DVDVR Message Board

General Lucha Libre Comments

Robert

Hi folks, question for a lucha casual/newbie here:

While dipping my toes into more lucha stuff, I cam across a video called 'Luchas Dramaticas'. I think its produced by AAA and shows a bunch of bad injuries (perhaps in the spirit of "wrestling is hard, don't try this at home"?), one of the clips featured Abismo Negro hitting the tombstone/Martinete on a member of the Brenan twins team in a cage - cue shots of ladies in the stands in shock and crying etc.

What was the deal with those guys, were they actors brought in for a limited deal to get Abismo Negro over as a cold hearted killer? I can't seem to find much/any info on them apart from the cage match and one other match. Thanks!

Here's the clip in question, the rest of the 'Luchas Dramaticas' is quite brutal (especially the Gronde injury):https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcVIDA75oqk

They were actors brought in for that reason and it was huge. After that Abismo was called the king of the piledriver.

It was also the first lucha libre show I saw. Was flipping around channels and it was that cage match, and I was hooked.

They were actors brought in for that reason and it was huge. After that Abismo was called the king of the piledriver.

It was also the first lucha libre show I saw. Was flipping around channels and it was that cage match, and I was hooked.

Thanks! I thought so as they only did 2 matches and looks like they had the logo of a TV show or something on their gear. They hit some ok moves (for non lucha guys) and were over as hell by the sounds of it.

Thanks! I thought so as they only did 2 matches and looks like they had the logo of a TV show or something on their gear. They hit some ok moves (for non lucha guys) and were over as hell by the sounds of it.

Duro y Directo, the cop show (I think) they starred in.

Does anyone know of any sites with Mexican title histories that go way back? Just curious because I read that the recognised world lightweight champion beaten by George Kidd in 1949/50 was a Mexican called Rudi Quarez (Juarez? I tried a bunch of variations and spellings of the names), who doesn't seem to exist outside of the record of the title match in Dundee. Was this just some guy doing a convenient job? Was anyone even promoting a world lightweight title in Mexico in the 40's? Is there anyone on record who might fit the bill? It's an odd question I realise, figured this was the best thread for it.

And because google takes you all over the place looking for information - Here's an interesting cultural anthropology paper on Ruby Gardenia.

This paper focuses on Tijuana-based wrestler Ruby Gardenia, a luchador exótico who wrestles under the surname of “La Chiquilla de Tijuana” and not only takes part in the national as well as international representation of lucha libre tijuanense, but also in the representation of the very border city of Tijuana. Beginning with an introduction and theoretical framing of Gardenia’s work as an exotic wrestler, this paper retraces the transformation of Fernando Covarrubias, a gay immigrant from the southern Mexican state of Nayarit, into Tijuana’s most famous luchador exótico by paying special attention to dynamics of gender and sexuality in the context of migration and immigrant life in the border city. Inspired by Homi K. Bhabha’s concept of ‘third space’, Gloria Anzaldúa’s ‘new mestiza consciousness’, and Heather Levi’s concept of lucha libre as a practice of ‘staging contradiction’ I finally discuss Ruby Gardenia’s agency being a luchador exótico in a multifaceted interstice.

Which lead me to SUPERBARRIO, who is awesome, and says he worked around Mexico City as Principe Negro in the early 80's, there's a documentary about him and his crew as well, here's the trailer -

Kind of hyped for Super Gay vs Homofobia.

There definitely appears to be regional lightweight championships and the one big national one, but I haven't ever seen mention of a world lightweight championship. 40s lucha is not something I know a lot about but it would surprise me if there was one. The only group promoting World championships would've been EMLL pushing NWA ones, and there hasn't been an NWA lightweight championship.

• Like 1

Probably not a Mexican after all, if this cryptic little bio on wrestlingheritage is anything to go by -

We have no knowledge of this lightweight, billed as Mexican, and include him because our only record is that he was the champion defeated by George Kidd in Dundee on 25th October, 1949, to annexe the World Lightweight Championship for George.

Well, that's not exactly true. The bit about us having no knowledge. But you'll have to wait for now.

Kidd then goes into a series of matches against Rene Ben Chemoul to settle any dispute, so it's probably just to put Kidd's claim over better.

Does anyone know of any sites with Mexican title histories that go way back? Just curious because I read that the recognised world lightweight champion beaten by George Kidd in 1949/50 was a Mexican called Rudi Quarez (Juarez? I tried a bunch of variations and spellings of the names), who doesn't seem to exist outside of the record of the title match in Dundee. Was this just some guy doing a convenient job? Was anyone even promoting a world lightweight title in Mexico in the 40's? Is there anyone on record who might fit the bill? It's an odd question I realise, figured this was the best thread for it.

Wrestling Titles has a pretty healthy section on the Mexican titles, although there seems to be a gap in their timeline on the LW title you're looking for.

It was a fun show, especially considering most of the good guys are in Japan so I was expecting the worst. Only Thunder delivered on that as usual.

The botched Mistica was weird because Rush's own brother uses that as a finish so you'd think they practice it often. Of course he does his differently than Caristico so maybe that was the deal.