Game v.48

Dolfan in NYC

Maybe this year but what about the previous year where Kaepernick ran for 181 yards 2TDs and threw for 263 yards with 2 more TDs? I think he has a higher ceiling than Alex and that's how Harbaugh felt. I have nothing against Alex.

Alex had one full year in Jim's system. His QB rating jumped up nearly ten points in that year to the highest it had ever been. The year Smith got benched he had a 104 QB rating and only five int's. Alex Smith would have won in Indy if his defense didn't collapse. I'm not sure what Smith's "ceiling" is since Kaep lost his game for his team (three turnovers, etc) than Smith lost his game for his team. I have a lot of concerns when it comes to Colin throwing the ball. You have to throw the ball to win in the NFL its just the way it is. He's not going to have Gore for the rest of his career (or for much more of it) and that defense won't always be there to keep things low. He dropped 400 on Green Bay because at this point he's what 3-0 against them? They can't beat him period. However he doesn't even have another 300 yard until the last game of the season. He threw for for 203 yards or lower ELEVEN times. His completion percentage was under 60 percent this year. My biggest concern is that Colin has done almost absolutely nothing from an NFL starting QB standpoint in the pocket. Ask Michael Vick about trying to always win games with your legs. Maybe he'll get better in the pocket but right now he's won games because Gore is a freak of nature, because he himself can gash a defense for a 150 a game and because of that defense. I think he's really talented but I've seen nothing from him a throwing of the ball standpoint to suggest he's anything but average. Eleven sub 200 passing yard games in a year is just crazy to me. 

Maybe this year but what about the previous year where Kaepernick ran for 181 yards 2TDs and threw for 263 yards with 2 more TDs? I think he has a higher ceiling than Alex and that's how Harbaugh felt. I have nothing against Alex.

Alex had one full year in Jim's system. His QB rating jumped up nearly ten points in that year to the highest it had ever been. The year Smith got benched he had a 104 QB rating and only five int's. Alex Smith would have won in Indy if his defense didn't collapse. I'm not sure what Smith's "ceiling" is since Kaep lost his game for his team (three turnovers, etc) than Smith lost his game for his team. I have a lot of concerns when it comes to Colin throwing the ball. You have to throw the ball to win in the NFL its just the way it is. He's not going to have Gore for the rest of his career (or for much more of it) and that defense won't always be there to keep things low. He dropped 400 on Green Bay because at this point he's what 3-0 against them? They can't beat him period. However he doesn't even have another 300 yard until the last game of the season. He threw for for 203 yards or lower ELEVEN times. His completion percentage was under 60 percent this year. My biggest concern is that Colin has done almost absolutely nothing from an NFL starting QB standpoint in the pocket. Ask Michael Vick about trying to always win games with your legs. Maybe he'll get better in the pocket but right now he's won games because Gore is a freak of nature, because he himself can gash a defense for a 150 a game and because of that defense. I think he's really talented but I've seen nothing from him a throwing of the ball standpoint to suggest he's anything but average. Eleven sub 200 passing yard games in a year is just crazy to me. 

His wide receivers were essentially you, me, Air Bud and occasionally Anquan Boldin.

• Like 1

First... you can look at passing yards but it also might help to look at attempts and YPA. Kaep was 20th in pass attempts HOWEVER he was 9th in Yards Per Attempt. Keep that in mind. Alex Smith was 29th in YPA.

Boldin had a decent year considering he was facing double teams with no Crabtree and Davis in and out with concussions. Kaep played better when he got his #1 receiver from '12 back? Isn't that expected? You think Wilson might have been more productive the last six weeks if he had a healthy Harvin and/or Rice? I don't care who you are.. you need competent receivers. Even Brady's numbers were far from spectacular without his. And Why would anyone compare Indy's terrible defense to Seattle's great defense? I don't need to know what Alex would have done in Seattle because I witnessed it every time he played the Giants.

So NFL Network are doing the traditional loop of Super Bowl highlights and I'd forgotten just how hard the Seahawks were done by. The shield must owe the Seahawks some debt from the reffing hilarity of XL.

I maintain the Tuck Rule Coupon game is still the much bigger travesty. As shady as the calls were in Super Bowl XL the final score was still 21-10 which in many ways means it wasn't much worse than the recent Panthers/9ers Divisional game. All we really know is if all those shady calls don't go against the Seahawks, it's a close game with no real indicator of who wins.

On the other hand, once Brady isn't bailed out by some archaic crock of shit rule after the strip/sack by Charles Woodson we know the Raiders kneel down, run the clock out and eliminate those assholes.

So......Pot. Kettle. Black.

So NFL Network are doing the traditional loop of Super Bowl highlights and I'd forgotten just how hard the Seahawks were done by. The shield must owe the Seahawks some debt from the reffing hilarity of XL.

I maintain the Tuck Rule Coupon game is still the much bigger travesty. As shady as the calls were in Super Bowl XL the final score was still 21-10 which in many ways means it wasn't much worse than the recent Panthers/9ers Divisional game. All we really know is if all those shady calls don't go against the Seahawks, it's a close game with no real indicator of who wins.

On the other hand, once Brady isn't bailed out by some archaic crock of shit rule after the strip/sack by Charles Woodson we know the Raiders kneel down, run the clock out and eliminate those assholes.

So......Pot. Kettle. Black.

People also forget Mike Holmgren's horrible clock management in Super Bowl XL.

• Like 1

The officiating in that game is easily summed up by the fact that Matt Hasselbeck got a fifteen yard penalty for making a legal tackle that the refs called a block.

On the other hand, once Brady isn't bailed out by some archaic crock of shit rule...

It was a new rule at the time, 2-3 seasons old.

Thing about the tuck rule is that, dumb as therule is, it was called correctly.

Pretty much. Don't hate the playa...