DVDVR Message Board

General Lucha Libre Comments

Robert

If it makes anyone feel better - the staplegun spot got zero extra reaction live and the crowd around us was beyond confused by the main event angle. Nobody could understand who were the tecs/rudos or why Pentagon/Averno were suddenly friends again after being against each other earlier in the night. So if us internet people are "uninformed", so are the regular folks & I'd love to meet these mysterious "informed" people.

My negativity on the actual show shouldn't be confused for having a good time. I had a great time. When my instagram videos get posted you'll hear it yourself b/c I didn't filter my yelling and screaming as in years past.

In total my group ended up buying 17 Pentagon Jr. t-shirts overall. I have it on good authority Pentagon Jr. will be KINDA OVER on BOLA weekend based on people I know who have front row seats.

Speaking of Pentagon Jr. shirts, I went to this week's RAW taping and spotted one Pentagon Jr. shirt, an Alberto El Patron shirt (guy said he got it from the ROH site), a man wearing what looked like a bootleg Sexy Star mask, a few random lucha masks that I couldn't immediately associate with a particular wrestler, and of course my own Lucha World Order shirt. We got there late so if the Lucha Dragons were in a dark match, we missed it. But we were there in time to see Los Matadores.

You guys haven't been watching nearly enough lucha if you think an apuestas challenge (especially from Mistico) means the match is actually going to happen

Mistico even botches making challenges?

Grandstand challenges occur daily. On every show pretty much. Octagon & Fuerza Guerrera have made a career out of it and are now at the point where even if they do it nobody gives a fuck. It's the risk you take when entering that business.

I'd do a podcast point/counterpoint with you, but we value different things so I don't think it would be a very productive or interesting talk.

It's not a matter of me necessarily disagreeing with your claims about a lot of the specifics of his work (though I imagine not all). I think he's very good at doing a lot of the things that you think he's very good at doing. We just disagree about how much those elements matter relative to other elements, basically. The only statement I was really examining was whether or not he was a WOTY contender (by the same criteria that I'm going to use to judge any other person I look at for that position; I may be a jerk but I'm a consistent jerk), and that was worth doing based of the possibility that his 2015 was different than many of his previous years, which I don't think is a crazy notion, in and of itself, considering, let's say, the surprising resurgence of AJ Styles into a WOTY contender over the last few years. As we get closer to the end of the year, I'll look at other candidates who people suggest too. I'm already looking at Dragon Lee upcoming and I looked at Titan earlier in the year, alongside Cavernario and Casas and Virus who I watch as much of as I can.

Point is, I think we'd just be talking past each other due to the subjective nature of wrestling so it wouldn't be too compelling. I've enjoyed your road reports to Mexico over the last weeks though.

The Chilanga Mask show from Sunday is getting pretty great reviews. The +Lucha TV channel on YouTube will be uploading it in full on Sunday around 6pm. Completely free! Not sure why but I ain't complaining!

Seen two matches so far - Dr. Cerebro/Virus & the wild 4 way trios match. Enjoyed both immensely for very different reasons.

I just turned the CMLL press conference on and it's not yet started, so there's noise in the background of people talking, and "Creep" by Radiohead is playing. 

For some reason that cracked me up way more than it should have.

So:

CMLL Press Conference:

Bodybuilding competition in Nov.

New lottery tickets with CMLL guys on them.

Wagner Jr. returning soon.

L.A. Park returning sometime (and wanting Rush and apparently to create an Indy invasion).

Atlantis vs Sombra, Mask vs Mask at the Anniversary, with five weeks build.