DVDVR Message Board

General Lucha Libre Comments

Robert

On the new podcast, i talk to TKD about his trip to see the Cara Lucha anniversary show. And more assorted lucha talk about the AAA world cup, usual annoying CMLL booking, luchadors working in the US and more. We also talk lucha with Matt, plus comic book and movie talk. 

Shocking also the pod's 1 year birthday. I will stick my ipod in a cake.

Http://tinyurl.com/pod33

• Like 1

I didn't hate the Stuka vs UG finish. They were having a really good match (for a short segunda CMLL title match) before it became UG paint by numbers, but the finish surprised me. I don't think it was a case of no selling so much as UG being ready for the Stuka splash and letting the sheer momentum of the move carry them both over, where he was able to pick up a quick pin due to Stuka being worn out from his own impact (And just eating the Guerrero Special, on top of the cumulative damage of all of UG's moves). I buy Guerrero as a guy who is savvy enough to pull off something like that and sneak out a win and I don't think it made Stuka look all that bad, especially since Guerrero sold like death after the match. Just kicking out of the Special is a fairly big deal, really. There's a big difference between carrying momentum forward and getting up and hitting a spot or what have you. 

At the risk of ruining the gimmick that Matt & I disagree on pretty much everything I do have to say I probably overreacted a bit at the finish watching live & actually on second watch really liked it. My immediate thought went back to 2006 when UG/Rey Bucanero had their big break-up and feuded which led to the big first ever match where they did that ABSURD finish where UG hits the Guerrero Special, gets two, then Bucanero immediatly cradles him, wins & jumps up celebrating. A finish they repeated often and was more absurd every time. This one was different... mainly due to UG's great post-match selling. The move connected flush but UG used the split second to muster up all his energy and roll up a stunned Stuka. No doubt the move had him beat as you could tell with his post-match selling. Stuka came off looking dumb but I'm okay with that.

Rob, I really hate that UG/Rey finish too. That match killed Bucanero dead. In fact, they almost fooled me into thinking it was going to happen last night right at the point of the Guerrero Special kick out. I really thought we were going to see a flash Stuka win. I do think there are interesting things about the UG formula title match and ritual when it comes to wrestling and a crowd who are there to see almost a religious experience, or maybe a performance of Rocky Horror or something, in which they know what willl happen and just want to go through those motions. A company that cared, with planning, could use this, play up that Stuka came so close and run another match where he knew he couldn't put UG away with the splash and needed another way to beat him, and that could make for a really exciting finishing stretch. This is CMLL, though, so I feel stupid even letting myself envision such a thing.

Machine Rocker: (Semental) now Taurus

Soul Rocker: (Nuevo Laredo Tito Santana) still around, but used sparingly on TV

Devil Rocker: (Picudo) left AAA in mid 2015, works indie occasionally

Demon Rocker: (Ultimo Gladiador) the current Parka Negra if I'm remembering right

Uro Rocker: let go, deemed not very good

Caught that and the trios main. Cavernario is another one I could see getting poached by NXT if they aren't careful... he's young, can work and has a TON of charisma. Plus you have to love a rudo dressed as Fred Flintstone.

Does Claro always stream the ArenaMex shows for free or was this a one off?

Random lucha story:  I had a dinner meeting for work with a few people from a Mexican based company earlier this week, that's based out of Monterrey.  As people were making small talk, someone asked what sports are popular in Mexico, and one of them mentioned "Mexican wrestling... but you've probably never heard of it".  They said they'd take me to a show if/when we go down to visit their offices, since they've done it for other customers... and one of them talked about how they used to get dragged to shows all over Mexico every weekend by their father.

Alas, when they asked if I had any masks, and I said I had Averno's, it was met with a "Who's that??" 

• 2 weeks later...

Per Dave

Luke Fordward, the CMLL wrestler known as Thunder, passed away today.

Daniel Lopez, (Hall of Famer El Satanico), his trainer and the father of Fordward's girlfriend, had reported a few days ago that he was gravely ill and needed a miracle.  It is believed that he passed away due to lung cancer.

In a translation of a quote by Fredo Esparza, Lopez talked about Fordward.

"I don't have the words to thank everyone for so many prayers and blessings," wrote Lopez. "Friends, family, confidants, every fan since all this has served.  Luke Fordward "Thunder," member of my family has left us today and I know that thanks to all of you best wishes his road was illuminated.  It hurts so much what we are going through and today he has beaten the damned cancer, but starting today we have much more strength from all of you to continue fighting and more importantly to cover to gran luchaadora, my daughter Daniela, and with the help of our angel that is now with God, we will come out of this difficult moment. Once again, thank you to everyone.  We will miss, you Luke,"

Fordward had been used as a headliner in CMLL until disappearing a few months ago.

For anyone who has The Fight Network in Canada, the CMLL shows are actually fairly recently. They seem to be about a month behind with usually 3 matches from CMLL Lucha Azteca. The commentary isn't great but one guy seems to know quite a bit. It's not off putting like the AAA commentary with Hugo.

This match was pretty damn entertaining...

Been watching some AAA/CMLL on The Fight Network and have some questions:
-What's the deal with Psycho Clown?  He seems super popular, wins all the time, kids love him but he seems pretty not very good.  He's constantly missing moves/screwiing up moves, slow, lazy, awkward and out of breath.  Am I just seeing a handful of bad matches?  Or is he like The Ultimate Warrior of Mexico?

-Watched the Rey de Reyes final and that's not the original La Parka, right?  I remember reading about that.  Is the new La Parka mediocre?  He seems pretty mediocre.  At the end of the show the Perros del Mar were confronted by a group of ex-Perros.  I recognized Damien and Halloween, and, I think, Nicho, but the commentary didn't seem to say who the other ones were.

-Not so much a question as an observation: Chessman was not what I was expecting at all.  I thought he was based off the game chess and would have like chessboard-patterned pants, maybe a crown.  Was not expecting a middle-aged goth dude based off a notorious murderer.

-What's the consensus in Mexico on Aerostar/Drago.  Given their Lucha Underground notoriety, and how popular they seem to be on American wrestling message boards and the like, I thought they would be main-eventers in Mexico, but they seem more like midcarders there. Is that right?  Or am I way off based on a small sample size? 

Psycho Clown is not a top worker, but he's usually better than that. 

The new La Parka aspires to be mediocre and is often terrible. (But like Psycho Clown, he's tremendously over with kids and families after being pushed as a top star for 2 decades; he may be winding down and they've obvious set up Psycho Clown to take over his role.)

The ex-Perros were Damian, Hallowen, Nicho and indie deathmatch luchador Pagano, who hadn't been in AAA or the Perros before. The initial angle started as Perros versus Perros, but it turns out to be an introduction to Pagano as a major player in AAA.

You're right on Aerostar & Drago's positioning. They're better used than they were before Lucha Underground started (and end up better used for the moment due to injuries), but rarely positioned as more than midcarders. 

• Like 1