DVDVR Message Board

True Detective

caley

Justin Lin is on board to direct the first two episodes of the eight-episode season. Lensing is set to begin later this fall in California for a January premiere.

There’s still no word about additional cast members, which are expected to include a femme in the role of a police officer. »

This is the scariest part of the TD news.  Vaughn and Farrell both have some good performances, Kitsch has a weird charisma and the list of female actors they've auditioned are pretty darn good.  But Justin Lin might be be a little too sleek of a directing style to suit TD.  I'm hoping it's more of a callback to 'Better Luck Tomorrow' and less of a 'Fast and the Furious' vibe, cuz I liked Lin's FF movies, but they would be totally wrong in tone for TD

I'm scared the changing of director(s) is gonna fuck with the flow more than anything. Twitter was it's usual cesspit of self-entitlement vitriol at the casting news but I'm cool with it. I'm sure people would've moaned about Mcconaughey & Harrelson if they'd known/cared last year.

With that said I think one of the reasons the first season worked so well was their natural chemistry and friendship soooo...

I'd love to see Sandler do something serious again.

As much as I hate nearly everything he's done in the last 15 years...  Punch Drunk Love is a damn great movie.

Sandler's in both the newest Jason Reitman and Thomas McCarthy movies.  (The McCarthy one is supposed to be bad, though.)

• 3 months later...

I'd love to see Sandler do something serious again.

As much as I hate nearly everything he's done in the last 15 years...  Punch Drunk Love is a damn great movie.

Sandler's in both the newest Jason Reitman and Thomas McCarthy movies.  (The McCarthy one is supposed to be bad, though.)

The Reitman one is supposedly not much better, and I think you can rent it through VOD if not now before the end of the month. 

Did you binge watch any of it?  I thought of it as the anti-binge show since every episode was so bleak I wanted to hang myself afterward -- no way could I watch more than one in a sitting.

Not as rough as binging on The Leftovers. I didn't do that but my friend did. I wasn't sure if he was gonna make it.

and Matthew McCo.....fuck

anyway, he should get some sort of whatever award it is for doing a good job at being fake for a tv show. 

I thought it was awesome that he was cool as the other side of the pillow throughout the season (save a couple instances yelling @ Woody's screen wife for being c word, and smacking that one dude around in the interrogation scene) until the final shot when he actually broke down and showed emotion.  Him talking about dying and the feelz...that was bad ass.

• 2 months later...