DVDVR Message Board

General Lucha Libre Comments

Robert

Here's the Crash card's results from Cubs' blog, along with some video

Spoiler

The Crash (SAT) 01/21/2017 Auditorio de Tijuana, Tijuana, Baja California [+Lucha, El Tijuanese, TKD]

1) Arkángel Divino b Black Danger © [The Crash JUNIOR]
Ultimo Maldito & Mirage are the seconds. Black Danger falls on his third defense.

2) Ángel Metálico, Black Boy, Oraculo b Ryan Kidd, Tiago, Tony Casanova
Kidd replaced Douglas James

3) Bestia 666 & Jinzo b Jack Evans & Rey Horus
Jinzo replaced Mr. 450 (injury) on 01/21. Two mystery men in Fishman & Canek masks ran in and attacked Rey Horuz, leading to Bestia 666 getting the pin. The mystery men attacked the referee and the other wrestlers after the match, with Super Crazy & Juventud Guerrera rushing in for the save. Fishman and Canek unmasked as Garza Jr. & Daga as the Perros del Mal music played. Rey Fenix, the Hardys and Nicho all ran in for a standoff, and the luchadors from the match were there too. No one (in the ring) was quite sure who with, and Juvy pointed out Rey Fenix was without a partner. The Perros music played again, and a man rode in standing on the back of a motorcyle seat, with his face obscured by a helmet. Fenix brought him into the ring and introduced him as cero miedo – it was Pentagon. Pentagon announced he was forming a team with his brothers
4) Flamita © b AR Fox [The Crash CRUISER] Flamita (C) vs. AR Fox, 2017-01-21 [The Crash Cruiserweight] (posted by TKD117)
second defense. Very good match.

5) Brian Cage & Scorpió Sky b Jeff Cobb & Willie Mack
Scorpio Sky replaced La Mascara, and this was turned into a tag match.

6) Fénix El Rey & Penta el 0M b Jeff Hardy & Matt Hardy and Juventud Guerrera & Súper Crazyand Bestia 666 & Nicho el Millionario and Daga & Garza Jr.
Originally a 3v3 with Fenix & the Hardys vs Mexicools (Juvy, Nicho, Super Crazy), eventually a five way tag match. This was announced for the now vacant The Crash Tag Team titles (Garza & Ultimo Ninja.) Pentagon beat Bestia, leading Crazy & Juvy to protest since those two guys weren’t even supposed to be in the match. They called out Konnan, who decided Fenix & Penta would instead get a title shot some point down the line and they’d hold a Hardys vs Crazy/Juvy match now to determine the new champions instead.

7) Jeff Hardy & Matt Hardy b Juventud Guerrera & Súper Crazy [The Crash TAG]
The Hardys won with their trademarks. Jeremy Borash was filming from ringside (so this will likely air on a future Impact.)

+LuchaTV posted a TV version of the big angle:

Penta just goes to show that the most dapper look in all of professional wrestling is still a guy in a mask wearing a suit. 

The IWRG 1/22 show had a couple good matches. The FIVE MATCH FIGHTERS was awesome! Definitely a must-watch. And the Relampago/Imposible match was a really fun heated brawl. Too bad they skipped the Ninja Turtles vs X-Fly match.

• 2 weeks later...

So... I feel like watching lucha again, but I'm way out of the loop.  What company should I be watching and who is getting pushed or is just awesome in the ring?

I kept up with CMLL and AAA pretty regularly from late 90's-2010 or thereabouts.  Haven't watched much since 2008 aside from Lucha Underground.  Last thing I remember well is Konnan's La Leigon consisting of about 900 interchangeable foreigners and a couple luchadores.  So my knowledge of lucha in the 2000's is decent and my knowledge of the lucha scene in 2010 is LU, the Hector Garza-Rey Mysterio tag match that ended tragically, and... Rush is awesome, I guess.  Oh, and Sin Cara has changed his name a bunch of times since he can't get the Mistico name or workrate back.

Who should i be watching and where's a good place to start?  Thanks.

A good place to start would be Cubsfan's match of the year lists. Here's his 2016 list and there are links to most everything not lucha underground. The blog also has weekly recommendations and all of the news. 

CMLL is the promotion to watch as AAA looks more like a sinking ship right now with so many top performers leaving. 

What is the Lucha Azteca that seems to have replaced CMLL? It's 90 minutes but it was pretty bad with guys I've never heard of botching moves left and right and matches falling apart. Did I just watch a bad week or something?

1 minute ago, odessasteps said:

Folks should def watch the final of the touramemt from tonight with volador/cavernaro vs ultimo/valiente. Crazy match and great finish. 

They tore it up at Arena Mexico tonight. No bullshit partners fighting. 100% agree!

That was phenomenal and will certainly be up there with the best matches of the year. The welt on Valiente's back was pretty damned gross if not unsurprising when you take into account Volador's dive that caused it. Those four busted their asses off. Shame about Cavernario just missing Valiente at the end of the second fall but it's easily forgettable because the third fall was magic.

