DVDVR Message Board

General Lucha Libre Comments

Robert

38 minutes ago, Charlie M. said:

Thanks. That's actually the match I watched originally that led me to asking the question! I found a couple more and a few singles matches with Octagon to check out later.

I find it funny that out of all the Fuerza matches in the world (and there are a lot) you had already seen the one that came to mind.

There's always this!

And this.

• Like 1

On 11/5/2016 at 8:18 PM, zev said:

Does anyone here know of any respectable lucha mask sales websites? Either custom designs or replicas of active wrestlers would be fine.

I used Mr. Maskman's site this year to get my Pentagon Jr. mask, he's got a great selection and the quality was much nicer then the Mephisto mask I got from Highspots the year before.

http://mrmaskman.com/

• Like 1

The Hechicero vs. Rey Bucanero match made me quite happy indeed. Hechicero did his usual wonderful mat stuff, and while Bucanero isn't exactly Negro Casas in that regard (as far as I can tell, at least), he works well enough on defense. I liked the drama here a lot and I liked Bucanero deciding he needed to go nuclear with high-risk moves to put Hechicero down.

Your emotional mileage may vary if you haven't grown to love Hechicero over the past year and are therefore thrilled with him getting a title match, but the crowd was really loudly behind him by the end too, so it may not.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Tonight's CMLL is some kind of Dinastias tournament with trios matches featuring:

negro casas, puma, tiger

mistico, dragon lee, pierroth

mascara 2000, cuetero, sanson

blue panter, bp jr, t. Panther

prob will be a cluster, might be good. 

I've been wondering something for the people who have been watching lucha for a while now. I've been wondering why do some or maybe most you do not like Octagon. I have no real opinion about him since I haven't seen much of his matches. I am just curious about why people do not like him. 

He wasn't terrible in the match with Hijo del Santo against Barr & Guerrero.

Octagon seems like a pretty big dick. Like when AAA put someone into an Octagon Jr. gimmick, he showed up to a public appearance with some heavys and threatened the guy.

There are a lot of luchadors who are not great but Octagon also specifically suffers (if that's even the right word) for being on the top of AAA for decades without being good. Octagon hasn't come off ever as being an interesting character since his early days, and he's had very few great matches after that tag match. AAA made Octagon one of their flagship characters after the '96 split with Konnan, but he's never came off as top guy - more like a guy trying to find the minimum amount he can get by doing. (Given the length of his career and his regular part of it, it's possible no one's had as many ** or below quality TV matches than Octagon - at least in Mexico, that seems like a safe bet.) Octagon was an obstacle to more exciting wrestlers getting a shot, with AAA keeping him on top out of loyalty and in creating/maintaining an in-house legend. Lucha promotions keep their older company stars far longer than elsewhere and have no plan (or interest) to phase them out of the top matches, figuring most of the fans are nostalgia fans who will overlook bad performances, and Octagon's still pretty remembered and popular from fans who grew up watching him on TV every week and see him with those warm memories. If you don't have that context, Octagon is just out there having poor matches for a long period of time. It might be forgiven if Octagon was like Villano III, with a history of great matches to trade off of, but Octagon was just a guy who was considered dated two decades ago and is still trying to promote himself as being of the moment. 

There are some things that are out of Octagon's control but haven't helped his image. The never ending feud with Fuerza Guerrera, something that started as a mask match for 1991, is probably more Fuerza's fault for backing out of doing the match multiple times. Octagon might have had another epic match with the first Pentagon if he nearly died, and it took two more Pentagons and many more years to get to that match. Octagon might even be right about his claims about owning his name (though that seems doubtful) and shouldn't have to resort histrionics and stunts to gain attention to his issue, but the way he's behaved has made him very easy to write off as yet another bitter cynical old luchador. 

On 12/3/2016 at 4:06 PM, Hector said:

Is there a more intelligent worker in the history of wrestling than Negro Casas? I mean even if it has no applications to real life combat, it blows my mind the things he's able to up with on the fly. 

One thing that amazes me about Casas is that you can watch almost any match of his from almost any point in his history and he's almost certain to do at least one thing you've never seen him do before and you'll never see him do again. It's insane.