DVDVR Message Board

General Lucha Libre Comments

Robert

At least there was that stretch where we only heard Stryker for a while and then neither. I've come to enjoy most of Stryker's schtick but this wasn't good. The loud buzzing wasn't even the worst part of the audio. :)

I'm a bit biased because I really don't like the WWE Lite version of AAA that it has turned into, but CMLL is good on a regular basis.

AAA's only talent I'm interested in is Pentagon Jr. Heel Mistico doesn't sound too bad.

Main Event was pretty fun though.

Given the abundance now available streaming, i would say try watching CMLL if current AAA was not to your liking.

Tips for following CMLL:

1.) Figure out what wrestlers you like. Watch a bunch of matches to do so. Don't just watch the big ones, but watch the 4-5 matches building up. Watch something with wrestlers you've never heard of before. You'll probably have dozens, if not, hundreds of matches with the ones you figure out that you like over the last few years easily available to you. 

2.) Do not get invested in storylines. Don't ask me why not. Just don't. It's ok. CMLL isn't either.

3.) Once you figure out what you like, watch what you like and don't watch what you don't like. Take five minutes to read Cubsfans' stuff everyday to keep track of things. Enjoy the matches and the fun interactions for what they are. Watch a lot of what you like but don't watch too much or you'll get burnt out. You'll likely like different wrestlers with different styles. That's a good thing.

4.) Be careful if you're going to blog about it because then there's some things you really SHOULD cover. Try not to alienate too many people. It's a small community and generally a pretty welcoming one.

It can be really rewarding so long as you enjoy it for what it is and not what it should be. It can be endlessly frustrating if you leave those narrow lines though. 

• Like 1

I want to get into AAA because of the Lucha Underground connection but, man, do they make it tough. Going through thecubsfan's blog and his MOTYC lists, I'm starting to notice next to no AAA matches. And probably with good reason. Can you fine gents point me in the direction of some quality El Mesias and/or Pentagon Jr. matches? I've seen a few of the awesome Mesias/LA Park brawls from 3 or 4 years ago and really, really enjoyed them.

This show was really bad. I really think the over-hype of it being on US/Canada PPV along with the Dream Match covered up how bad the rest of the lineup was. Villano III shouldn't have even been allowed to wrestle. Then they decide to fill 1 more spot honoring Blue Demon Jr. which guaranteed another bad match on the card. That's 2 bad matches already with 4 left to carry the show.

Opening Relevos de Locura was ok. It really lacked Fabi on the tecnica side and looked like Goya Kong wasn't comfortable in the match early on. Pimpi's variation of La Reinera was bad-ass though.

The cage match was disappointing. You've got eight talented luchadores in that match and it was ok at best. They added more stips, why because AAA does that. Should have kept it as a 3-way without the cage, without the climbing up a scaffold to snap off a belt. Seemed like a waste to have all that talent in that match. 

AAA had Alberto vs. Cage at Verano de Escandalo with all the overbooked nonsense that AAA's known for and did the same thing for this match! Its weird because Cage as an indy worker is very talented and his athleticism really shows well at the indie level, but as a headline heel, I don't think his style works. He's a fun rudo, but not a guy who brings the hate or scares kids type of guy. He's no Rush or Pentagon Jr. as a rudo.

Rey Mysterio vs. Myzteziz was good. I didn't like the post-match stuff. 

I want to get into AAA because of the Lucha Underground connection but, man, do they make it tough. Going through thecubsfan's blog and his MOTYC lists, I'm starting to notice next to no AAA matches. And probably with good reason. Can you fine gents point me in the direction of some quality El Mesias and/or Pentagon Jr. matches? I've seen a few of the awesome Mesias/LA Park brawls from 3 or 4 years ago and really, really enjoyed them.

I would say the stuff on Cubsfan's MOTY lists is pretty accurate in regards to AAA. A lot of the good stuff tends to be spotty undercard matches and bloody brawls but apart from that it's not the hotbed of incredible matches that LU might suggest. IMO, the best Pentagon Jr. match in Mexico isn't with AAA but in the indy fed XMW.

