DVDVR Message Board

General Lucha Libre Comments

Robert

Dorada was incredible in front of a shit crowd who didn't deserve that performance but the Negro trios match was amazing. They started out 100mph, sped up, did everything... and kept going. My favorite match so far this year.

This was that yearly CMLL show where everything happens to set up the rest of the year.

I'm not going to nitpick that card by any means, but I probably would have preferred some differentiation between the two big matches, be Rush/Mascara vs Maximo/Marco mask/hair vs hair/hair or Rush vs Maximo for the heavyweight title.

Cubs, any idea when's Shocker coming back? Are they ever going to do anything with the tag titles?

Well the last time CMLL randomly broke up a stable & had a guy expected to win a match end up losing it we all know what happened. So if Rush loses, I guess so.:) (I'm thinking no this time though for a couple reasons)

Honestly it won't matter what they add to the card, I already love it just based on those 3 matches and knowing the inevitable Caristico match is getting on there.

Volador Jr./Rush seems like a lock for the Anniversary Show, maybe Rush goes out the same way Sombra did. I'm not sure that singles hair match allows CMLL to charge the prices they want though so I wonder if Caristico/Atlantis somehow get mixed in. CMLL seems comfortable knowing they can name their price if Atlantis is on top and I don't think Caristico came back to not be involved in a major way at the Anniversary *.

(* -> Unless ELITE ends up running their own major show but right now that doesn't look possible.)

1.) I really like watching Ultimo Guerrero and Rey Bucanero tag. They obviously have a lot of fun and do a bunch of things that they were doing back in 2001. I bet I have more nostalgia for it than people who watched them team year after year after year. 

2.) I wish I could go back in time and keep Dr. Wagner, Jr. away from Caristico so he didn't pick up his bad habits of playing to the crowd instead of selling while getting pummeled by multiple people during a beat down.

3.) How can you not feel bad for Mistico II?

Bringing out all the masked rudos (including Ripper/Reaper and his snake) to promote some play(?) with a ghost, for a bunch of photo ops, was the weirdest thing I saw all day. 

CdUh7sqUsAA2hum.jpg

The rudo team of Kamaitachi, Cavernario, and Negro Casas is the best thing possible, though. 

I had a blast watching tonight. You can count on CMLL for good wrestling most of the time but when they combine good wrestling with stuff actually happening it makes for a much better overall product. Even the crappiest match tonight had something happen at the end which sets up next week and is a fresh match-up with lots of possible outcomes (UG vs Ciber).

My favorite match was Volador/Negro. Negro is an absolute legend. What 56 year old tries a super frankensteiner and takes a sunset flip bomb to the floor? THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU OLD MAN? Loved the shots of both Casas' daughter & Volador's son. Mexico vs Japan was a good match & Rush/Maximo told a great story. They really put Rush over huge not even giving Maximo a win (Rush got DQ'ed in first fall). That's rare for CMLL as even in matches like Casas/Parka or Maximo/Kamaitachi where the outcome is never in doubt they tend to do the generic 50/50 match going 3 falls.

The only disapointment I'd say was the opener where they really worked an awful match considering what their goal was & then Soberano came out of the match injured. I wouldn't say the work was bad, although it wasn't close to great. It was just the total package came off bad as they went too long which annoyed the crowd & were doing nearfalls/big drama selling in a match that just needed to be in and out with lots of exciting spots.

Things are happening in Mexico. If you follow the news in addition to just the results you better strap yourselves in for an exciting upcoming week or two.

• Like 2

CMLL Puebla was excellent tonight, capped off by a very good Caristico/Ultimo Guerrero main event in front of a jam packed crowd. I thought it was the best the Japanese kids have looked so far & they even built up a Mascara Dorada/Cavernario match for next Monday or 4/3.

I wouldn't go that far. Seemed like pretty standard "big match" stuff from both of them. Anything stand out in particular for you?

That is to say, it was a very good match but I wouldn't put it up with the best of LU. I liked Caristico's match against Rush better than this and preferred UG's hair match vs. Escorpion as well. Thanks for the link!

I meant more in the sense that very few people talk about CMLL on here so it's a really good match that will likely be forgotten in comparison to LU. I wouldn't say this is a MOTYC or anything but I think part of why I enjoyed it so much is that it's been a long time since they've had a singles match so all their standard big match stuff felt fresh.