Valiente's half and half mask was choice too.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd recommend the first two matches on that show (Star Jr/Robin vs. Cancerebro/Raziel and Soberano/Triton/Esfinge vs. Misterioso, Sagrado, Bobby Z) as well if you went straight for the (very good) main event, there's some really fun stuff in there.

7 hours ago, Robert said:

Matt, what story are you planning to pretend Diamante Azul & Pierroth are telling on March 17th? :)

First off, I'm pretty certain Phil and I will defer to Eric for that match and he'll undoubtedly write the best review on the internet of it. I'm looking forward to reading that more than the match itself.

As for what story I would have written about, were I to, well, that'd depend upon the happenings in the match itself. There are dots. I connect them. That's what I do. Sometimes there's a danger of ascertaining intent where it's not there, but I don't think I make any truly great leaps. 

For Volador and Yoshitatsu, it wasn't even all that hard. It's Occam's Razor. Both guys are 15 year vets. Both have wrestled in multiple different settings. Volador was in his home territory, obviously. Tatsu had the benefit of working with WWE agents (presumably Finlay? But others as well) for years. I think you're one of those who claim that, despite being one of the absolute worst storytellers I've ever seen in the ring, Volador does care a lot about his craft and think about wrestling. I figure that means he cares about innovative spots far more than moving hearts and minds through logic and consequence, but still, caring is caring. It was Tatsu's last match in Mexico. It was his only singles match. It was in his interest to try to hone his gimmick, even if it wasn't necessarily in his interest to do or catch big dives. He had Mascara on the outside to help direct traffic. Lots of logical little bits of context.

I found some really easy dots to connect (early ambush for short rudo fall, Mascara interference to keep some heat, delayed dives to keep the heat on, flash comedy tecnico fall based on the Mascara/Sombra hand up shirt pull off spot which Tatsu was trying out, Volador smiling and enjoying himself in that moment, tercera that started with the dives and moved on to some moves/bombs and near falls like any other and then the goofy tirantes finish that actually weirdly fit the match). That's what happened in the match. Those are the factual data points. To me, it's a lot simpler to believe given the actual happenings of the match and the very easy structure that it can fit into that there was a story. It's far more difficult to believe and far less likely that thought that they came out without any idea what they were going to do, called it in the ring, and came up with that. Even if they did, what they came up with was mostly logical and reasonable. It just wasn't very good. It's one thing to say that it was a bad match. It's another thing to say that I'm contriving a story when I'm just laying out what happened in the match and connecting a few dots. It's not rocket science here.

There were problems but they were either execution problems or "They did not put on the match that you wanted" problems. It wasn't a typical Volador match, certainly not a typical Volador main event match, but I think it wasn't all that far off from what you'd see in a CMLL comedy trios at certain points, with a few more bombs towards the end. The fans were heckling it because of how poorly Tatsu managed to execute the very typical "let me stop you and take off my shirt" spot, not that they were doing it. For some ungodly reason that spot almost always worked when Shocker and Sombra were wrestling. Tatsu was clumsy and awkward. I'm not arguing otherwise, but I watched Taichi's excursion from 2010 and it felt a lot down the same (very intentional) lines. Taichi was even worse at pulling it off than Tatsu was here. 

I think what people missed in my review was that I was giving Volador far more credit than usual. In a match where he wasn't able to lean on his usual crutches of just hitting a lot of well-executed spots (sometimes repeatedly), he did carry things, not with athleticism but with his emotiveness and by selling what was going on in the ring emotionally. There was the shit eating grin when he got the roll up in the segunda and a certain level of exasperated bemusement when Taichi was trying some of his antics in the tercera, that made them resonate when they really shouldn't have. Maybe I'm giving HIM too much credit though, because maybe he was just bemused. At the end of the day, it's just another matter of having dots to connect, though. Intent doesn't necessarily matter so long as he responds in a way that helps the match. Here, he did. 

It's hard for me to accept that Tatsu was trying to tell any kind of story when I was flat out told he hated Mexico, doesn't wanna come back & his performance may or may not have been purposely to make sure nobody from CMLL asked him to return. I understand art is subjective and all that but I didn't see Tatsu honing any gimmick. I saw a guy being as unprofessional as a possible in order to express his displeasure with his overseas assignment from the home company.

The crowd left unhappy. A bit happy because Volador won but generally unhappy because they knew that was a bad match. Whether you wanted to see a typical Volador match or not, they wanted to see it. This is a fact I feel like you often miss when discussing Volador but that's for another discussion. He would have happily obliged if not for an unwilling opponent who showed up purposely looking to sabatoge a match. I understand wrestling is art, art is subjective, blah blah... but this is a factual data point: There was no logic in the match. There was Tatsu trying to annoy everyone involved and deliver the worst performance possible. If you enjoyed it, all the more power to you. But I assure you whatever story you think you saw was all in your own head.