I ended up watching it and pretty much concur with a lot of the sentiment aimed at the show. It was pretty bad, as much as I willing to give the benefit of the doubt with regards to the feed issues.

http://tvtimelimitremaining.co.uk/?p=384

Unfortunately, the formatting has gone a bit weird on some of the paragraphing - I'll look to try and fix it.

TL; DR - a bad show, with the only good thing being a decent main event. Bad booking, sub-par action and awful audio issues just add up to a forgettable experience.

I would say the stuff on Cubsfan's MOTY lists is pretty accurate in regards to AAA. A lot of the good stuff tends to be spotty undercard matches and bloody brawls but apart from that it's not the hotbed of incredible matches that LU might suggest. IMO, the best Pentagon Jr. match in Mexico isn't with AAA but in the indy fed XMW.

I've seen that and was in awe of the amount of blood, the beer bottle, Pentagon Jr.'s licking of said blood, and the fact that they look to be wrestling in a wet ring. So indy.

It definitely put some ideas in my head of what to expect from the cero miedo match. 

*Snip*

TL; DR - a bad show, with the only good thing being a decent main event. Bad booking, sub-par action and awful audio issues just add up to a forgettable experience.

AAA wishes this were just forgettable bad. This was offensively bad and probably scared the majority of new viewers away something fierce. I didn't have high expectations going in and I was warned about the possibility of technical issues (thanks guys), so I'll be watching their TV show here and there but no way will I give them my money again until they sort that shit out.

• Like 1

I'm generally low-maintenance and usually look for the bright side of things, but ... Triplemania just wasn't good. And I really wanted it to be. It was OK at best.

Audio issues -- Eh, stuff happens. I don't know whose fault it was, so I'm not gonna be too mad at AAA about it. Sometimes you plan for perfection and things beyond your control just go wrong on the big day. I mostly watch AAA on silent or with the sound down real low at work anyway, so I'm used to not hearing it.

Villanos vs. Psycho Circus -- It was bad, but everyone on the Villanos team is at or over 50 years old (I believe), so what did you expect? And it was a retirement match, so it was more about the moment and the tributes and less about the match.

Blue Demon -- No opinion, just a question: Is he retiring? I don't speak Spanish so I couldn't follow the tribute, and all the announcers would say was that they were honoring Blue Demon, but with no explanation why. Was he retiring? Being inducted into the Hall of Fame? Was this a farewell or just a lifetime achievement award?

Cage match -- Underwhelming. I think it would've been better without the Pentagon-Fantasma-Texano team. This was like TNA's Ultimate X match, and Texano and Pentagon aren't X-division types. I would've done Hell Brothers vs. Angelico-Evans-Fenix in the cage (one team of brawlers vs. one team of flyers works better) and then added a regular 3-on-3 match to the card with Pentagon-Fantasma-Texano vs. another group.

Alberto vs. Brian Cage -- I liked this one. The interference was unnecessary, but otherwise it was solid and the right guy won. Tables have been a big part of their feud leading up to Triplemania, so I thought the table stuff in their blowoff match made sense.

Main event -- Really good match, IMO. Great storytelling with Myzteziz turning to a brawling/striking offense when his usual stuff wasn't working and Rey having to adapt to that. With the post-match stuff, I don't see why they didn't have Lider-Averno-Pentagon surround Myzteziz and tease a beatdown, have Rey jump in to make the save, and then all four guys jump Rey, with Myzteziz leading the way. Unless the beatdown on Myzteziz was him getting "jumped in" to the new Perros del Mal or whatever it's gonna be called, it was unnecessary.

I'm watching Cubs Fan's weekly playlist.

I haven't realized that AAA has basically just turned into garbage wrestling most of the time it seems. Jack Evans & Angelico Vs. Hijo Del Pahantasma & Joe Lider could have been fun but then they had to pull a staple gun out for no conceivable reason other than "We are rudos in AAA"